Perris Pacer Axle alignment - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

Name: Frederick
Trailer: 1974 Perris Valley Pacer
California
Need advice - Perris Pacer Axle alignment

Hi Everyone
I hope you are doing well.

I am planning to lift the egg off of the frame to check thoroughly for possible damage. Now I see that the wheels are not centered in the wheel well. Is this by design or a mistake during a previous axle repair? I'm probably the third or fourth owner so I'm not sure if and when the axle was moved. Shouldn't the wheel be centered in the well?
Thanks
Fred
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1425145731.963644.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	80806

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Fredomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Name: Steph
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13'
California
Registry
Hi Fredomatic,
We have an "81" Perris Pacer, your wheel placement appears to be the same as ours.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0972.JPG  
ratty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Does it look the same on both sides? If you are goint to do all that work now would be the time to install a new - Bolt on axel. Something to think about.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #4

California
Darwin
The axle looks straight as the wheels are in the same location on both sides. If I don't end up moving the axle, does the bolt on assembly allow me to lower the axle so the wheels don't ride as high in the wheel wells? Given the amount of times the trailer scrapes or bottoms out, i think it would help.

Ratty
Maybe it's me but from the photos, I think my axle is a tad further forward than yours. Do the swing arms on yours swing towards the front or back? Mine are towards the front.

Thanks
Fred
Old 03-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

Name: Steph
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13'
California
Registry
Fred, swing arms toward the front.
ratty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Once you Raise the frame by inserting a spacer between the frame and the axle, that will give you more room for the wheel to flex up. Once you convert from a welded to a bolt on axle, that gives you or future owners the ability to change out new axle on your own in just a couple of hours. If you decide to do a new axle, think about brakes B 4 you order one. You can get an axle with all the stuff already on it. Good Luck.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #7

California
Thanks Darwin and Ratty. The bolt on axle is definitely a consideration. Now to research the best way to remove the egg from the frame without cracking it.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #8

Name: K
Trailer: '88 Perris Pacer - 13 Footer
West
Hey Fred. Thanks for the help in my last thread regarding the 82 Pacer I'm in the processing of buying. Looks like it's going to be our soon, which is very exciting.

I'm fairly certain this thing is going to need a new axle. I figure it's worth it to pull the body off to inspect the frame and make the axle work simpler.

I'm wondering how you went about removing the body from the frame. Specifically:

1. You said there were four bolts in back, and four in front. Were all of these easily accessible? Just free the nut from the bottom of the bolt, I assume?

2. Are there any other bolts or other attachments points to remove before lifting?

3. How did you go about lifting the shell? Is it light enough that a couple of strong bodies to get enough lift to slip cross supports underneath it, then pull the frame straight out from underneath?

Thanks!
82_Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82_Pacer View Post
Hey Fred. Thanks for the help in my last thread regarding the 82 Pacer I'm in the processing of buying. Looks like it's going to be our soon, which is very exciting.

I'm fairly certain this thing is going to need a new axle. I figure it's worth it to pull the body off to inspect the frame and make the axle work simpler.

I'm wondering how you went about removing the body from the frame. Specifically:

1. You said there were four bolts in back, and four in front. Were all of these easily accessible? Just free the nut from the bottom of the bolt, I assume?

2. Are there any other bolts or other attachments points to remove before lifting?

3. How did you go about lifting the shell? Is it light enough that a couple of strong bodies to get enough lift to slip cross supports underneath it, then pull the frame straight out from underneath?

Thanks!

Lots of details! Feel free to ring me. I left you a PM with my contact info.
Cheers
Fred

Tags
axle, perris pacer