Unhooking Bigfoot camper problems - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

Name: ChrisAnn
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17CB
Florida
Unhooking Bigfoot camper problems

Hey ya”LoL I could use some advice. I hauled my camper back to Florida recently, it has a WDH with anti sway bar. So it’s and extended substantial hitch. I had to have help getting it to release the ball, backing, rocking a Little didn’t help it just kept wanting to pick up the truck when I tried to raise the tinge off the ball. My neighbor finally had me put it in neutral and he rocked it that way an it finally gave. Well I had to take it somewhere and when I tried to unhook today it did the same thing. Another neighbor tried to help and none of the previous stuff worked. We finally let it lift the truck til it dropped out. This is totally frustrating to me. I can’t go camping by myself if I can’t get the thing to unhook
If I have time Monday I might take it to the trailer place near me and see if they can see a reason this is happening.
Solowalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Maybe adjust the latch in the coupler. https://www.etrailer.com/question-134607.html
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree. Check adjustment and lubricate the moving parts inside the coupler. Lubricate the ball, too.

Most couplers will bind, however, if the ball is pressed tightly against the front or back of the coupler. The back tends to be the most troublesome because the ball pressure can prevent the underjaw from dropping down. Lubrication helps, but given enough pressure, it will still bind.

The solution is to chock the trailer tightly and move the vehicle slightly in the opposite direction of the pressure. You can usually tell which way based on the slope and/or the direction you were last moving. Then set the parking brake to prevent additional movement.

I think if you look inside the coupler while unhitched and operate the latch a few times, you'll understand how it works and how to prevent binding.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
and inspect the ball.. if the coupler was too tight it might be a good idea to replace the ball if it is showing wear.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #5

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solowalkin View Post
Hey ya”LoL I could use some advice. I hauled my camper back to Florida recently, it has a WDH with anti sway bar. So it’s and extended substantial hitch. I had to have help getting it to release the ball, backing, rocking a Little didn’t help it just kept wanting to pick up the truck when I tried to raise the tinge off the ball. My neighbor finally had me put it in neutral and he rocked it that way an it finally gave. Well I had to take it somewhere and when I tried to unhook today it did the same thing. Another neighbor tried to help and none of the previous stuff worked. We finally let it lift the truck til it dropped out. This is totally frustrating to me. I can’t go camping by myself if I can’t get the thing to unhook
If I have time Monday I might take it to the trailer place near me and see if they can see a reason this is happening.
Do you have the correct ball size?
(can't wait for the comments..LOL!)
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Unhooking Bigfoot camper problems

Never hurts to double-check the obvious!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Flush out the entire coupler mechanism with WD40 from above and below. Before you hook up again smear a dab of wheel bearing grease around the working surface of the ball. After that, you can just give a quick WD40 spray once in a while as needed and add some new grease as the old dries out or goes away.

Lift the coupler with the tongue jack, if it's stuck, until there is an upward force on the ball. Then get in the TV and shift from forward to reverse a couple of times with you foot off the brake. It will pop loose.

The coupler should always have a coating of penetrating oil on the working parts. Sitting outside in the rain can cause them to become stuck and very hard to use.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
After you grease up the ball cover it up so you don't get grease all over everything. I use tennis balls with a hole cut in them and some slits to allow the opening to expand. Or you can purchase such items. While you are geasing things up don't forget your WDH as it may require grease also.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #9

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Chocking tightly and the thorough oil/grease routine described above solved the problem for me. I chock front and back on both sides to make sure there's no tendency to roll when using the jack.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
Another possibility, I had an extended heavy duty cast iron bulldog coupler installed on our camper(for clearance issues) and struggled with un hitching especially if the tow vehicle was nose down, I finally discovered that if I held the release latch up as I was raising the jack it usually released easily. The coupler has a hole that you put the lock through the latch to hold it open but that is just shy of fully open pulling it a bit more was the trick for me. And greasing the ball too.

Tags
bigfoot