Hi I am looking for advice on a new Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Josh
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Virginia
Hi I am looking for advice on a new Bigfoot

Hi, I am very close to ordering a new Bigfoot and would like to solicit advice from those who have either cutom ordered a trailer, or wished they had made changes to the trailer they ordered. I am also interested in what is a reasonable price to pay relative to MSRP when purchasing a Bigfoot.

First, a few things about me and my planned usage for the trailer:

- I am in the military and will be full-timing in the trailer in North Carolina for at least two years. I will be living by myself during the week, but will have my family (Wife, 2 Kids (6 and 8) with one on the way, and two 70lbs dogs (Labs)) on the weekend and during vacations.

- My tow vehicle will be a F150 2.7EB. I don't have max tow package, but believe I will be close to tow limit. I will consider upgrading the truck down the road if necessary.

- The potential order I am looking at is the 25B25FB with the following options:

- AC-Roof -11000 BTU
- King Jack antenna - Worth it?

- Fantastic Fan installation in Bathroom and Bedroom
- F/G Front Cargo Box
- Possibly Generator Ready Package with Onan LP Generator 2.5KW - question below

- Privacy Curtain
- Solar Energy - Question below.

- Custom bunk installation with Loveseat delete.

Let me know if any additional information will be helpful.

The questions:

1) Floor Plan suggestions? I am looking for the best configuration possible to fit my family comfortably. I know it will be tight, but the kids are still small - if absolute size were important, I would go with a slide out like the Lance 2443.

I am considering the 25B25FB and 25B25RQ. I spoke with Grant, and he said I could add bunks on a custom order, so am leaning towards the 25B with a love seat delete and Bunk installation. Do you see any better options, or anything possible with the 25RQ? Based on what I have seen on Forums, 25RQ may be better for overall floor space - just not sure if bunks will fit.

2) Recommended customization / upgrades from manufacturer?

- WDH added to trailer at factory? Worth it?

- Any Changes or additional power plug locations?

- Solid cover for Awning when rolled? Can't find any information on what this looks like.

- Fanmate covers?
- Surge Protectors?
- Any feedback or recommendations for flooring that will help make it "pet proof" and resistant to scratching? I don't see options for different flooring, but can ask Grant.
- Request Stainless screws instead of zinc?

3) Generator and Solar?

- Plan to use RV hookups primarily, but want to have the option to boondock for up to 1 week at a time. Wife will want to have full power (including AC if boondocking.) What would you recommend for Generator / Solar setup - LP vs. Gas? Will likely add lithium batteries if I go with these options.

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance, and excited to join the community!
Josh NoVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Search this website. I did a long post on just this subject. The main this is to thoroughly inspect it before you take deliver. High quality yes, but still have quality control lapses, and the occasional design issues. For instance, great suspension and grease zerks; except for one zerk that is well neigh impossible to get to. Someone on the BF forum said they managed to put grease in it but I don't see how that is even possible.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #3

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh NoVA View Post
I am also interested in what is a reasonable price to pay relative to MSRP when purchasing a Bigfoot.

1) Floor Plan suggestions?

2) Recommended customization / upgrades from manufacturer?

- WDH added to trailer at factory? Worth it?

- Any Changes or additional power plug locations?

- Solid cover for Awning when rolled? Can't find any information on what this looks like.

- Fanmate covers?
- Surge Protectors?
- Any feedback or recommendations for flooring that will help make it "pet proof" and resistant to scratching? I don't see options for different flooring, but can ask Grant.
- Request Stainless screws instead of zinc?

3) Generator and Solar?

- Plan to use RV hookups primarily, but want to have the option to boondock for up to 1 week at a time. Wife will want to have full power (including AC if boondocking.) What would you recommend for Generator / Solar setup - LP vs. Gas? Will likely add lithium batteries if I go with these options.
I bought our 17.5 off the lot. We had a snafu with the purchase of a Northern Lite truck camper (didn't fit), and I think we got a decent deal, but yes the purchase price was much less than MSRP (about 13k less as I recall)

I'd consider a tent for the kids to set up, at least part of the time. And then consider a van for the TV when/if you upgrade.

The one thing that Bigfoot didn't put on ours that really should be standard is the roof vent covers. But cheap and easy to do yourself.

Not really sure about the advantage to solar *and* generator. If you need AC, then definitely generator. We skip the AC (e.g. don't camp in really hot places like NC in the summer) and use a suitcase solar (but we move around a lot when we camp).

We've had no problems with the flooring with a dog and cat.

I consider the premium paid for Bigfoot to be for the structural integrity. As we've used it over the last 18 months, we've done several small mods to make it ours, but most of those "needs" we couldn't conceive until we were using it.

Good luck
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
No way that 2.7EB is going to do it. With a family of four plus two big dogs, you are going to be out of payload capacity first.

Look at the weights in the real world chart, and pretend for a moment you did not own a truck. Then size the tow vehicle for your real world trailer weight, tongue weight, and payload. Don’t forget the extra stuff you will be carrying. My guess you are in
F250 territory, the BF is not only longer and heavier than other FG trailers, it’s wider too. All of that taxes a tow vehicle and makes it roomier of course.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
No way that 2.7EB is going to do it. With a family of four plus two big dogs, you are going to be out of payload capacity first.

Look at the weights in the real world chart, and pretend for a moment you did not own a truck. Then size the tow vehicle for your real world trailer weight, tongue weight, and payload. Don’t forget the extra stuff you will be carrying. My guess you are in
F250 territory, the BF is not only longer and heavier than other FG trailers, it’s wider too. All of that taxes a tow vehicle and makes it roomier of course.

That's what I am thinking - move to F250 or F350. I know on paper I will be at the limit of my tow capacity with GVWR at about 7500.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Search this website. I did a long post on just this subject. The main this is to thoroughly inspect it before you take deliver. High quality yes, but still have quality control lapses, and the occasional design issues. For instance, great suspension and grease zerks; except for one zerk that is well neigh impossible to get to. Someone on the BF forum said they managed to put grease in it but I don't see how that is even possible.
Thanks, will check your post history again. I did get a lot of information from this site already and I think most of the upgrades / mods I listed were in your "What modifications did you make" post.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
I bought our 17.5 off the lot. We had a snafu with the purchase of a Northern Lite truck camper (didn't fit), and I think we got a decent deal, but yes the purchase price was much less than MSRP (about 13k less as I recall)

I'd consider a tent for the kids to set up, at least part of the time. And then consider a van for the TV when/if you upgrade.

The one thing that Bigfoot didn't put on ours that really should be standard is the roof vent covers. But cheap and easy to do yourself.

Not really sure about the advantage to solar *and* generator. If you need AC, then definitely generator. We skip the AC (e.g. don't camp in really hot places like NC in the summer) and use a suitcase solar (but we move around a lot when we camp).

We've had no problems with the flooring with a dog and cat.

I consider the premium paid for Bigfoot to be for the structural integrity. As we've used it over the last 18 months, we've done several small mods to make it ours, but most of those "needs" we couldn't conceive until we were using it.

Good luck

Great information, thanks. I am leaning towards the Onan LP generator package, although I have read that it can be a pain to get the tanks refilled, and obviously propane is less efficient than Gas. I do like the idea of not having to worry about carrying gas around though, and I am sure the wife will appreciate the lack of fumes.Will probably have solar pre-wired, but add at a later time if necessary - same goes with Lithium battery upgrades.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
everyone I've seen with 25' Bigfoot have used Ford F250/F350 or Chevy/Dodge 2500/3500 trucks, usually diesels, usually 4x4 (even if you never think you will go off road, that one time you get stuck in a muddy campground, put it in 4L and just drive off, you'll be thankful you have it).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
everyone I've seen with 25' Bigfoot have used Ford F250/F350 or Chevy/Dodge 2500/3500 trucks, usually diesels, usually 4x4 (even if you never think you will go off road, that one time you get stuck in a muddy campground, put it in 4L and just drive off, you'll be thankful you have it).

Thanks. Was hoping not to have to upgrade as I love the 2.7 F150, but now looking at going 7.3 F350.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #10

Name: GG
Illinois
Hi Josh
We own a 2015 Bigfoot model 25B25FB and pull it with a 2013 Ford F150 3.5L V6 Supercab Ecoboost. This was to have been our last summer, then planned to sell both. Our vacation plans for coming years will be in the direction of Europe.

The virus situation causes us to revisit our plans. We would entertain making the trailer and truck (truck optional) this season. Both are in excellent condition, low mileage and gentle use for both.

Feel free to contact us off list for details. oldsgg@gmail.com

Retired Air Force, near St Louis MO.
Recycle...ride your bike again.
oldsgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 25 ft Bigfoot / 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4X4
Registry
Hi Josh
We purchased a 2005 25’ rear bed Bigfoot when it was a couple of years old and basically like new. We sold it many years ago. Just wondering if you have physically been inside that model? Would highly suggest that you check out in person whatever unit you consider prior to any purchase. At the time we had ours we had a small dog and a cat that travelled with us (2 retired seniors). I would say that the floor space felt quite small (we had a 1978 17’ Boler prior to purchasing the Bigfoot) and the layout inside was very similar to the Boler other than the separate bedroom in the Bigfoot. We spent a lot of time outside and it was great to have the awning and if you were to stay in one place for any length of time it might be worth considering adding a screen room which could almost double your living space. We had one on the Boler and used it as our living room. We towed the Bigfoot with a 2008 Toyota Tundra 4x4 and had equalizers and sway bars. It travelled fine but a bigger tow vehicle is usually better for peace of mind. On a positive note with the US$ being worth substantially more than the Canadian $ the price you pay in Canadian $ should give you a very good deal. We liked the quality of the fibreglass exterior. The Bigfoot was measured from bumper to hitch so the actual useable space inside is less than 25’. Hope this gives you a little insight on the 25’ and congratulations on whatever unit you decide to purchase.
F.Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #12

Name: Bill
North Carolina
We bought a 21fb in NC two years ago and have been very pleased with the quality after 6 years dealing with all issues of a stick built. Being in the south I had the a/c installed but only used it once it is rather loud and the wife can’t stand it . The 2 fantastic fans with covers do a good job I did installed an awning over the side window which allows ventilation in the rain. I wish I had ordered an aluminum cover for the main awning. The vinyl flooring is very durable but the carpet is low quality I would recommend having vinyl installed on all areas and use small rugs if needed. The onboard generator uses most of the limited outside storage which you will probably need full timing with a family. After using a portable generator for one season I installed a Sterling battery to battery charger which quickly recharges my two AGM batteries from my truck.
williamhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #13

Name: Bill
North Carolina
I would recommend upgrading to a 250. I upgraded from a Chevy 1500 to a 2500 6.0 suburban to pull a 21ft if I owned a 25 I would go to a diesel.
williamhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:49 PM   #14

Name: Dave & Sharon
Trailer: 30th Anniversary addition Bigfoot 25FB
Massachusetts
Registry
Hi Josh,We own a 2008 25fb that we bought last year. Ours is equipped with the front cargo box and 2500 Onan Generator. We love the quality of the trailer.It far surpasses any trailer we've owned. As far as the front cargo box I couldn't live without, it will hold everything you need and more in addition to front storage cubby on the trailer itself. The generator is a nice feature seeing how you can start and stop it from the interior, nice when the weather is bad. However it isn't the quietest one out there but none the less really nice when you need it. We considering a potable solar panel just to keep the batteries top off and rely less on the generator. As far as towing I'v been towing with my 2017 tundra 5.7 using the anderson WDH . It has done a very good job us with no problems. I hope some this info helps.
sddamours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Interesting

The awning is 8.5 feet off the ground. A cover might be a pain as you would have to carry something to reach it. My old 2004 Styrofoam box had a tattered awning. It wasn't tp bad when I bought it but the 8000 miles I put on it did it in.

The cover might not be a bad idea if you just used one section for the leading end. The door and steps my 25TB would let me reach a cover and I think the FB would also work. You got me thinking about a cover now but just one piece in the front.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

The 25RQ does have a little more floor space. A grown man 6' plus can lie down on the left side dinette seat. If someone could figure out a folding or raising bunk for the left side you could have bunks and a fairly normal dining room. Maybe the backrests could be attached to a hinged piece of plywood and swung up for the upper bunk.

The AC is weak and noisy so I got mine without. I can do better with the $1,000 but of course I will have to install it myself. It is prewired for AC and Solar.

My disappointment when I picked mine up was the lack of a skylight in the shower. All of the photos I had seen had that. I was told it is an option but the website doesn't say anything about it. I am 6' 2" or so now and I can stand in the shower so it worked out anyway.

The FB is heavier than the RQ. That is all I can think of right now. Good luck.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #16

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
2500 min
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I made a rather long post regarding my new 2019 25RQ with cargo box: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...-rt-91036.html
Post #3 and #4.
I suggest the Twin Bed option with cargo carrier in front. The onboard Cummins gen is nice but loud. I much prefer a Honda eu300is but it would have to be located external, so not optimum. I am having solar installed with LiFePO4 Battelborn batteries, so hopefully will not have to run the generator, which uses a great deal of propane.

I pulled the BF about 8K miles last camping season with a 2011 Tundra 5.7L 4x4 with fiberglass camper shell and a bedslide. While both worked well these substantially reduced my payload capacity. The Tundra also used a lot of fuel. It pulled up hill in the Rocky Mountains ok, albeit slow sometimes, but downhill seemed questionable a few times; I went places I probably should not have gone with the trailer. One place was so steep the truck simply would not pull the trailer up the hill, I had to back down. So considering the reduced payload capacity and borderline braking on steep downhill grades I replaced the Tundra with a diesel. Hopefully we will be able to go camping this season considering the coronavirus restrictions.

Tags
bigfoot