Rivets on the Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Rivets on the Boler

I'm considering buying a 1975 Boler. It needs a lot of cosmetic repairs, the furnace doesn't work, and the current owner has never used the water tank so is unsure of it.

She said that there was a leak at one time and she took it to an RV repair shop and they said that the leak was from one of the rivets. They then proceeded to apply caulking of some type to all of the rivets on the body, creating a very ugly exterior. The owner was not pleased, but did say that there has not been any more leaking. Does this seem to be a normal way to do repairs for a leak?
Gale Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
The answer is a definite no and if you just do a search on rivets or leaks you will find tons of responses and how to for just this issue. I think Donna keeps an on going record of every issue thread and will probably jump in soon with links for your problem. There are lots of Boler owners and solutions on this forum.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #3

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Ugh..def not the way to do it. I have a 73 Boler and had a couple leaks. I replaced just those rivets with leak proof rivets. They were designed and built without the silicone so no need for that.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I did a search for rivet leaks, but didn't get one of those threads you mention. Maybe my key words were key enough! I'll try again. I need to figure out if the damage done by the caulking can be repaired before I make an offer on the Boler.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #5

Thanks, Joe. I'll price out the leak proof rivets for replacing. That will help me determine my offer.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
There are two types. One comes with a built in cap, another leaves the shaft inside and plugs the hole. You could buy all you need of either type for about $50. The silicone won't harm the trailer, it is just a pain of removing it..lots of elbow grease.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #7

thanks, good to know that it's not a significant expense.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
An 84 Boler here. No rivets through the shell. Seats, cupboards and kitchen unit attached with wide fibreglass tape. That means a stronger trailer and no leaks.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #9

Name: Gus
Trailer: 1977 Boler - 1300
Winnipeg
Can you use the fiberglass tape instead of the rivets? Mine is full of them and I would like to eliminate them all.
Gus L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler