Hi, I'm Tomi & Burro from Wisconsin - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #1

Name: Tomi
Trailer: 1970's Burro
Wisconsin
Hi, I'm Tomi & Burro from Wisconsin

I have a 1978 13' Burro, my first. working on the inside and trying to discover all the burro has to offer.
I would like to learn about boondocking in the future, unexplored territory, by solar. And I need to learn door repair/security, exterior painting and just to see how fun these are!!
Thanx for having me!
Rustedmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Boondocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustedmoon View Post
I would like to learn about boondocking in the future, unexplored territory, by solar. And I need to learn door repair/security, exterior painting and just to see how fun these are!!
Thanx for having me!
Different boondockers have different definitions. To me boondocking is free camping, generally out in the boondocks. Some only call it boondocking if you are miles from other people others urban boondock in places like the Walmart parking lot. Some of the local ham radio people camped in my empty lot last year and called it boondocking.If you look hard you will see three Scamps in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
09_Boondocking 2019.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #3

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
We Boondock with an Escape 21 with a solar panel. For us this includes the occasional night spent at a Walmart parking lot, a remote site in a National Forest, a National Park campground, a field during a NFS restoration project, and even the occasional truck stop or rest area. I define boondocking as setting up camp without any support infrastructure (water, electricity and sewer hookup) for an extended period of time.

The limitations are access to water or sewer after about a week to 10 days, and that we stop using the microwave for more than the most limited heating. With the solar panel, we don't worry about basic electricity needs, and the propane allows us to heat, cook and run our fridge. We do not use a generator either.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
DISPERSED camping

Oh, and I forgot DISPERSED camping. My first ever boondocking with the new Scamp was at Six Mile lake in Minnesota. I had my choice of sites, with and without poison ivy, it rained all night and all sites had mosquitos. Best of all, it was free.
Attached Thumbnails
06jun.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
And some mix dry camping with boon docking. I "dry camp" at many National Parks, State Parks, Walmarts, truck stops, etc. Such dry camping typically has access to a bathroom of some kind.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:09 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
As Bill does we dry camp a lot in Nat. Parks but with our set up on the Casita we also get on some lost logging trails here in Maine and New Hampshire to get to remote fishing bogs and will stay a week or more with solar for power, When we finally run out of drinking water we'll go into town to buy more and then check the maps for some more wild places to go.
I get my power from a 100W panel that is portable and stores on top of my Toyota Rav4 in a box I had built, and just a 12V wet deep cell battery.
By moving it around to follow the sun we have enough power to run lights, water pump for showers and furnace for heat at nights.
Could stay out for ever
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #7

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Welcome Tomi!

Tags
burro