2001 Bigfoot 17 front window cover latches - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Bigfoot and Casita Spirit Deluxe
New Mexico
Registry
2001 Bigfoot 17 front window cover latches

My BF 17 has one working, spring loaded latch to secure the front window and one the has been "rigged" by the PO but sort of works, Unlike Casita with a great and helpful parts dept, as near as I can tell, BF industries has no parts dept. The last time I called for something an unhappy woman answered and said she would get back to me.....still waiting 7 weeks later. Given my experience is there anyplace to get BF parts?

I would like to replace the 2 spring loaded latch assemblies.

Greg
Apltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
those latches....

were/are so prone to failure the BF doesn't use them anymore....they now use common, widely available rubber latches....

I'm in the same boat as you...only have one "operable" latch and it is a SS bolt that happens to fit in the old latch body....courtesy of the PO

between the wind pressure on the cover while driving (keeping it closed) and the bolt as extra insurance....the issue of the latches have never made it to the top of my "list"....if it did I would replace with rubber latches found almost anywhere
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
FIX the front latches!

On my 93 17CB I had one good and one bad latch that the PO had drilled a hole in and used a pin to hold closed. My mechanic friend (Tool and Die Maker) took it and fixed it good as new. Apparently, there is a small circlip (or similar) that can be removed and it comes apart. A new stainless steel spring was put in and a clip put back in. He said it was easy! (?????)
Find a Tool and Die Maker! OR, fiddle for a few minutes, knowing that it does come apart and find some parts - spring and replacement clip.
Or, use the rubber latches.
Good luck.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Same here: one working, one...not so much. Same with Francois; it's been on my list since the beginning, but just hasn't been important enough to actually get done.

I wonder if replacing them with the new style Bigfoot is using isn't the best option...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
2 of WN 717.10 Series Stainless Steel Non Lock-Out Type Stubby Hand Retractable Spring Plunger with Pull Ring, 1/2"-13 Thread, 0.56" Thread Length
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

I bought 2 of these and some 1X1 aluminum angle along with stainless steel jam nuts and made some pretty nice new ones. I can't get pictures now.

You could also buy these plungers and drill out and replace the old plungers using the same bracket.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
One of these threads may have something useful in them for you...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...elp-68500.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hes-74698.html
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: Bigfoot and Casita Spirit Deluxe
New Mexico
Registry
latches ordered

Francois
Thanks once again for a reasonable common sense solution. I found rubber latches through Amazon and also a new stainless latch for the propane/battery cover door. I will post pictures once I'm finished.
I agree with you and Zach about being judicious with the list of things that need don, but I essentially bought a lightly used trailer from the original owner so to date upgrading the power/charger center and a new axle are the only 2 expensive and major things that have needed to be done. The rest is little, detail things.

Greg
Apltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Great!

Oh I totally agree with you there. And these little things can sometimes feel like death from a thousand cuts. They're annoying.

From my perspective, I have a lot of large projects on my list. But every now and then I pick away at some of the smaller projects, because I can, and they make me feel better.

Plus you have all year to work on projects! Unless we have large garages to store our trailers in, up here, we're pretty much snowed out of trailer work for the next 3-4 months...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot