two more Amerigo window ??'s - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Name: don j
Trailer: amerigo & apache
Wisconsin
Registry
two more Amerigo window ??'s

Does anyone know the size or have a source for window spline to put the screens in? All the hardware stores have ones that are too small. Also how do you put the screen in to work around the window pushouts? It looks like when I put the screen in the the window pushouts have to go through the screen.
donjdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
You'll have to punch holes thru your newly installed screen for the window push outs. I would guess a sharp pocket knife with one slice in the middle of the opening would do it.

As far as the spline the big box stores will have a supply limited to what the most popular size is, I'd check with a local glass installer. You may also check with Vintage Trailer Supply. Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #3

North Carolina
I measured mine & it's approx .260 dia. Here's a link to some however it comes in a 500' roll. 5C260 - CRL Gray .260 Screen Retainer Spline - 500 Foot Roll

If you find it in smaller quantities let us know where you found it, I'll be replacing my screens soon also.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Registry
spline

Thanks
McMaster-Carr has them in 25 foot lengths but measurements need conversion.
McMaster-Carr

everywhere I look I am finding .250 but not .260
Old 05-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #5

Wisconsin
Registry
I found

I found .270 foam spline here: SWISCO.com ~ The Replacement Hardware Authority It comes in 25' packages. I ordered it and will let you all know how it works.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
Update:

The .270 spline from SWISCO.com ~ The Replacement Hardware Authority
worked perfectly -did my screens today! (comes in 25' lengths)
Old 05-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #7

North Carolina
Thanks, good to know of a source for something that works. Did you use a fiberglass screen mesh or aluminum? It seems like the aluminum would be harder to work with but may be more "snag" resistant.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:28 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Thanks, good to know of a source for something that works. Did you use a fiberglass screen mesh or aluminum? It seems like the aluminum would be harder to work with but may be more "snag" resistant.
I used fiberglass screen mesh because it is easier to cut considering having to cut slots for pushouts. The hardest part was getting it to lay smooth, it took two of us, one to pull the screen tight while the other put the screen and spline in the groove. It trimmed off real easily.

Tags
amerigo