1976 Ventura - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Name: Sal
Trailer: BOLER
AB
1976 Ventura

Hello. I just want to say Hi to the forum. I'm picking up my new... 1976 Ventura tonight. I've been reading up on the Ventura and seen pictures of what other members have done to their little trailer and can't wait to get started on mine.

I'm just wondering if there anyone has a manual on how to work, clean, maintenance or even check to see if the fridge and furnace are working properly?

I plan to take her out for her maiden voyage early next week and have already planned for a few other trips.

On another note, I noticed that some trailer have rail guards on the top bunk. Where would I be able to buy one or could I use a toddler’s bed rail guard?

So many questions…

Thanks!
Sal H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
welcome aboard, I also have a 76 Ventura. The manual for the trailer is here Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Ventura, The fridge may be a different model than stock but manuals are in the document centre to the left and there are manuals for a lot of different models. If you have never used a 3 way fridge, be aware they take a long time to cool down. Don't expect to fire it up and have instant cold. Give it about an hour and check the cooling element in the freezer and it should be getting cool or cold. Also the difference between pilot light and full on is next to nothing(don't expect a large flame).

Best way to get get the propane going is turn on your bottle, then light the stove and turn off again. Then try and get the fridge going, May take a minute or 2 for the gas to push out the air in the lines. The furnace takes even longer as it it the a fair ways away from the bottle. double check them after a couple of minutes to make sure there was no air in lines.

Where are you in Alberta? I'm in north Edmonton if you have a problem.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #3

AB
Thanks for the info David. I downloaded the files and can't wait to get started. I'm also in Edmonton, more central. Eh, we could be neighbours! I might just take you up on the offer if I have more questions or problems.

The fire in Calgary at the Shaw IT building which has knocked out all of the registry computers in Alberta, has put a damper on our plans. I've been trying to get her registered and bring it home. Registry Alberta said best guess would be Monday of next week.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Welcome, Sal! Congrats on your new Ventura, and on finding another V-owner so close to you!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #5

AB
I just wanted to say Hi again. After parking our little V for the past two years to concentrate on school I'm back!!

I just went through the Ventura and it looks like it weathered the past two years in good condition. I did notice that one of the wire had a shorted out before I bought it and I never had it plugged when I camped in it 2 years ago. Tires need to be replaced and of course the upgrade to LED lights as most of my clearance lights and taillights are cracked and some are broken.

The Interior looks great. I painted it 2 years ago and began to update the look. (i'll post photos soon).

My big fear is that everything has seized from not moving for two years, but I guess I will find out soon.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Hi Sal
welcome back, the wheel bearings should be fine but new grease is a must! While you are in there check the brakes and drums for rust. If the bearings are bad, City Spring sells a bearing kit with cap and seals for $11.75/ side but the outer race of the large bearing was too big for mine(can't remember the number but it ended in 10 not 11 that they gave me). BTW princess auto sells the kit for $30 a side. Don't forget to get cotter pins!

Dave
Old 05-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #7

AB
Nice to be back! Thanks for the tips David!

I can't wait to get started on fixing her up and hitting the road with the family. Our youngest turns the BIG TWO this summer and I know that our two kids will love going on some adventures.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #8

Alberta
Registry
we are getting ready for the first trip and just did the bearings. No 2 year olds just a 10lb kitten on his first camp out
Old 05-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #9

AB
Hi Dave,

I have a few questions about the Ventura. I noticed that you added a battery to the trailer. I was thinking of putting one in, but I have no idea where to start.

What brand of battery do you recommend? How would I connect the battery to the rest of the trailers electrical system? I'm planning on switching all of the lights over to LEDs both inside and out this week. You wouldn't have the electrical schematics for the Ventura by chance?

Also, what size of car/trailer jack do I need to change the tires? The trailer did not come with one and I want to make sure I buy the right one.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
For a battery, I would recommend a 12v deep cycle marine/rv battery. To wire it up, I ran a 2 conductor wire in through the same hole that the wiring from the trailer plug goes and tied into that wiring, Black is 12v + and White is ground(or -) on your battery. I used a 3 wire system and tied it a solar panel and controller at the same time. I can show you how I did mine if you want to have a look, heck I have a welder and I just replaced my battery mount with a larger one and the old one is FREE. I should be free next weekend and can mount it up if you bring over the trailer. North Edmonton area.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #11

AB
Awesome! I would really appreciate your help. I will PM you and we can workout a date and time. Thanks again!!

Tags
ventura