Surfside Dust through back Jalousie windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
Surfside Dust through back Jalousie windows

Just back in Ottawa from summer in Newfoundland and returned via Trans Labrador highway. About 16 hours of gravel road, between Red Bay Labrador and Baie Comeau Quebec. Most very good, some not, but all dusty or muddy.Day after day the inside filled with dust.
When the inside filled with dust AGAIN, although we hadn't driven any gravel since the last clean up, I realized the dust and mud (which dried to dust) was between the screens and the jalousie back windows and being drawn/pushed in through the back windows. I presume this is the aerodynamics of this fiberglass brick. At the end of the one rainy day the back was caked with mud between the roof creases. When I checked the back windows there was about an inch of caked dust between the windows and the screen. Scraped it out with a knife and the dusting stopped.

Have others experienced this. Any solution other than taping the windows shut?

Alan P.
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If I traveled for 16 hours on a gravel road, I would tape a plastic bag over the windows on the inside.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I just learned about adjusting the Philips hinge to get a better seal. The windows that closed with a good "thunk" sound were pretty clean. The two that didn't close that way were caked with dirt in the bottom corners behind the screen. I won't know until spring if the adjustment was the answer, but it's worth a thought.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #4

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
I just learned about adjusting the Philips hinge to get a better seal. The windows that closed with a good "thunk" sound were pretty clean. The two that didn't close that way were caked with dirt in the bottom corners behind the screen. I won't know until spring if the adjustment was the answer, but it's worth a thought.

Thanks for the variious replies.

I don't think I know what the Philips hinge is? What is it?

I just crank windows closed. If, as sometimes, there is some resistance before they are fully closed, I go outside and assist them with a little push, rather than force them closed with the crank. Don't want to put strain on the very soft gear mechanism.

I also use a large clamp-type paper clip on the outside to hold the bottom louvre closed and reduce vibration.

Alan
Old 10-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I just learned about adjusting the Philips hinge to get a better seal.
Adjustment? Further details please.
freddie b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Philips Hinge Adjustments

This is all what my new RV parts go-to-guy told me last week when I was trying to find replacement Philips hinges for my 4 or so broken ones. I hope I can explain this as well as he did.

The pictures below should show a Philips hinge that's found at the top corners of each of my jalousie panes. The top, interior tip is attached with a rivet for swivel/pivoting purposes only. The screw closest to it is also fixed. The screw at the other end goes in one of the three holes for adjustment purposes. I can't remember the physics of which hole would make it tighter, which looser, etc. The pictures show that adjustment screw in different spots. I haven't had time to play with them too much yet, but my observations with MY windows are as follows:

1. Most of mine were screwed into the top hole closest to the rivet. Those windows seemed to close the best and had the least dirt, grime, and bugs collecting.
2. The dirtiest window had the screws furthest away. It didn't have a good feel when I cranked it closed, either.
3. BUT, the only hinges that are broken (all in the very same spot near the rivet - see pic #4) have the screws closest to the rivet. Coincidence? Physics?

I was having to think too hard, so I quit. I'll deal with it when my windows are all back in.
Please ignore the rust and dirt. Like I said, I haven't gotten to them yet.

Ruth
Attached Thumbnails
Philips Hinge Interior 2.jpg   Philips Hinge.jpg  

Philips Hinge Interior 4.jpg   Philips Hinge Interior Broken.jpg  

Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #7

Thanks Ruth,

When I put my windows all back together after cleaning them up I never noticed that those 3 screw holes are each slightly offset. I did wonder why there were 3 holes but I just used the centre hole for all of them.

Next time I'm poking around on the trailer I'll definitely have to check out the adjustments. Good tip.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500
In a previous discussion on this topic another member here recommended cracking the roof vent. I presume this will will draw "clean" air from the top of the camper, creating positive pressure inside. I haven't tried this but I love the simplicity and price of this fix. I've also adjusted the windows as Ruth recommended with good results. I'm sure that replacing all the rubber bits and seals would help but seems like a fairly tedious job; has anybody here done this?
Last spring we got caught in a dust/wind storm in the UT desert. Our friends, who were tenting near by, were forced to take refuge in the Trillium with us because their tent was constantly being flattened by the wind. As we sat up drinking and playing cards, every 5min. or so, I'd wipe a thick layer of dust off of the table. This is with the windows sealed up as tight as they would get!
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
I'm sure that replacing all the rubber bits and seals would help but seems like a fairly tedious job; has anybody here done this?
Yes, I replaced all the rubber when we completely disassembled all the windows to clean everything. It is possible to replace some but not all the seals without pulling the windows and taking them apart.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #10

Ontario
I've had all the windows out and replaced most of the cranks and put on new seals. My back window (two windows in a single frame) is the tightest. But it is quite clear that it leaks the most dust because of the aerodynamics at the back. Leaving the roof vent is an idea, but I would fear damage to the fantastic fan which I always lock with the little plastic piece for fear of damage from rough road vibration and wind buffeting.

Alan
Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Surfside
Registry
We have a 1975 surfside with the same problem. No more! I took the loovers out and put in a solid piece of lexan, sealed it up with silicon Voala no more dust or rain.
Bill Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I thought about that too, but it's nice to have all 4 sided open on a hot day though. I think I'd just use some tuck tape if I was going to be on dirt roads for that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fletcher View Post
We have a 1975 surfside with the same problem. No more! I took the loovers out and put in a solid piece of lexan, sealed it up with silicon Voala no more dust or rain.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Labrador Dust

I really don't know that there's a real solution to the problem of Labrador Dust. When we drove the Trans Labrador Highway, our trailer was stick built and 25 years old. Dust was everywhere.

The most surprising thing was our Tow Vehicle had dust everywhere as well. A couple of months after the trip, after numerous washes, when I washed the Honda I would still get little runs of water/dust out of the door handles.

Going back to Labrador in 2013...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #14

Name: Ben
Trailer: Triple E
Colorado
Quote:
This is all what my new RV parts go-to-guy told me last week when I was trying to find replacement Philips hinges for my 4 or so broken ones. I hope I can explain this as well as he did.

The pictures below should show a Philips hinge that's found at the top corners of each of my jalousie panes. The top, interior tip is attached with a rivet for swivel/pivoting purposes only. The screw closest to it is also fixed. The screw at the other end goes in one of the three holes for adjustment purposes. I can't remember the physics of which hole would make it tighter, which looser, etc. The pictures show that adjustment screw in different spots. I haven't had time to play with them too much yet, but my observations with MY windows are as follows:

1. Most of mine were screwed into the top hole closest to the rivet. Those windows seemed to close the best and had the least dirt, grime, and bugs collecting.
2. The dirtiest window had the screws furthest away. It didn't have a good feel when I cranked it closed, either.
3. BUT, the only hinges that are broken (all in the very same spot near the rivet - see pic #4) have the screws closest to the rivet. Coincidence? Physics?

I was having to think too hard, so I quit. I'll deal with it when my windows are all back in.
Please ignore the rust and dirt. Like I said, I haven't gotten to them yet.

Ruth
Can anyone chime in on the adjustment of the Phillips hinges on jalousie windows? I've just completed pulling all of my Surfside's windows and replacing the operators and rubber. My back window closes better than it used to, but it still isn't ideal.

Also, the Surfside's jalousies have this type of hinge, but the frames for the individual window panes aren't pre-drilled for each hole. If I'm making adjustments by changing holes, I suppose I'll be forcing new holes into those frames via the machine screws.
kellyben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside, windows