New Burro Owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Burro
Tennessee
Smile New Burro Owners

Hi,

I'm Don Anderson and my wife Marilyn bought me a 1983 Burro for my birthday! We are in Knoxville, TN. We are redecorating and plan on visiting state parks and campgrounds in the southeastern U.S. We found the trailer on Craig's List and purchased it from the original owner. To our amazement, when we picked the trailer up the seller provided us with the original manual. I have scanned it into three parts A, B, and C and will be happy to post it if someone can let me know where. It's very impressive as it appears to have been hand drawn and hand lettered. I can't imagine the work that went into it's creation. We are looking forward to meeting campers in the forum. Have a great day.
dondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Don, yours is an example of the generosity that has made FGRV the resource for molded glass trailer info.

I also have the hand-lettered and illustrated manual. Do not have the trailer that goes with it but a much later Burro. Do you also have a bill of sale from the original owner?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Don, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There are lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums. Many have contributed to the great archive of knowledge.

We may have the hand drawn manual in the Document Center. Is it like any of these? Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Burro
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Welcome and hope to run into you at a campground in this area! This is a great club with such good people.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #5

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Hey Now!

Weclome to the Forum, Don!

Lucky Lucky You! What a wonderful gift, your wife Marilyn gave you...a vintage Burro! She's a keeper! (I'm jus' saying)

I looked for one of those for years after I spotted one at a Fiddlers Convention in your Great State. Timing never worked out for me, plus when I was looking they all seemed to be somewhere else in a land far far away.

Looking forward to hearing about your travels and seeing your upgrades on the boards.

have we mentioned we love pics?
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #6

Tennessee
Thanks Jack. I don't have the original BOS. I found the document center an uploaded the 1983 manual. I noticed that there was 1983 manual already there. I down loaded and it had info about air conditioning that I don't think was in my manual. This is a great forum and we look forwarding to learning and contributing.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Hello Don, we need to get together and compare notes. I bought a 1980 Burro and have been upgrading/cleaning it. I live in Oak Ridge. You didn't by chance get the Burro in Oak Ridge did you? There was a sweet looking BUrro for sale just few miles from my house last weekend, and I missed it (out of town with my Burro). Give me a shout sometime.
billhenry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondon View Post
This is a great forum and we look forwarding to learning and contributing.
Cool Beans Don! Pay it Forward
Old 09-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome, Don and Marilyn!
I have what has been referred to as the Burro's kissin cuzzin, the UHaul CT13. We'll enjoy sharing in your upgrades as you post photos (hint hint)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #10

Tennessee
Looks just like a Burro! Don't know if it's true but I was getting some hitch work done at U-Haul and the Mechanic was telling me about the small fiberglass trailer they use to make a few years back. He thought it was called "Burrro"!!!!! Looks just like a Burro. Was it a copy or did Burro make these for U-Haul?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #11

Tennessee
Hi Bill! Would love to compare notes. I've seen a couple of features in other Burros that I would like to consider making on our trailer. One is being able to hook up a hose to a campground water supply and have it turn on at the sink. (With good pressure!) Yes, I did buy the Burro from a gentleman in Oak Ridge and he was very nice to deal with. We're very happy and he has been most helpful in supplying information and answering questions. Please give me any pointers that you think are important. This is our first camping trailer of any kind. Have a great day!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

Tennessee
We will! Thanks Donna. I've read some of your other posts and I've learned a lot. Thanks so much!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #13

Tennessee
I'm finding that out Diane. Thanks so much and hope to meet you soon in some campground somewhere.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Looks just like a Burro! Don't know if it's true but I was getting some hitch work done at U-Haul and the Mechanic was telling me about the small fiberglass trailer they use to make a few years back. He thought it was called "Burrro"!!!!! Looks just like a Burro. Was it a copy or did Burro make these for U-Haul?
The UHaul CT13 and the 13 foot Burro are very similar and I suspect that they share some history, if not some portions of the body molds. UHaul did manufacture all of their own campers based on their own overall design. To put it in perspective, UHaul manufactured about 2200 campers over about a two year period. Even a big FG camper manufacturer like Scamp only makes 1000 or less campers a year, so basically no manufacturer was big enough to supply UHaul.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #15

Don, I know you have a Burro.. but, if you care to learn about the U-Haul (kissin' cousin): U-Haul Begins Travel Trailer Production
Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #16

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
The UHaul CT13 and the 13 foot Burro are very similar and I suspect that they share some history, if not some portions of the body molds. UHaul did manufacture all of their own campers based on their own overall design. To put it in perspective, UHaul manufactured about 2200 campers over about a two year period. Even a big FG camper manufacturer like Scamp only makes 1000 or less campers a year, so basically no manufacturer was big enough to supply UHaul.
Thanks Tom. Great information.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #17

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don, I know you have a Burro.. but, if you care to learn about the U-Haul (kissin' cousin): U-Haul Begins Travel Trailer Production
What a great resource this forum is. The article was very interesting. Makes me wonder if that's what happened to Burro.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
.......... Makes me wonder if that's what happened to Burro.
I really doubt that Burro was killed by UHaul, as these small FG manufacturers seem to do a pretty good job of going out of business by themselves. I suspect that the design and some of the molds were snatched up by UHaul when they were gearing up for their own production.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #19

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Does anyone know how many of the original 2200 UHauls were auctioned to the public? Where was the auction and when? We are always asked how many uhauls are still on the road. Does anyone have an estimate?
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #20

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Even Uhaul had to resort to making them in several different locations. CTs were made in Dayton Ohio and ATLANTA Ga. And someplace out west Phenoix I believe or maybe that was where the VTs were made .
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro