Roof Vent Recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Carefree
British Columbia
Roof Vent Recommendations

Hi There,

Looking to replace 2 vents - main cabin and bathroom - need to measure, but pretty sure a 14x14 in main cabin and 9x9 in bathroom.

Pet peeve alert - tree with tiny flake-like seeds fills up my main vent screen now and no way to get them out but from the top....not an easy task. So a pop-out screen or similar that would allow cleaning from the inside would be great.

I have to say I've checked out several brands and the reviews all head the same way - bent on arrival, no installation hardware (although these folks didn't read about what they bought...all vents seems to not include screws), wrong "garnish" (inside trim).

So I thought I'd come check with the folks that came before me

Looking for a model that is as trouble free as possible and isn't a compete piece of garbage - not messing around on the roof anymore than I have to.

1975 Carefree Trailer - about 14.5"

I'm in Victoria, BC Canada...so anyone from my neck of the woods that also knows a good spot to pick these up would be most helpful!!

Thanks in advance all
CarefreeLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #2

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
ETrailer.com has a 14"x14" roof vent that has a metal lid (not plastic) that has a removable screen for $49.99 US. I have used 1 in my last trailer and have 2 to install in my latest project trailer.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Are you wanting just a passive vent?
The "best" roof exhaust fan/vent is a MaxxFan.
It has a removable screen inside, variable speed, reversible fan, and can be left open in the rain. The fancy model has a remote control.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #4

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Have you tried a can of that computer air and blow the seeds out from the inside?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Roof Vent Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Have you tried a can of that computer air and blow the seeds out from the inside?

Try a shop vac in reverse or a leaf blower( That is what I use)
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks Annie!
Old 03-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Are you wanting just a passive vent?
The "best" roof exhaust fan/vent is a MaxxFan.
It has a removable screen inside, variable speed, reversible fan, and can be left open in the rain. The fancy model has a remote control.

Thanks Wayne - love the simplicity of tgheir "small RV" version - but you lose the extra light with them.

Passive is what I'm after - no need for a 12 volt fan.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post

Nope....but I see now I can remove a few cleverly hidden screws to remove the screen from the inside!

Cheers
Old 03-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Try a shop vac in reverse or a leaf blower( That is what I use)

Nice idea - thanks, but looking for simpler solutions - thus a removable screen - clean any time and don't have to haul out the shop vac ;-)

Leaning towards Ventline or Fan-tastic vents with a smoked lid for extra light. There is a local RV store that sells a brand I haven't seen anywhere else....so may have a look in person to check quality. Trying to avoid the standard hand crank in lieu of the lower profile knobs on those 2 brands. Right now I have to leave the handle off because it sits too low below the not terribly high ceiling - hit my head enough already hehe.

If I'm doing the job I'm doing it to last!! ;-)

Cheers
Old 03-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefreeLad View Post
Nice idea - thanks, but looking for simpler solutions - thus a removable screen - clean any time and don't have to haul out the shop vac ;-)Cheers
The thing about those types of fasteners is they have a finite life as far as the number of times they can be used. I would get out the shop vac. Actually I have a Dewalt 20 volt air compressor that has an airbed function that works quite well.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #11

Name: CHET
Trailer: 2019 ParkLiner
NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefreeLad View Post
Leaning towards Ventline or Fan-tastic vents with a smoked lid for extra light.
It seems a little counterintuitive but a white lid actually makes it brighter inside the trailer than a clear "smoked" lid. I know this because I went from white to smoked on one of my older campers and regretted the decision as I enjoy a bright interior.
ChetC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
The thing about those types of fasteners is they have a finite life as far as the number of times they can be used. I would get out the shop vac. Actually I have a Dewalt 20 volt air compressor that has an airbed function that works quite well.

Thanks....I had considered the lifespan of plastic barbed connections - that's why I'm leaning towards the Fan-tastic line - better design in that regard...as is the offset winder so it can be more recessed.

I have an air compressor as well - my take is it makes a 1 minute task into a 10 minute task...especially if I properly purge the compressor between use.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetC View Post
It seems a little counterintuitive but a white lid actually makes it brighter inside the trailer than a clear "smoked" lid. I know this because I went from white to smoked on one of my older campers and regretted the decision as I enjoy a bright interior.

Thanks Chet....I had wondered the same - both lines take absolutely horrible photos so it's very hard to tell how opaque the white lids are and how clear the smoke one's are. The side benefit of smoke is you can see the sky.

I know it's a privacy thing....but a clear lid would be awesome, but can't find any. Who the hell is going to climb on top your trailer and peer inside? They'd come through the roof and then I'm pretty sure I'd know there were there and dawn some clothes....right after kicking their arse around the campsite of course LOL

I'll probably waffle on which way to go right up till I order!

Cheers
Old 03-10-2020, 03:43 AM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
forget the screws....that is what they make heavy duty, outdoor, UV resistant Velcro for. There is more than one way to make a screen removable from the inside.

My Campster trailer did not have removable window screens so I sewed velcro onto screen material and put Velcro on the interior side of the window frame. Problem solved! Motto if you can't buy just modify.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
forget the screws....that is what they make heavy duty, outdoor, UV resistant Velcro for. There is more than one way to make a screen removable from the inside.

My Campster trailer did not have removable window screens so I sewed velcro onto screen material and put Velcro on the interior side of the window frame. Problem solved! Motto if you can't buy just modify.

I think we'd get along just fine hehe - thanks for the idea...love simple yet elegant solutions and I'll hang on to this one until my removable screen comes off for the last time.....

Tags
eco