My Grandpa’s 1976 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #1

Name: Paula
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Alberta
My Grandpa’s 1976 Boler

I rescued my grandpa’s 1976 Boler. Everyone thinks I’m crazy because the roof caved in a couple years ago and it looks like it needs to go straight to the dump. My husband helped me to raise the roof and pop it back up. It’s actually broken in three places, I will have so many Questions as I have never worked with fibreglass before. This is more a personal project, and with all the stress these days that 2020 has brought us, going into the garage and working on this camper is going to be my stress relief.
Attached Thumbnails
9863C48B-3FF0-42CD-9358-35345B86BAD3.jpg   5247DE6E-AFDE-43DE-AC34-C7F833C2D5D4.jpg  

Holy.Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:32 PM   #2

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Roof damage

Please save that Boler!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: in the market
Florida
Go on some you tube videos for basic FG repairs. Good for you saving that trailer! Best of luck, you'll be proud of it!
sofmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #4

Alberta
I agree!!! Looking forward to posting progress pics and getting ideas from the group.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh poor thing! Glad to hear you want to save it. We've had several crushed trailers that the owners were able to resurrect to as good as new.

Here's Norm's Scamp: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...oof-47443.html

Good luck. It will be fun to follow along with your repairs
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
You have a lot of work ahead of you,,, it isn't complicated just work.
If it was me, I'd probably screw the roof together using pieces of thin plywood, then get it positioned over the body.
Once the roof is close to correct location connect the cleanest breaks with screws and ply same as roof. It will be a puzzle ad to when to join which piece. Step back and look at the big picture making sure the shape is staying correct.
I did a small project using some of these principles starting at post 187 here https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...r-55601-8.html
Get started dont quit,, it will look great!
Fred
Old 09-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #7

Name: tom
Trailer: shopping
Texas
Registry
Your original fiberglass resin is most likely polyester (very stinky, but cheaper) and you'll probably want to make the repairs with that. You can use epoxy resin (less stink, greater bonding strength, but pricier) instead of polyester. BoatworksToday, Life On The Hulls, Hot Action Fishing and Fab, and Sail Life have excellent YouTube videos on how to work with fiberglass.
tomterrific01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #8

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I have resurrected two Trillium trailers from scratch, depending on the interior condition, it may be wise to also check the frame and see if it needs work. It is much easier to do frame work early. Do some research on working with fibreglass (remember to wear a mask & gloves when possible). It may be easier to take the frame & wheels to a trailer repair shop while you work on the FG body repairs.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #9

Alberta
The frame is in surprisingly good condition. I have a bunch of 2x4s propped up inside holding the roof in place. Three corners are torn, one is in perfect shape. Was wondering if I should make a mold from the good corner (YouTube showed a guy using parchment paper under fiberglass) - and use to fiberglass 3 pieces to reinforce the broken ones?
Old 09-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #10

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
OK, so what will you do with the mold? If you make 3 fibreglass pieces, are you going to glue them in or rivet them in? I don't know how bad the corners are? Are they just cracked/ripped or completely gone? If they are just cracked, I would tape them from outside and use FG cloth and matting from inside. Try one corner and learn from that. You need to figure out why they broke initially and also make sure that it does not happen to corner number four.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I think more pics of your present situation are necessary to comment further.
Fred
Old 09-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #12

Name: Amanda
Trailer: Eco
Michigan
Registry
So glad you are going to save her!! Looking forward to seeing the progress!!
Amanda C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler