Scamp or Escape? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #61

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It would be extremely difficult for anyone with even a moderate amount of intelligence to NOT realize your statement was hypothetical when it started “even if.” You are wrong, I knew what you were saying, and what your probable intentions were. I have had far too many conversations with you over the years not to know from where you are coming, and I would hope, you me. And I believe while we tend to “spar” with one another in good fun, we basically agree about many things. I just don’t share your good experiences with the company that built (or their product), what is for YOU, the finest trailer ever made.
Some say that the Duesenberg was the finest car ever built, I still prefer a Ford even from the same era... good, solid, reliable and relatively cheap.
Not sure which is the finest fiberglass trailer... Maybe Oliver? BigFoot? Nest? some even think it is Escape!
My Ford and my Scamp serve me well with a proven track record, I guess that's what counts.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #62

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Some say that the Duesenberg was the finest car ever built, I still prefer a Ford even from the same era... good, solid, reliable and relatively cheap.
Not sure which is the finest fiberglass trailer... Maybe Oliver? BigFoot? Nest? some even think it is Escape!
My Ford and my Scamp serve me well with a proven track record, I guess that's what counts.
Floyd, my dad always went all starry-eyed when he talked about Packards. Maybe a fine car but it ended up like the dodo..... extinct. I really don’t think that there is a finest fiberglass trailer. And I would NOT contest a single word in your last sentence because you include the very important qualifier “serve Me well” but you should perhaps add “for me” after “proven track record.” I say that because I doubt there is a person alive who can honestly claim every item they have ever purchased/owned has served them well. And not everyone has had a proven track record with Ford or Scamp. Except for the recent EMP incident that was obviously beyond Ford’s control, I have not owned a Ford product that was a dud. But I’ve owned three Chrysler products and every one was a dud, which is why I will never own another. Yet there are many people who swear by Rams. Poor track record in my case, and good track record in theirs. I only wish that I could have had as good an experience with my Scamp as you have had with yours, but I didn’t. It would have saved me a ton of money and oodles of stress and frustration. But no matter what the product, there will always be some loyal consumers and some disgruntled customers as a result of their individual experiences. So if there is a finest FG trailer and a finest tow vehicle, I would say there are as as many “finest” as there are happy owners. I honestly like your Scamp 13 and the modifications you have made to it. While is a bit compact for my tastes, my tastes do not matter as you are the one who has to be pleased. For the record, I don’t get the adoration of the Duesenberg either!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:56 PM   #63

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Floyd, my dad always went all starry-eyed when he talked about Packards. Maybe a fine car but it ended up like the dodo..... extinct. I really don’t think that there is a finest fiberglass trailer. And I would NOT contest a single word in your last sentence because you include the very important qualifier “serve me well” but perhaps you should add “for me” after “proven track record.” I say that because I doubt there is a person alive who can honestly claim every item they have ever purchased/owned has served them well. And not everyone has had a proven track record with Ford or Scamp. Except for the recent EMP incident that was obviously beyond Ford’s control, I have not owned a Ford product that was a dud. But I’ve owned three Chrysler products and every one was a dud, which is why I will never own another. Yet there are many people who swear by Rams. Poor track record in my case, and good track record in theirs. I only wish that I could have had as good an experience with my Scamp as you have had with yours, but I didn’t. It would have saved me a ton of money and oodles of stress and frustration. But no matter what the product, there will always be some loyal consumers and some disgruntled customers as a result of their individual experiences. So if there is a finest FG trailer and a finest tow vehicle, I would say there are as as many “finest” as there are happy owners. I honestly like your Scamp 13 and the modifications you have made to it. While is a bit compact for my tastes, my tastes do not matter as you are the one who has to be pleased. For the record, I don’t get the adoration of the Duesenberg either!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #64

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't understand this paragraph. It seems to contradict itself.
Opps! Should say Scamp and Escape.

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #65

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Sometimes you have to consider the source. One person here is leaving out the fact he purchased the camper used. Of course he believed the seller that it had only been used a couple of times. Ya, ya, ya, I know how sales work. He PM'd me the problems and most were either vendor problems or problems that the previous owner created. There were so many things wrong he obviously didn't do his due diligence, but he continues to complain to this day; it all was the manufacturers fault. It gets old to listen to his diatribe. His glass is always half-empty.

We've owned a 2001 Scamp, 2007 Casita, 2003 Bigfoot, and a 2018 Escape, in that order. We've loved them all, and despite them all needing repairs, I'd purchase each one again. My glass is half-full. Actually, nearly full!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #66

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Floyd, my dad always went all starry-eyed when he talked about Packards. Maybe a fine car but it ended up like the dodo..... extinct. I really don’t think that there is a finest fiberglass trailer. And I would NOT contest a single word in your last sentence because you include the very important qualifier “serve me well” but perhaps you should add “for me” after “proven track record.” I say that because I doubt there is a person alive who can honestly claim every item they have ever purchased/owned has served them well. And not everyone has had a proven track record with Ford or Scamp. Except for the recent EMP incident that was obviously beyond Ford’s control, I have not owned a Ford product that was a dud. But I’ve owned three Chrysler products and every one was a dud, which is why I will never own another. Yet there are many people who swear by Rams. Poor track record in my case, and good track record in theirs. I only wish that I could have had as good an experience with my Scamp as you have had with yours, but I didn’t. It would have saved me a ton of money and oodles of stress and frustration. But no matter what the product, there will always be some loyal consumers and some disgruntled customers as a result of their individual experiences. So if there is a finest FG trailer and a finest tow vehicle, I would say there are as as many “finest” as there are happy owners. I honestly like your Scamp 13 and the modifications you have made to it. While is a bit compact for my tastes, my tastes do not matter as you are the one who has to be pleased. For the record, I don’t get the adoration of the Duesenberg either!
You can say that again... No wait you already did!!
Oh! and the Duesenberg was so esteemed in its day that the phrase "Its a Duesy" was coined from it to bestow the highest compliment.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #67

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We are the second owner of our Escape , the original owner picked up the trailer from Escape in late February of 2018 and hauled it home. In May the original owner put the trailer up for sale due to health issues and we purchased it in June
Escape extended the full 2 year warranty to us as second owners because the trailer was in essence brand new
The sewer pipe from the black tank to the drain valve was improperly installed and leaked black water all over the floor . Escape was aware of the problem with the black tank ,and had a repair parts kit already in stock which they sent me
How that possibly is the previous owners fault or my lack of due diligence escapes me !!
Beyond that I have no intentions of starting a discussion with an uninformed party and I stand by my statements about the build quality of an Escape

Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #68

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are the second owner of our Escape , the original owner picked up the trailer from Escape in late February of 2018 and hauled it home. In May the original owner put the trailer up for sale due to health issues and we purchased it in June
Escape extended the full 2 year warranty to us as second owners because the trailer was in essence brand new
The sewer pipe from the black tank to the drain valve was improperly installed and leaked black water all over the floor . Escape was aware of the problem with the black tank ,and had a repair parts kit already in stock which they sent me
How that possibly is the previous owners fault or my lack of due diligence escapes me !!
Beyond that I have no intentions of starting a discussion with an uninformed party and I stand by my statements about the build quality of an Escape

Steve D

As they say your mileage may vary. I don't know if there's such thing as the perfect trailer. We feel our escape is pretty close for us. We have had zero defects with our Escape and, I believe, that is the experience of hundreds of Escape owners (I'm basing that on the Escape Owners forum, Facebook page and the many owners we know or have met at get togethers). We had a Casita, also a nice trailer. We enjoy having a little more breathing room in the 21. Our son has a well loved Scamp - had to replace part of the floor that rotted - if you are trying to decide, don't forget Scamp does not have fiberglass on the bottom. But they love it! We have traveled thousands of miles all around the US in the Escape and have been very happy with it. Have fun looking. Get one and get out there and make some memories! If you're out having fun then you have the right trailer! It's all part of the adventure.

Happy trails, and as always, safe travels!
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #69

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
To me, all the brands are pretty decent.I can't knock one over another. The one thing I can say is the jalousie windows in my Trillium are great but not available in any of the new stuff.

The critical piece for us was floorplan. Fortunately, we have more than adequate tow capacity with our V8 F150 so we can pull most of the models out there. The E19 floor plan fit us well so thats what we have along with the Trillium 1300.

In the end, get what you like.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #70
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
To me, all the brands are pretty decent.I can't knock one over another. The one thing I can say is the jalousie windows in my Trillium are great but not available in any of the new stuff.
Happier Camper was using the same Hehr 8700 jalousie windows Scamp was. I'm not sure if they still are. Considering the complaints from folks with sliders, you would think others would.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #71

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Complaints about sliders? I think not. But have read of many problems with the frameless windows. Like delamination, disconnection, opening when driving. Give me a (bomb-proof) slider any day.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #72

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds13 View Post
If I ever get another fiberglass trailer, it will be for a bigger bed. But every year I hang onto the Scamp, I’m saving money.
Sums up my thoughts. I have spent a lot of time and money moving my Scamp 16 in a direction of more usefulness for my style of camping. And more to go yet, but I do have 3 footitis and want an Escape 19 “for when I retire”.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #73

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds13 View Post
If I ever get another fiberglass trailer, it will be for a bigger bed. But every year I hang onto the Scamp, I’m saving money.
Here's a "king" bed in my 13Scamp...
Attached Thumbnails
kingbed 3.JPG   kingbed4.JPG  

Old 09-14-2020, 11:57 PM   #74

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
We had a Casita 16.... the bed was too small for the two of us, one of us had to crawl over the other to make midnight potty runs, and it was generally me. the dinette-bed conversion was too small for me (I'm 6' tall and 220 lbs). the grey water tank would fill up if my wife took one shower (I could take several sponge baths). the Casita 16 has a tiny fridge that's almost worthless. other than that it was great

so after a couple years, we upgraded to an Escape 21, which has an almost queen size longitudinal bed with a real mattress, has much bigger tanks, dual golf cart batteries and 160 watts solar, a GAS OVEN, a HUGE fridge/freezer and a very comfortable U shaped dinette, which I upgraded with a Springfield pedestal and dicor 2-way slider. I can stand up in the Escape without slouching. The Escape has way more storage, too.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, scamp