Escape verses Oliver - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
With a "full hookup" space, you can run a waste hose to a connection provided by the trailer park or campground. The sewage connection will then be continuous throughout your stay.

I would be careful with this quote. Yes, the sewage connection will be continuous throughout your stay, BUT you should leave the valves closed and only dump them, black first, when they are close to full. The dump valves should not be left open throughout your stay unless you want big problems down the road.
Agreed!

This might be a good example of why it can be good to read a book rather than a forum when you are looking for the basics.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I looked at a 21 foot escape and 23 foot Oliver, both fairly new, at the recent FiberglassRV rally in King City, CA. I really liked the Escape 21 layout and interior. the GVWR is well within safe range of my Tacoma 4x4.

inside of the Oliver: https://goo.gl/photos/SQQX6RZo6EGeW3918
(a bit over decorated for my tastes, but hey, to each there own, these folks were living full time in it, got it 3 months ago)

inside of the Escape 21: https://goo.gl/photos/zFkx16vqDb3H6TCKA
(thats a 360 degree VR picture, drag it around to see all sides).
Old 05-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #43

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Dwain & All,

I have enjoyed reading this thread. IMO, the cool thing about egg campers is "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with"!!! We are currently at the beginning of our 2nd season of camping with our '05 Casita 17' FD. LOVE it! However, we really enjoy egg rallies and I enjoy perpetual research regarding RVing and the lifestyle, particularly egg campers. We live 2.5 hours from the Oliver plant. We attended the fall Oliver rally and toured the plant. Laura and I really like the Olivers. On the other hand, I really like almost everything with the Escape 21' floor plan. For that matter, the Bigfoots are sweet as well. We originally thought were were going to get a used Scamp 13' then a used Scamp 16' then we bought the new to us Casita. We were dependent on what the used market had to offer in our region. We would not sell our Casita for what we paid for it. Hey, I have 8, possibly 6, years of work before retirement and then possibly a new a trailer. An Oliver Elite II? An Escape 21'? A Bigfoot 21' or 25' Will there be a Casita 20'? How about a Parkliner 20'? Something else? Heck, we may just keep our '05 Casita! Price, floor plan, and/or intended function will all determine keeping our Casita or succumbing to "two-foot-itis" and getting something else.

Take care,

Dean
Old 05-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #44

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Nice pics, thanks.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #45

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It would be ok to leave the gray valve open while hooked to sewer and taking a long shower. Never leave the black tank valve open during use, or you could develop a 'poo pyramid' that hardens in the tank and is difficult to remove. Gotta have those liquids in with the solids....

Hookup is a matter of getting out the flexible 'slinky' hose and attaching it to both the trailer tank outlet and the sewer inlet. Then open the valve. Whoosh.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
X2 Rats too
https://youtu.be/JAVLIT_1b4E
Old 05-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #47

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Snoozy

I think the Lil Snoozy quality is one of the best 18 ft. fg trailer on the market .For the 2013 that we had .It was full fiberglass no wood floor to rot out .when cleaning the roof one could stand on it .The wood was 3/8 in. not particle board .If Snoozy would have made a bigger trailer 19-21 we would have looked at it for sure .

We ended up with the 21 Escape and it fits us perfectly we needed more room for Grandkids.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #48

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Jim,

I have read and reviewed the Lil' Snoozy website and other forums that have discussed it. I have seen one or two from the outside, but did not get to see the inside. Love the shape. Cool floorplan.

Also, some folks have done some nifty mods to them as well.

So nice to have options in the egg camper world. I think there will be more in the next few/several years, particularly in that 20' range.

Take care,

Dean
Old 05-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #49

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
It appears to me that it gets down to what one can afford. I would like to know what you as an Escape owner thinks, if paying the extra price for an Oliver, would be worth it and if there are any other reasons besides cost for choosing the Escape. I am thinking of a unit between 17-21 at the most.
Dwain, I'm a little late to the party, but your question is an interesting one. As a relatively new Escape owner (we took possession of our Escape 19 last December), but long time RVer, I would say that it's not just about what one can afford. In my opinion, it's really not about that at all. Yes, of course, we all have to weigh what we want against what we can afford, but I think there are many reasons besides cost for choosing between an Oliver and an Escape - or any other trailer for that matter.

I believe the main considerations, once you've determined what you can afford, are things like:

what features do you want or need?
what sort of style/look do you want?
how many people do you need to accommodate?
what kind of tow vehicle do you have?
what kind of camping are you going to do?

You're the only one who can answer these questions and they have very little, if anything, to do with price.

Some people are minimalists and love camping in very small, simple rigs. Others want all the bells and whistles. Some people like sleek and modern, others like cute and cozy. Some want to boondock off the grid miles away from civilization, others will only stay in fancy RV resorts with full hook-ups and all the amenities. First, figure out just how, when, where and with whom you'll be camping and then go look for the trailer that will meet your needs.

We did consider an Oliver, but rejected it for several reasons. Cost was definitely one factor, but more importantly, the look and layout weren't what we wanted. Additionally the weight of the Oliver was a little heavy for our TV and we really didn't want to buy a new truck or SUV. The Escape 19 had a layout we liked, was within our budget, and had a weight that was compatible with our TV. Additionally, we really liked the fact that we could do a fair amount of customization with Escape. We opted to have a standard dinette in front and a U-shaped convertible dinette in the rear that converts to a queen size bed. This gives us a nice "lounge" area.

Have fun looking for your trailer. I hope you find the prefect one for you!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:31 AM   #50

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Kathy, I do believe you've answered the question perfectly. Gold stars for you
Old 05-19-2017, 04:24 AM   #51

Trailer: Winnebago sold, waiting on Escape 19
Virginia
Good thread here folks.

I set out looking for something with a permanent queen sized bed, dual axles and easily towable without pushing the tow rating on my 4Runner which is 7000#.
Considered Escape, Bigfoot and Oliver. Oliver seemed like the best built and with the aluminum frame, that was a plus. But, no permanent bed and I felt I'd be pushed to upgrade my tow, which I was adamant about not doing. Also wasn't too hot on the boat-like interior. That left the Bigfoot and Escape to focus on. After a lot of research it came down to the Escape 19, which I have on order now. If I find that I really love the fiberglass trailers and if I wanted to hit the road for longer outings or semi-full timing, I could see interest in the 25' Bigfoot, since I also like that layout. Granted, it would push an upgrade in vehicle. Then again, if I upgraded to a truck, that would open up the possibilities of a 5.0TA Escape.

Decisions, Decisions. Enjoy what you have though. All of the molded fiberglass trailers out there seem to be a welcome change from the stickies.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #52

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... "Love the one your with"... do do do do do do tadoo.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040545.jpg  
Old 05-20-2017, 06:13 AM   #53

Name: Bruce
Trailer: in the market
Texas
I am interested in seeing an Escape 5.0TA. Does anyone live in the Houston, TX area?
Old 05-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #54

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
If you don't get a response, you could call Escape and ask the question, or post it over on the Escape Forum.
Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 05-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #55

Name: Reed & Karen
Trailer: Oliver
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments. Couple of more question from someone who knows nothing:
1. With the smaller unites of the Oliver or Escape, typically how often does the waste need to be dumped. Is it as easy as hooking up a hose from the unit to the waste disposal and flipping a switch? Is there a cost involved if you are already paying a fee to stay at RV Park?
2. How long can a typical shower last. If you DON'T have a hot water tank, but the machine that heats the water instantly, last longer? Do these work well? Can you keep a hose hooked up to the unit so you are not taking fom the water tank of unit?

As you see, total novice.

Thanks so much for info!
Dwain
The Oliver's dump system is different then the others in that it is designed to be left hooked up inside the rear bumper. So you pull out the hose, uncap the elbo at the end, then put it into the dump station and open the valve. The Oliver also has a black tank rinse, so it can be totally cleaned out easily when on full hook ups. Instead of adding any deodorizer, we just wash out the black tank every couple days when on hook ups. Unlike the Casita, you don't want to open the gray tank valve with the black tank still dripping because it's down stream on the clean out line and the black waste would run into the gray if done like on our old Casita. The picture inside of the Oliver that John posted is ours, and Karen is showing it to one of the groups that toured it. As far as dumping the waste, it really is like just flipping a switch once the hoses are hooked up. You just open the Water valve to let the sprayer start cleaning out the black tank while letting it fill up some, then open the drain valve and let it wash until clean water comes out. It does a great job of cleaning the black tank completely. Just remember to always turn off the water into the sprayer and close the valves when you're done.

As far as the shower goes with the tank less on demand water heater, if we are both going to shower, I either empty the 35 gallon gray tank or just go pull the valve on the tank and let it drain continuously when taking the "Endless Shower" because the only restriction on time, is how long do you want to stay in? If she wants to shave her legs or stay in for half an hour... with the tankless water heater, you just let the water run like at home. The Truma AquaGo on demand water heater is by far the best upgrade, that I've ever bought. Usually on full hook ups our long showers use around 10 gallons of hot water or more each. The Endless shower is just great
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170521_094242.jpg   Screenshot_2017-04-21-12-50-43.jpg  

received_10155038022165269.jpg  
Old 05-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #56

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Thanks Reed. Great post.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #57

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We looked at Oliver and were impressed with the build quality, and the fact they are very well engineered .
( It appears a lot of forethought went into the design )
It seems many FG trailer manufacturers build trailers using the trial and error / seat of your pants method and then shove the quality control on the backs of their customers .
For us the main thing that held us back from buying an Oliver or a Bigfoot was “COST “ .We could not see spending that kind of money on something we would use maybe 30 days a year plus at our age it just wasn’t a wise investment .
Old 09-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #58

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Pro Escape: More floor plans, more choices, more sizes. Much lower price.

Pro Oliver: top notch build, true four season, renowned service.

Negatives Escape: Predominantly wood interior.

Negatives Oliver: Its basically a super nice Casita layout wise. If you like the Casita floor plan, great. If not, there you go. Very limited windows.

In the end, it is up to the buyer to decide what works out best for them. One should not expect a $30K trailer to rival the fit/finish/quality of a $60K trailer.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #59

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
One should not expect a $30K trailer to rival the fit/finish/quality of a $60K trailer.

Shouldn't come as close to the fit/finish/quality as it does either, but it does.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #60

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
In the end, it is up to the buyer to decide what works out best for them. One should not expect a $30K trailer to rival the fit/finish/quality of a $60K trailer.
I didn’t expect the fit / finish quality to be the same or even close , and my expectations were correct.
Closed Thread

Tags
escape, oliver