Oliver vs Escape Price Difference - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #21

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Arizona
Raspy has laid out many of the reasons that I would have given as to why we chose the Oliver over all other fiberglas trailers after an extensive review of those available. We have absolutely no regrets about our decision. I can just add that, despite its narrow width (that is also a huge advantage when towing), we have never felt claustrophobic in the trailer, even when having to navigate around our 130-Lb Great Pyrenees. One thing about the narrow width is that one can move from on end to the other with the help of one's hands, as I imagine folks do on a boat.

I agree with others, however, that one's "overall feel" may be the best indicator of how happy you would be with your decision. The more I learned about the Oliver, the more I got that great "overall feel." I don't know how many folks who chose the Escape wish they had an Oliver, but I sure am not sorry about our choice, and I have not yet read of one Oliver owner wishing that they had an Escape.
Jeff Sky Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #22

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Oliver or Escape

You can shop now, but since you are 3.5 years from purchase, you might want to revisit your decision. Oliver manufactured campers for a short time once before, then stopped for several years before re-entering the market. Escapes are built in British Columbia—Being built in Canada makes me think they could stand cold weather. It’s your money and your preference, but Escapes have been around awhile and have stood the test of time. For $50,000 difference, you could retire earlier or travel more. Maybe Olivers are better, but would you enjoy it twice as much?
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
The economy is better than it's been in the last 40+ years with the spending being driven by the dreaded "Millennial Generation". Look at what they are into. Technology, better design, small homes, living downtown, smaller cars, smaller yards and on and on. That's a HUGE change from "Fat, 60 and Up Crowd" that we call the "Boomer's" who like everything BIG. It's been said the Boomers have all the money however that may not necessarily be true anymore if you are a RV manufacturer as you now know the REAL market to whom you wish to SELL in today's world are the Millennial's!

The market trend in the RV industry has been and will continue towards smaller lightweight trailers with better design and technology added. All one has to do is look at the RVIA RV shipment reports to understand that trend from the last 5+ years with the largest sales drop for any RV segment are LARGE Motorhome's and LARGE 5th Wheel travel trailers which is has been and will continue to be the to segment dedicated to the dying off Boomer's. The "Fat, 60 and up Crowd" is no longer the leading market segment in most any category of products and that is certainly true in the RV industry. The current economic data for everything now shows the Millennial's are a larger market segment for retailers than the Boomer's in numbers and more importantly DOLLAR SPENDING ABILITY!

How's that figure into Oliver versus Escape versus Casita discussion. Oliver and Casita are all smaller trailers in size with Escape still making some larger trailers along with the smaller offerings. Certainly on this forum those that like the WIDE Escape trailer's are Boomer's. With the RV Industry now catering to the Millennial's you will continue to see most everything RV getting smaller with lighter materials and better design. Just look at some of the new recent entries into the fiberglass trailer market that we talk about on this old dinosaur Forum. No Facebook for us old folks! You also must realize that YES there are far more Millennial's than you might think that have the money needed to buy an expensive and nice Oliver trailer!

Tow Vehicles are also a HUGE "Driving" factor in the this move to smaller, lighter and better designed trailers. Most Millennial's don't drive PU trucks and therefore do not have the capability to haul larger trailers and they do want that capability. With smaller vehicles come smaller tow vehicle trailer ratings. Lot's of vehicles today that Millennial's drive today have 2000 LB or LESS trailer tow vehicle ratings. The RV industry knows this and they are catering to this segment of buyer's like never before in a HUGE way.

Look at Airstream. As stodgy and arrogant a company as they are even they have realized they need to get "Hip" with there 2 new small trailer offerings introduced into the market in the last several years. The amount of people willing to shell out $50K-$150K for a trailer is dwindling!

Smaller size, lighter weight, more technology and better design will continue more and more to dominate most industries and as they move forward to SELL to the current targeted generation of buyer's and that targeted generation of buyer's AIN'T THE BOOMER'S!!!!
I'm not sure I'd consider the Oliver smaller than an Escape - The Escape 21 has a gross weight of 5000 pounds, the Oliver Elite II 7000. While the Escape is 4" wider, The Elite is listed as a 23' - 6" trailer, 2' longer than the Escape.

Their single axle Elite trailer is 2" narrower than the equivalent Escape 17, 9" longer, and a 1000 pounds heavier gross weight.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #24

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sky Islander View Post
I have not yet read of one Oliver owner wishing that they had an Escape.

Here’s one: Oliver vs Escape Price Difference
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t
Old 05-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
The economy is better than it's been in the last 40+ years with the spending being driven by the dreaded "Millennial Generation". Look at what they are into. Technology, better design, small homes, living downtown, smaller cars, smaller yards and on and on. That's a HUGE change from "Fat, 60 and Up Crowd" that we call the "Boomer's" who like everything BIG. It's been said the Boomers have all the money however that may not necessarily be true anymore if you are a RV manufacturer as you now know the REAL market to whom you wish to SELL in today's world are the Millennial's!

The market trend in the RV industry has been and will continue towards smaller lightweight trailers with better design and technology added.
Agree with the trend overall. Its kind of odd Casita dropped their 13 footer, and Escape dropped both the 13 and 15 footers. I guess the sales weren't there, or they would still be making them.

Certainly while many traditional RV companies are coming out with smaller models, the FG market is going the opposite direction. There is plenty of demand for the small older vintage FG trailers, like Bolers and Trilliums.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:47 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Escape dropped both the 13 and 15 footers. I guess the sales weren't there, or they would still be making them.

It's more that the profit wasn't there. It cost pretty much the same to build a 15 as it cost to build a 17, but you can't sell a 15 for pretty much the same price as a 17.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:10 AM   #27

Name: Al
Louisiana
If you have 3 yrs, why not purchase an older Casita or Airstream and remodel it the way you like? Change the floor plan to your needs?
Altemplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Oliver vs Escape Price Difference

The OP is new to RVing. Until you know what your needs really are, there’s no point is putting a ton of time and money into remodeling. (Or into a brand-new, high-end trailer, for that matter.)

In my view, the best plan is to buy a used ready-to-camp trailer and use it for a season or two. Do it now- don’t wait for retirement. Take shorter trips near home. Try out different kinds of campgrounds. Experience towing and backing and hitching up. Find out what works and doesn’t work for you. Learn how to do basic care and maintenance.

A used Casita 17 deluxe is an ideal starter: fairly common in the Southeast, under $20K, small and narrow enough for easier towing but complete and self-contained, good resale, fairly simple to operate, a great learner unit. Some people find it's all they really need. If not, you will get most of your money back to put toward your “forever” trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #29

Name: Babs
Tennessee
Future purchases

As we move forward, in making these decisions we should look at The proposals for restrictions on vehicles that may be forthcoming. All electric vehicles will virtually destroy the towable RV industry. Controls on emissions may limit engine size-and tow capacity- of vehicles, and a larger or heavier trailer may spend more time in your driveway than the campground.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
You're in FL, Oliver is in TN and, Oliver is LEGENDARY for GREAT customer service (as well as a VERY well made trailer). Escape makes a good trailer but, where will you get service that you'll eventually need for a Canadian product where the factory is more than 1,000 miles from you? I haven't owned either but, I did start with a new, 17' 2010 Casta Spirit Deluxe Travel trailer. It was my first RV and, a GREAT way to "test the waters" before spending big bucks. I used my "egg" for four years putting on 50,000 miles before I "graduated" to my current Super C (2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB ). With an Oliver, because to its' GVWR, you will need a decent tow vehicle (I don't remember the GVWR on Escape models). DON'T skimp on the tow vehicle! Allow a GOOD safety margin; it will pay off over time. As already mentioned, you might want to consider a used Casita or Scamp to get you started. You really can't know exactly what you'll need until you've got some years under your belt. Both Casita and Scamp trailers hold their value better than more "traditional" trailers so, when you're ready to "move up", you're likely to recover more of your initial costs (RVs are NOT "investments"; they're liabilities that will depreciate. "Egg" trailers have a history of depreciating slower that "traditional" RVs). If you have not yet attended an RV Boot Camp, DO SO! In 2.5 days, you'll get a great introduction to RVing and how to stay safe. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Escape makes a good trailer but, where will you get service that you'll eventually need for a Canadian product where the factory is more than 1,000 miles from you?

Appliances are covered by the manufacturers warranty and Dometic, Suburban, Attwood have thousands of authorized service centres throughout North America. When my furnace quit under warranty I took the trailer to a service centre a mile away instead of Escape, which was an hour and a half drive.
As for work on the trailer itself, you contact Escape and they will approve work done by a local to you shop.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #32

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
We have a Casita at the present time and will sell it in the next month or so as we have an Oliver on order for July 8 pickup date. I want to say we love our Casita and are only going with the Oliver because we just want more room inside and I think it is the finest trailer built and top resale in it's class. We really considered the Escape, both the 5.0 and the 21 footer, but just didn't like the sleeping accommodations in either model, we wanted twin beds and designed like our Casita Independence and Oliver offered twins with the same basic floorplan. We also didn't care for the Escape's interior, cabinets, smaller bath, etc. and the rich look of fiberglass was much to our liking. If price is not a factor then you have to go what works for you, just don't purchase one then wish you have gotten the other.

trainman

I’m probably not suppose to ask this here but I’ll take my chances of getting scolded because I don’t know where /how else to ask..... when will you be selling your Casita, I’m looking for one,
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #33

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnupnorthbrrr View Post
I’m probably not suppose to ask this here but I’ll take my chances of getting scolded because I don’t know where /how else to ask..... when will you be selling your Casita, I’m looking for one,
I just listed it in the Classified section of this website, it's located in Ft. Worth, Texas

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #34

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I just listed it in the Classified section of this website, it's located in Ft. Worth, Texas

trainman

Thank you, I just looked at it, very nice !! I’m dreaming and trying to justify a purchase [emoji848]
Im not getting younger and have dreamed of having a Scamp for 30 years [emoji849]
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:13 AM   #35

Name: Rory
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
If you have not yet attended an RV Boot Camp, DO SO! In 2.5 days, you'll get a great introduction to RVing and how to stay safe. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous.
Boot camp?
rhcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 08:49 PM   #36

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytop View Post
As we move forward, in making these decisions we should look at The proposals for restrictions on vehicles that may be forthcoming. All electric vehicles will virtually destroy the towable RV industry. Controls on emissions may limit engine size-and tow capacity- of vehicles, and a larger or heavier trailer may spend more time in your driveway than the campground.
Don’t worry, that’s wrong, wrong and really wrong. Towing with a Silverado EV will make you smile - silent, cheaper operating costs, no brake wear, no need for weight distribution hitch, advanced cockpit software and built in anti sway, in a 450 mile base range. All fiberglass trailers will be no problem.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:23 AM   #37

Name: Troy
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Don’t worry, that’s wrong, wrong and really wrong. Towing with a Silverado EV will make you smile - silent, cheaper operating costs, no brake wear, no need for weight distribution hitch, advanced cockpit software and built in anti sway, in a 450 mile base range. All fiberglass trailers will be no problem.

What’s the towing range? The Ford lightening is a major disappointment for towing anything.
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:31 AM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
All of these new vehicles, whether good for towing or not, and whether Fords or not, excel at lightening the wallet! Pricey!!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:49 AM   #39

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
What’s the towing range? The Ford lightening is a major disappointment for towing anything.
Yeah in my calculations 400 mile base range is bare minimum, 450-500 is what’s needed. Both the Lightning and Rivian are good first entries but not practical for towing (the Rivian is more of any of an adventure vehicle anyhow.)

Well towing range - as it is with ICE - is what you make of it, but here’s a scenario to aim for. Assume 450 mile range, reasonably aero trailer and target 60 mph freeway
  • Given 20%-80% desired charging range that’s 90m-360m, or 270 miles net
  • With a 30% range loss from towing that’s 189 miles range, or 3 hours of driving @60mph
  • With an average driving day of 6 hours, that‘s one charging stop
  • With 350 kW charging you should be topped off during an hour lunch break
  • This is a minimum case, with a bit of care the numbers can easily be lengthened (not necessary but I drive this way for fun anyhow in my EV)
    • Using Supercruise, or cruise control, to drive evenly at speed
    • Charge to 90%
    • Hypermile a bit by drafting
    • Charge to 100%
    • Drive to 0%
  • Bonus: get to your boondock with many kWh to spare, no need for a generator.

The thing to recognize is that the main variable is how fast you drive. Keep it under 60mph and - just like ICE - you should get 25%-30% range loss approximately. Drive with a lead foot and you’ll get more like 50% loss.

With the next gen chemistries coming there will be 500-600 mile batteries and you can do whatever foolish thing you want
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:04 AM   #40

Name: Troy
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Yeah in my calculations 400 mile base range is bare minimum, 450-500 is what’s needed. Both the Lightning and Rivian are good first entries but not practical for towing (the Rivian is more of any of an adventure vehicle anyhow.)

Well towing range - as it is with ICE - is what you make of it, but here’s a scenario to aim for. Assume 450 mile range, reasonably aero trailer and target 60 mph freeway
  • Given 20%-80% desired charging range that’s 90m-360m, or 270 miles net
  • With a 30% range loss from towing that’s 189 miles range, or 3 hours of driving @60mph
  • With an average driving day of 6 hours, that‘s one charging stop
  • With 350 kW charging you should be topped off during an hour lunch break
  • This is a minimum case, with a bit of care the numbers can easily be lengthened (not necessary but I drive this way for fun anyhow in my EV)
    • Using Supercruise, or cruise control, to drive evenly at speed
    • Charge to 90%
    • Hypermile a bit by drafting
    • Charge to 100%
    • Drive to 0%

The thing to recognize is that the main variable is how fast you drive. Keep it under 60mph and - just like ICE - you should get 25%-30% range loss approximately. Drive with a lead foot and you’ll get more like 50% loss.

With the next gen chemistries coming there will be 500-600 mile batteries and you can do whatever foolish thing you want
Full disclosure, I am an electrical engineer and find the entire EV world quite fascinating. The biggest issue I see (beside overall electrical grid capacity) is the charging times for any and all EV's. If they can ever get those down to more typical gas tank filling times, they will be onto something.

I did see this video about towing with a lightening, take from it what you will

justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, oliver