Will Honda Pilot (2019), AWD adequately pull a 19’ Escape ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Don’t own yet
Washington
Arrow Will Honda Pilot (2019), AWD adequately pull a 19’ Escape ?

Hi, we are new to the forum, and planned big on buying(fall2019) a 19’ Escape trailer. We are getting ready to buy a new mid size SUV to pull it and are considering the Honda Pilot AWD(5000 towing Capacity), or a Toyota Highlander same tc.
Will these be adequate to pull this trailer?!
KAhern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I'd head to the Escape forum. BE sure to point out you are in WA state. Are you on the west side or the east side? I remember well pulling a trailer up Vantage Pass on I-90 heading west in the heat of summer. That is one tough grade.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I pulled my Casita 17 FD with a Ridgeline. I now have a 2019 Pilot with the same tow capacity and would be comfortable towing another Casita, assuming it is as well balanced as ours was. We have the Campster now and it tows fine.

You have to be careful to get the right model of Pilot though. The 6 speed transmission is rated for 5,000 but the 9 speed is only rated for 3,500.

I haven't researched the 19' Escape for weight. We considered that as an an option when we sold the Casita, but I always assumed that it would be pushing the limits of the Ridgeline or Pilot.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Yes, it will safely pull it as long as you don't bring half the house with you. My brother uses a 2010 Pilot with a 4,500 tow capacity to pull a 2017 Escape 19, and I did the same with a 2009 Pilot with my 2009 Escape 19. On the flat open road you will have not problems, the only slowdown you will have is on steep hills or into a strong wind.

While you can get stronger vehicles that might tow better under some tougher conditions you will pay more and in many cases have a larger vehicle to drive around with when not towing which can be a concern to some.

If I was towing a 19 and did not need a pickup for general use, I would be looking at a mid-sized SUV for sure. There are a few that have an even larger towing capacity too.

As long as you do not exceed, and even stay a bit under, the towing capacities of the vehicle you will be fine. One thing often ignored by some is that having the trailer brakes set up properly greatly affect the stopping power of the tow/trailer combo, something to be well aware of.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #5

Name: Larry and Pat
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Will it?

There is so much more to a vehicle's capability to tow a trailer within guidelines that will keep you in good graces with your insurance company and covered for liability and collision, if you have a problem or accident. This video goes into great depth explaining the issues involved, at first they seem complicated, but after watching a time or two it will make sense. Do yourself a favor in the long run and study the issues involved. Trailer weights from the factory are usually light, recommendations from vehicle sales people are not always reliable, you have to do the "footwork" yourself. The link uses a truck as an example but the information easily transfers to a SUV.

Understanding GVWR & Payload - Keep Your Daydream
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I do not know about the Pilot as I do not own one. But I can tell you the Highlander XLE all wheel drive with 295 horsepower and 8 speed transmission will do the job. I’m pulling our 21 Escape as are many others with our 2018 Highlander as described above. All day long, over passes and down the other side at very reasonable road speeds. Judicious braking, brakes on the trailer set up to do their job on the trailer with a properly adjusted brake controller and using the paddle shift 8 speed transmission to enhance engine braking are parts of towing you need to learn. It’s not Rocket Science it’s just an understanding of the task at hand and the capabilities of the tow vehicle. I always say “don't stop too long for a cup of coffee, this old man will be along directly. Easy does it.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I'd head to the Escape forum. BE sure to point out you are in WA state. Are you on the west side or the east side? I remember well pulling a trailer up Vantage Pass on I-90 heading west in the heat of summer. That is one tough grade.
Thrifty Bill, Thank you for the feedback. I will get on Escape forum. We live on East side of WA. Plan to travel with Escape all over U.S. it sounds like the Toyota Highlander might be a better choice. We will do more research. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #8

Washington
Thank you for your feedback! Really helpful! We have much to learn!.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #9

Washington
Ipdikan, Thanks for sharing video. We will check it out. We have some time as we are not getting Escape until next spring. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #10

Washington
We are going to consider Highlander. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Will Honda Pilot (2019), AWD adequately pull a 19’ Escape ?

Pilot has full 7-pin wiring, including brake and charge circuits, pre-wired from the factory. Highlander does not, only 4-pin. That, and about $3-5K less for late model used Pilots compared to similarly equipped Highlanders tipped the scale for me when we bought our last tow vehicle in 2013, a 2011 Pilot.

Now at 165K miles with no issues or unscheduled repairs. Brakes are a weak spot. No problems, still on the original pads, but they’re just not as confidence-inspiring as other vehicles in the class. Consumer Reports said the same, so no surprise.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #12

Washington
We definitely are learning there’s allot of o consider. Thanks for the heads up on the difference in hitches between Highlander and Pilot!
Old 06-30-2019, 10:55 PM   #13

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
Consider Nissan Pathfinder 6000lb tow cap

We bought a new 2018 Pathfinder and tow a 21’ Bigfoot. We’ve been happy with the arrangement so far even though the steep hills tend to slow us down. The 2018 and newer boosted tow capacity to 6000lbs. We have 4 grandkids so this SUV works for carrying family 2 kayaks and some room for the dog. The sticker said 32mpg highway and uses regular gas. We took out the extended warranty. It was less cost than the Highlander or Pilot but the tow capacity is what swung me.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #14

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninklink View Post
We bought a new 2018 Pathfinder and tow a 21’ Bigfoot. We’ve been happy with the arrangement so far even though the steep hills tend to slow us down. The 2018 and newer boosted tow capacity to 6000lbs. We have 4 grandkids so this SUV works for carrying family 2 kayaks and some room for the dog. The sticker said 32mpg highway and uses regular gas. We took out the extended warranty. It was less cost than the Highlander or Pilot but the tow capacity is what swung me.
We haven’t looked into Pathfinder but will. Thank you
Old 07-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Will Honda Pilot (2019), AWD adequately pull a 19’ Escape ?

Personally not thrilled about Nissan’s use of a CVT in a 6000# rated tow vehicle. You can do your research and make your own decision on that.

Honda’s 9-speed conventional automatic has also had some issues. I’d stick with lower trims that have the 6-speed if you choose a Pilot.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #16

Name: Mary & Jim G
Trailer: Escape 23
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAhern View Post
Hi, we are new to the forum, and planned big on buying(fall2019) a 19’ Escape trailer. We are getting ready to buy a new mid size SUV to pull it and are considering the Honda Pilot AWD(5000 towing Capacity), or a Toyota Highlander same tc.
Will these be adequate to pull this trailer?!
We are really happy with our Dodge Durango. It can pull up to 6200 pounds, has more cargo space, and was cheaper. We just picked up our new Escape 19’ and drove it back to Iowa. It felt so good having a heavier tow vehicle and knowing that we weren’t taxing the engine, especially in the mountains.
GILLMOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape