2001 17’ 1500 Bigfoot Wheel bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
2001 17’ 1500 Bigfoot Wheel bearings

Not an axle question but I’d like to know the size of the wheel bearings.
I wrote to https://service.standens.com earlier today on the advice of Grant Bilodeau.
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Bearings and seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Not an axle question but I’d like to know the size of the wheel bearings.
I wrote to https://service.standens.com earlier today on the advice of Grant Bilodeau.
Not exactly an answer to your question but The bearings (inner and outer and the seal have part numbers on them that are universal and cross reference capable. So you can always pull them ( disassemble) and clean them and read the numbers. You will probably beat up the seal getting it out and have to replace it
but they are only a couple bucks. I have best luck buying parts at a truck and trailer supply dealer as opposed to an auto parts store or an RV dealer. For grease
I like Lucas red and tacky. New cotter key always.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #3

Name: Scott
Alaska
Iowa Dave, thank you for the response. Funny you mention Lucas Red grease. I’ve been using that here in Juneau because of the weather conditions.
I’d like to get the bearing when I’m in the Lower 48 as there is a bearing shop near the storage area where we are going to pick up the trailer for our trip back home.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Scott
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:57 PM   #4

Name: Charles
Georgia
Yes, go to a Bearings and Drives type of industrial supply place and get quality bearings, Timken or Toyo are probably the two best. Last Timkens I bought for a trailer were USA made, both races and bearings.

Best you can do at an auto parts place is Mexican made bearings from NAPA. Everything else is China made and those are pure junk, but all too commonly used.

Charles
Old 05-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #5

Name: Dan
Texas
Registry
I’m a new owner of a 2002 Bg Foot 17. How often should I change or pack the bearings?
qds001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:09 AM   #6

Name: Gerry
British Columbia
Hi there, congrats on your unit, hope you have an abundance of awesome adventures and memories.

As to your question, you should inspect them annually and repack/service every 5000 miles/km. You can touch the wheel hubs when you stop for gas/coffee when traveling, they will be warm but should not be hot.

They are easy to understand and do, Youtube has a ton of excellent instructional videos or perhaps you have a friend who is mechanically inclined who might share their knowledge for something cold and frosty or BBQed.

Understanding how your wheels work and their limits and strengths makes you a better and safer RV person.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Gerry
Gerry H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot