Bigfoot 17 gaucho bed conversion to dinette - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It’s great for one, but the beds are both pretty narrow for a couple. The dinette in the wider of the two, so it makes sense to make that into the main bed (love the little extensions!) and use the gaucho for eating and longing.

The table in Jane P’s photo is exactly what I was thinking. Easy, no permanent mods to the layout, no new upholstery required, and doubles as conveniently located extra prep space.

A freestanding table with folding legs would be more stable and could be used outside. It would eliminate the need to muck up the floor for a pedestal mount. Buy the folding legs and make the top.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jturcot2 View Post
I cannot believe the picture of the table cut to that shape, simply because if I sent you a picture of the table I cut to fit the same dimensions as the one I see in the picture, it is identical. Wow! If you wish, I can certainly take a picture and post it. I don't know if your table rotates or not, but the one I have just swivels of the center post, making it easier to squeeze in and out of the back side where the back window is located. I have a 17 ft Bigfoot...
This wasn’t my trailer - it’s a BF 19 that was for sale last year in Canada. I copied it for my files & contacted the owners to learn more about it. This table was designed to be removed when making the couch into a bed. So the pedestal bracket was no big deal. BTW, the previous owner of the trailer actually installed it.

I slept on the Gaucho couch in my Trailer. I folded it back couch position shortly after getting up in the morning. This made it much easier to access the bathroom & storage cabinet, and mirror.

The problem with turning the Gaucho into a permanent bed is you limit access to the marine bath. I personally value the ability to move around the cabin comfortably at all times. That’s why I did not pursue major remodels of either sleeping area.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It’s great for one, but the beds are both pretty narrow for a couple. The dinette in the wider of the two, so it makes sense to make that into the main bed (love the little extensions!) and use the gaucho for eating and longing.

The table in Jane P’s photo is exactly what I was thinking. Easy, no permanent mods to the layout, no new upholstery required, and doubles as conveniently located extra prep space.

A freestanding table with folding legs would be more stable and could be used outside. It would eliminate the need to muck up the floor for a pedestal mount. Buy the folding legs and make the top.
Jon, I absolutely agree with you about the bed sizes, it was the sleeping areas that forced me to move up to a larger trailer. It’s great for a young couple who love cuddling all night long. And it’s a perfect trailer for solo camping (as long as you’re shorter than 6’2” ).

You should definitely check out Lugan table systems. It’s an articulating arm & doesn’t require a pedestal. You can purchase an extra bracket to attach to the outside of the trailer to accommodate an outside table.

http://https://www.lagunusa.com/lagu...ystem-category
Old 05-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #24

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yep. I'm currently sleeping on the dinette bed for reasons not worth getting into, but my preference is the Gaucho bed. I would also not make it a permanent bed. The main reason I love my Bigfoot is the space inside. Any other brand fiberglass camper has just a narrow isle running down the center. If a dog is laying there...that's all your floor space. No problem generally, but if you're trying to live there...

So yeah, it would defeat the purpose for me to make the Gaucho bed permanent. That's right where most of the floor space is.

There isn't much difference between the Gaucho bed and dinette bed, unfortunately. There might be a 1" difference in width. Both are perfect for a single, not-too-tall person. Neither are ideal for couples. Definitely a downside to Bigfoot.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot