Burro Wide Body Axel Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #1

Name: River
Trailer: Perris Pacer
Oregon
Registry
Burro Wide Body Axel Help

I am trying to find a replacement axel for my '89 17' Wide Body Burro and my local guy is having a hard time finding anything. I've searched on the site here, but can't seem to come up with a specific axel name size etc. Is there anyone out there that can help me?
Thanks!
Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #2

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Flexiride Axle-Southwest Wheel

I just replaced my axle in my 13' Burro 3 weeks ago. I replaced my old axle with a Flexiride axle from Southwest Wheel. I worked with Tracy Roberts <troberts@southwestwheel.com>. She helped me get all the measurements I would need and walked me through the whole process. When I replaced my axle I also added a 2-5/8" lift to my Burro.

Southwest Wheel took about 2 days to build my axle to my specifications and then FedEx'd it to me. From order to my doorstep took about a week.

It took about a day to install the axle since we had to weld the lift bracket in place before installing the axle.
AnnieSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrito View Post
I am trying to find a replacement axel for my '89 17' Wide Body Burro and my local guy is having a hard time finding anything. I've searched on the site here, but can't seem to come up with a specific axel name size etc. Is there anyone out there that can help me?
Thanks!
An "AXEL" is a type of jump performed by figure skaters.
You have an AXLE.

Go to any trailer shop.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

Oregon
Registry
Thanks Wayne, I was channeling my inner figure skater when I posted, then tried to edit the post, but can't find where to do it.

Unfortunately, my experience with the local 'trailer shops' has NOT been helpful...thus the request for help here.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #5

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieSnyder View Post
I just replaced my axle in my 13' Burro 3 weeks ago. I replaced my old axle with a Flexiride axle from Southwest Wheel. I worked with Tracy Roberts <troberts@southwestwheel.com>. She helped me get all the measurements I would need and walked me through the whole process. When I replaced my axle I also added a 2-5/8" lift to my Burro.

Southwest Wheel took about 2 days to build my axle to my specifications and then FedEx'd it to me. From order to my doorstep took about a week.

It took about a day to install the axle since we had to weld the lift bracket in place before installing the axle.

Thanks Annie, I've contacted Tracy, she is extremely helpful!!
Old 04-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Thanks Wayne, I was channeling my inner figure skater when I posted, then tried to edit the post, but can't find where to do it.

Unfortunately, my experience with the local 'trailer shops' has NOT been helpful...thus the request for help here.

You should see "edit" below your post. You have a certain amount of time to do this ( an hour? 24? )
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 10.30.54 AM.png  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There are 2 very large Dexter Axle distributors in Oregon. Potter Webster and Six Robblees in Portland. I believe Potter Webster owns a repair facility near their warehouse. Six Robblees has other warehouses and both of these businesses could probably refer you to a good welding shop.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Always good to edit your words before hitting the SUBMIT button, but even after your post goes up, there is an EDIT button you can hit if you don't wait too long.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #9

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Leaf Spring

Cheaper and easier to replace with a leaf spring axel. That is what I did. I like it. Mine tows just fine. This also allows more options for custom height adjustment. Cheaper and easier to fix if you ever have any problems on the road. See my Baja Burrito Resto Mod thread. Good luck.
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Here are a couple of threads for you:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...xle-55342.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...html#post36722
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro