Oliver vs Escape Price Difference - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Oliver vs Escape Price Difference

Just curious. I don't have a TT yet, just researching. I narrowed down to an Oliver or Escape. I am not interested in Cold weather camping (from Florida
), so I don't know if it is worth paying the extra money. Also, I don't know if the aluminum frame on the Oliver is significant compared to the steel on the Escape, concerning it lasting.

I wonder if there is anyone who purchased an Escape who wished they would have purchased an Oliver.

Anyway, a few years before I purchase, but I am one of those who researches way in advance.

Thanks for input.
Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #2

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
About a year ago I did a breakdown for a neighbor who was shopping, and I attempted to keep it as apples to apples as possible. There is a huge price difference, especially when you factor in the exchange rate. The following is not current pricing data, and options available have certainly changed, but it’s a fairly recent historical example that you can use as a starting point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	129047
Old 04-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
They are so different in layout, cabinetry, and overall interior 'feel' that it seems as if you would like one much better than the other. And you should buy the one you like, if you can afford it. You can't put a price tag on "this one makes me comfortable."
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:48 PM   #4

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
They are so different in layout, cabinetry, and overall interior 'feel' that it seems as if you would like one much better than the other. And you should buy the one you like, if you can afford it. You can't put a price tag on "this one makes me comfortable."

Totally agree. This is why it was an easy choice for us, as the Oliver layout options were a non-starter. Love a lot of the other Oliver features though. But not enough to compromise on the layout deficiencies. YMMV.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Apples and oranges of trailers. You'll be happy/unhappy with either if you make up your mind ahead of time. For me, Oliver is the Festool of trailers. Do you get any rounder a hole out of a Festool drill than from a Milwaukee drill? Then why would I spend the money for an Festool. Similarly, I don't see the camping experience as any better in the Oliver. A fine trailer I'm sure, but worth almost twice as much? Not to me. But then I wouldn't buy an Airstream either at their prices. I could stay at a lot of deluxe campgrounds with the money I saved.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
To my thinking you are comparing apples to oranges
Are you working or retired ? How often and how much do you plan on camping / traveling ? Do you plan on camping / traveling year round ?
If you only plan on camping maybe a week or a few weekends a year then neither may be a smart financial choice .
They are two different trailers , designed for too different markets
The Oliver floor plan looks a lot like a stretched Casita to us
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post

...I don't know if the aluminum frame on the Oliver is significant compared to the steel on the Escape, concerning it lasting...

...I wonder if there is anyone who purchased an Escape who wished they would have purchased an Oliver...

Dwain

Well, an aluminum frame will never rust out or need painting.

I don't know about that, but I purchased an Oliver (two, actually) and I've never wished I had purchased an Escape or a Casita or anything else, for that matter.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Oliver shines as a high-quality, all-season, boondocking trailer. If that's what you need, then yes, it's worth the price. Drawback is a fairly tight layout due to its narrow width.

Escape is a mid-range trailer suitable for 3-season and light backcountry use. You get a lot more space for the money, but it's not a go-anywhere, do everything trailer.

I'm surprised you haven't included the Bigfoot 21 in this comparison. It has four-season upgrades, high build quality, and more space than the Oliver, but at the expense of back road capability and a wide boxy towing profile. It’s the only one with a dry bath (separate shower compartment). Price-wise, with dealer discounts factored in, it likely slots between the larger Oliver and the Escape 21.

What kind of travel and camping are you planning?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:00 PM   #9

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
I'm just not sure as far as traveling. Probably three 3 to 4 months a year.
I know lots can change over the years before I retire, so I am way ahead of my dream, but we will see.

Actually, I have never even been camping in an RV, , BUT my wife and I will be staying in a 20' Airstream for 11 day in July. We plan on doing this every year until I retire to make sure we will like Rving, but we can't imagine we wouldn't. It will sure beat sitting at home and watching TV. We have hardly traveled at all in our 43 years of marriage, so we want to be adventurous!

Anyway, thanks for all your responses. Lot's to think about and learn.

Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #10

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Dwain,

Laura and I are currently relaxing in our Casita at Bledsoe Creek State Park just outside of Gallatin, TN. We are in our 4th season of camping with our used ‘05 Casita. We LOVE molded fiberglass. We have made many friends that own every type of egg camper made. We spent the day at the Gallatin Street Fest and Carshow. We spent the day sight seeing after my morning hike. I had a great burger for lunch and a beer. Ate at a wonderful pizza dive and pub with 24 taps of beer for dinner. 70 degrees. We are now back at the campground relaxing in our egg. Would our day have been any different in a sweet Escape or an awesome Oliver. . .probably not, BUT in addition to loving our Casita we are fans of both Escape and Oliver. Both are fantastic egg campers. I have 3.5 years of work to go, so we are keeping our Casita for the foreseeable future. Our short list of retirement egg campers: Escape 21, Bigfoot 21, and the Oliver 23.5. We have attended two of the Oliver rallies and toured the plant. Despite my perfect day of camping, I still lust after one of these three egg campers. Umm, as long as I am lusting and going to cheat on my Casita: GO BIG OR GO HOME, I choose the Oliver. That sexy double hull design, umm, umm! Plus, it is so effective with its execution.

On the other hand, we might just keep the Casita and keep having those perfect camping days!

Wishing you the best with your research!!!

Happy researching,

Dean
Old 04-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
...Actually, I have never even been camping in an RV, , BUT my wife and I will be staying in a 20' Airstream for 11 day in July. We plan on doing this every year until I retire to make sure we will like Rving, but we can't imagine we wouldn't. It will sure beat sitting at home and watching TV. We have hardly traveled at all in our 43 years of marriage, so we want to be adventurous!
The Airstream seems like a great way to start. Figure out what works and what doesn't, what you like and don't like, and go from there.

Best wishes on your new adventures!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Everyone's needs or wants are different, and each of us has to make up our own mind.
I've had a number of stickies, new and used, and was not going there again. No more poor materials or workmanship. No plastic grab handles, plug covers, or fill ports. And no more pressboard cabinets.

I got an Oliver for a number of reasons.

I had seen one a few years earlier and really liked the practicality of it.
I wanted a molded fiberglass trailer, but too many had low head clearance.
I want to camp in cold weather as well as hot weather. A double hull with insulation is for both of those conditions. And it really works.
Oliver has an excellent reputation of standing behind their trailers.
I was so impressed with the "no wood cabinets" interior.
The fit and finish is very nice and the hull can go through hail storms without being totaled, like an Airstream.
It has four deep cycle batteries mounted in a cabinet over the axles and with an exterior door.
The tailgate of my truck can open while hooked up with no interference with the jack or bottles. This is really nice for getting stuff out of the truck.
It's only 7' wide, will fit wherever my truck will fit and is easy to tow.
It has a lot of ground clearance with no hanging down pipes and it travels on 4WD trails very well.
When traveling or camping, we spend most of the time outside. And with just the two of us and the dog, we are very comfortable.

I'm thrilled to have such a nice little cabin along on trips. It offers a lot without asking for a lot. It's not why we go, but it enables us to go so easily and be so comfortable.

Each trailer has it's own set of unique benefits. Each owner has their own way of traveling and camping.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
We have a Casita at the present time and will sell it in the next month or so as we have an Oliver on order for July 8 pickup date. I want to say we love our Casita and are only going with the Oliver because we just want more room inside and I think it is the finest trailer built and top resale in it's class. We really considered the Escape, both the 5.0 and the 21 footer, but just didn't like the sleeping accommodations in either model, we wanted twin beds and designed like our Casita Independence and Oliver offered twins with the same basic floorplan. We also didn't care for the Escape's wood interior, cabinets, smaller bath, etc. and the rich look of fiberglass was much to our liking. If price is not a factor then you have to go what works for you, just don't purchase one then wish you have gotten the other.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
I still lust after one of these three egg campers. Umm, as long as I am lusting and going to cheat on my Casita: GO BIG OR GO HOME, I choose the Oliver. That sexy double hull design, umm, umm! Plus, it is so effective with its execution.
Dean,

It's been three days since you posted, so you can now deduct another 0.0082 years from that 3.5 years until retirement!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:59 PM   #15

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
We have a Casita at the present time and will sell it in the next month or so as we have an Oliver on order for July 8 pickup date. I want to say we love our Casita and are only going with the Oliver because we just want more room inside and I think it is the finest trailer built and top resale in it's class. We really considered the Escape, both the 5.0 and the 21 footer, but just didn't like the sleeping accommodations in either model, we wanted twin beds and designed like our Casita Independence and Oliver offered twins with the same basic floorplan. We also didn't care for the Escape's wood interior, cabinets, smaller bath, etc. and the rich look of fiberglass was much to our liking. If price is not a factor then you have to go what works for you, just don't purchase one then wish you have gotten the other.

trainman
Hi trainman,

Congratulations on your pending Oliver!!! Laura and I identify with your reasons for the the Oliver. Despite our wonderful Casita, at some point a little more room would be nice, yet the Oliver has tidy dimensions (compared to many non-egg campers) at just under 24 ft and only 7 ft wide. Sure the Bigfoot 21 has a dry bath and the Escape 21 has a 4 person dinette (both have larger refrigerators), but what we really like about the Oliver is the twin bed design. Laura takes issue with the crawl over. It doesn’t bother me! In addition, the twin bed design offers certain efficiencies in terms of accessing overhead storage and making the beds. Plus, Laura and I are HUGE fans of the white fiberglass interior. No travel trailer looks like an Oliver. In addition, the quality and effectiveness of the double hull design is impressive. So, we definitely agree with your assessment.

I am sure you will have no trouble selling your Casita.

Look forward to reading more about your transition from a Casita to an Oliver.

Take care,

Dean
Old 04-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #16

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Dean,

It's been three days since you posted, so you can now deduct another 0.0082 years from that 3.5 years until retirement!
Hi Mike,

I just got home from WORK when I saw your post. Hilarious!!! I like your thinking. Plus, now that I am on 9 month contract, I get to deduct summers for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022!!! My semester and academic year will be over in two weeks, then 3 months off. Probably camping 6 or 7 weeks this summer.

I hope all is well.

Take care,

Dean
Old 05-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi trainman,

Congratulations on your pending Oliver!!! Laura and I identify with your reasons for the the Oliver. Despite our wonderful Casita, at some point a little more room would be nice, yet the Oliver has tidy dimensions (compared to many non-egg campers) at just under 24 ft and only 7 ft wide. Sure the Bigfoot 21 has a dry bath and the Escape 21 has a 4 person dinette (both have larger refrigerators), but what we really like about the Oliver is the twin bed design. Laura takes issue with the crawl over. It doesn’t bother me! In addition, the twin bed design offers certain efficiencies in terms of accessing overhead storage and making the beds. Plus, Laura and I are HUGE fans of the white fiberglass interior. No travel trailer looks like an Oliver. In addition, the quality and effectiveness of the double hull design is impressive. So, we definitely agree with your assessment.

I am sure you will have no trouble selling your Casita.

Look forward to reading more about your transition from a Casita to an Oliver.

Take care,

Dean
Thanks, I think our reasons for the Oliver were the same thoughts that you and your wife had, trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Pretty common theme here from experienced FG RV owners: if you like the Casita layout but want a step up and somewhat larger, as long as the budget allows, then an Oliver is a nice step up.

On the other hand, if you don’t like the Casita layout then chances are a nicer version isn’t that attractive to you.

For this reason, a comparison with Escape makes zero sense. People that like the Escape floorplan better than the Casita ((like myself) are less interested in stepping up to an Oliver.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #19

Name: Duke & Chris
Trailer: Oliver
Florida
Hi Dwain, if you're anywhere near Lakeland, our Oliver is set up at Sanlan Campground for the next couple days to get it ready for a trip to Alaska. We'd be happy to show it off if you are interested. (We live in Lakeland & unfortunately, there are no electric hookups where we store it & we live in a historic district with narrow brick roads so we can't park it there while we prep.)

We are not at the camper all the time so contact me at binkchad AT Tampabay .RR .com

Chris
ShallowGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #20

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
The economy is better than it's been in the last 40+ years with the spending being driven by the dreaded "Millennial Generation". Look at what they are into. Technology, better design, small homes, living downtown, smaller cars, smaller yards and on and on. That's a HUGE change from "Fat, 60 and Up Crowd" that we call the "Boomer's" who like everything BIG. It's been said the Boomers have all the money however that may not necessarily be true anymore if you are a RV manufacturer as you now know the REAL market to whom you wish to SELL in today's world are the Millennial's!

The market trend in the RV industry has been and will continue towards smaller lightweight trailers with better design and technology added. All one has to do is look at the RVIA RV shipment reports to understand that trend from the last 5+ years with the largest sales drop for any RV segment are LARGE Motorhome's and LARGE 5th Wheel travel trailers which is has been and will continue to be the to segment dedicated to the dying off Boomer's. The "Fat, 60 and up Crowd" is no longer the leading market segment in most any category of products and that is certainly true in the RV industry. The current economic data for everything now shows the Millennial's are a larger market segment for retailers than the Boomer's in numbers and more importantly DOLLAR SPENDING ABILITY!

How's that figure into Oliver versus Escape versus Casita discussion. Oliver and Casita are all smaller trailers in size with Escape still making some larger trailers along with the smaller offerings. Certainly on this forum those that like the WIDE Escape trailer's are Boomer's. With the RV Industry now catering to the Millennial's you will continue to see most everything RV getting smaller with lighter materials and better design. Just look at some of the new recent entries into the fiberglass trailer market that we talk about on this old dinosaur Forum. No Facebook for us old folks! You also must realize that YES there are far more Millennial's than you might think that have the money needed to buy an expensive and nice Oliver trailer!

Tow Vehicles are also a HUGE "Driving" factor in the this move to smaller, lighter and better designed trailers. Most Millennial's don't drive PU trucks and therefore do not have the capability to haul larger trailers and they do want that capability. With smaller vehicles come smaller tow vehicle trailer ratings. Lot's of vehicles today that Millennial's drive today have 2000 LB or LESS trailer tow vehicle ratings. The RV industry knows this and they are catering to this segment of buyer's like never before in a HUGE way.

Look at Airstream. As stodgy and arrogant a company as they are even they have realized they need to get "Hip" with there 2 new small trailer offerings introduced into the market in the last several years. The amount of people willing to shell out $50K-$150K for a trailer is dwindling!

Smaller size, lighter weight, more technology and better design will continue more and more to dominate most industries and as they move forward to SELL to the current targeted generation of buyer's and that targeted generation of buyer's AIN'T THE BOOMER'S!!!!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, oliver