owner ship transfer issues - vin?? cadet CA to USA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

Name: carrie
Trailer: Cadet
New York
owner ship transfer issues - vin?? cadet CA to USA

hi, I'll start with this, does anyone know what is required as proof of ownership in ontario canada for a small trailer , in this case a cadet..

furthermore, if the cadets actually even have a VIN, which I cannot find on the trailer, but is written in to my bill of sale..

I seem to only have a bill of sale, which states a VIN. but I don't have much of anything else..!

(my car was stolen soon after purchase and lost anything else that might have been there.. though I don't remember what else I may have had..).

NY DMV keeps referring to a transferable registration, though I can't seem to find anything to download..

any help appreciated!
mscarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #2

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Buying a trailer in the USof A and registering it in Canada

I have heard there are restrictions on age of trailer that can be imported to Canada. Also, I too would like to know what is the process to purchase in USA and bring to Canada permanently? Thanks in advance.
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
@Dave... No age restrictions, but there are fewer requirements if the trailer is over 25 years old (CAN to USA) or over 16 years old (USA to CAN). Newer vehicles require proof of compliance with respective transportation safety regulations (and emissions, if applicable). With trailers it's mostly about lighting, maybe brakes over a certain size. I would start at the Canadian customs website and search on "importing vehicles."

@Carrie... When did you bring the trailer across the border? Did you receive a customs form at the time? Can you still communicate with the seller?

Not sure exactly what DMV is asking for, but CAN vehicles don’t have titles; a registration document serves as proof of ownership. Not sure if it includes a transfer of ownership section that goes with the buyer or not. That could be what they’re asking for. Perhaps someone from CAN will clarify that...

USA-made trailers after 1981 should have a VIN, but before then and coming from abroad may not. Look carefully on the tongue; it could be buried under layers of paint. If nothing and as long as the documents are in agreement (I would want a government-issued document, not a bill-of-sale), then you can stamp it on the tongue yourself. While you're at it, you might add the VIN in another discreet location or two in case of theft.

With lost documentation, a closed border, and limited DMV services in many states, you are in a difficult place. It will take time, patience, persistence, and probably some cost to fix.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Ontario proof of ownership

In Ontario the trailer registration document constitutes the proof of ownership. There isn't a separate title document. For the two FGRV trailers from Ontario and one FGRV trailer from Manitoba that we imported to Michigan, USA, the seller simply signed over the registration document to us, and created a bill of sale as well. In each case, at US Customs we received an import document (CBP form 7501) which we took to our state office to obtain title, registration and plate.

EDIT: The above applies to trailers over 25 years old.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadet, vin