Poll: Would You Rather have Twin Beds or a Queen? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #21

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
While the 25 foot Bigfoot is a big trailer on this forum, it still remains on the small end in the campground. It seems that most tow behinds and fifth wheels dwarf our Bigfoot. So far, we’ve been able to get our Bigfoot into the same spots as our Ollie, except for Chisos Canyon in Big Bend which was marginal for the Ollie. To me they both tow the same, same mileage as well.
Our 28' Silver Cloud got called "the small one," by a campground host on our way to South Padre Island .

CindyL
Old 01-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I find very little difference towing an 8' wide trailer compared to a 7' wide trailer, and I pull both on a regular basis. While there is a slight advantage to the 7' width, it is not that big of an issue for me at all. Others may find different. Having driven tractor/trailer combos, a relatively smaller 8' wide trailer is a piece of cake, but some newer to towing might have troubles at first.

The rear view is obviously affected somewhat, but with proper towing mirrors this is not much of an issue. Never has lane width or cornering ever been an issue, you would need an extremely long trailer before this would be of concern so long as you use good towing practices. There will be the odd parking spot where narrower would be advantageous, but unless this is a regularly used spot it is not a big deal. I have to park in mall and store all the time, and never had an issue unless they were jam packed. At a campsite length and height are the determining factors dimensionally, not width.

An 8' width obviously needs some consideration in a choice of trailer, but I would not let that be a limiting factor to get what works best for you, and gets you out making memories.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I made my Scamp 16 with twin beds when I rebuilt it.
Two 28" wide twins with the base walkway 24" approximately.
The Twins are necessary because She Who Must Be Obeyed decided she wanted that so that we were not crawling over each other in the night to go the the bathroom.
An important consideration...
Also these from the "recliners" in our entertainment room and the seats for the dining table that folds up from the night stand.
Not easy to fit into a 16' Scamp and my bed ended up a few inches shorter than hers...
I voted for TWINS.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
"An 8' width obviously needs some consideration in a choice of trailer, but I would not let that be a limiting factor to get what works best for you, and gets you out making memories."

Exactly my point too. Some additional consideration beyond simply the size and configuration of the bed, is a good idea.

We probably get much farther out than most do with trailers and I find us in 4WD a lot while on dirt and rocky roads. Going into Death Valley, or exploring the Eastern Sierra ghost towns and lakes, for instance, are perfect examples. In many places the truck will barely clear the bushes on each side, where the wider trailer is constantly scraping along. This left a lot of rash on the sides of my earlier toy hauler and it would be unthinkable to take an Airstream into those areas. Instead of selecting two tracks along a rough dirt road, a wider trailer makes four tracks, two for the truck and two for the trailer. Some of the campsites in Yosemite are difficult to get into as well. Huge trees require threading the needle while maneuvering on narrow paved trails with awkward back-in angles. I see vehicles struggling or even giving up while one person is out waving their arms as the driver wobbles the trailer in. Not everyone is proficient at backing in, or squeezing through tight places. Length is a different issue, I'm only talking about the width.

Even something as simple as shopping at Walmart or other supermarkets, or stopping at restaurants or points of interest on trips can become tedious where there are lots of vehicles in close proximity. Full sized trucks parked next to each other often have close mirrors. The extra width of towing mirrors sticking out 6 more inches on each side adds to the fun of getting in and out. I park out where there are fewer cars and walk in, but sometimes you have to squeeze in between other vehicles that have their tow mirrors extended too. I've never seen the need for tow mirrors after switching from an 8' to a 7' trailer.

It's not a huge deal, but something to be aware of and factor into your decision. Do you plan to visit tighter spots, off the beaten path, or just like simple pull through paved spaces in well organized RV parks? Either is fine. One is more adventurous than the other. Getting farther out requires you to be a bit more self-sufficient and rewards you with quieter, less crowded spots. The more I can steer clear of having to make reservations and avoid high per-night charges, the better. The wonders of Valley of the Gods, or the uncrowded National Forest back roads in Idaho during the eclipse are/were great for this. Last winter, the road into Yosemite was blocked by an overnight snowstorm. So we just went back down the road a few miles and turned out into the National Forest on a single lane road. We spent a delightful and very quiet night out there and returned after the snow was cleared. Anywhere the truck can go, the trailer can go.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #25

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
We really like the amenity of a walk/slide around queen size bed tho! Dog does too. My farm trailers are all 8 1/2 feet wide, so I guess I’m used to a wide rear. Not my wife....
BTW, I am on my 4th Chevy 2500 and every one of them came with factory tow mirrors that can be extended. On my current truck you can even mash a button and they swing out of the way when parking at Whole Foods to get some tofu.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I love having the tow mirrors on my F150. I had them on 4 previous Super Duty pickups too. For me now, it is a habit to always swing them back when parked, I actually wish you could just program that in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #27

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
Double if alone. I cant sleep well in a twin, tried it, too small, cant roll over without breakdancing maneuvers, hated the twin.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #28

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
It depends which of us you ask
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #29

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongelander View Post
It depends which of us you ask
My choice when I rebuilt our Scamp was easy.

She Who Must Be Obeyed told me what to think
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #30

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Queen, definitely. A permanent queen was the biggest reason I ended up with an Escape and am probably going to switch to a Bigfoot 25RQ.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Twin. I sleep better when I'm confined. I think I was swaddled as a baby

I'm single and, at home, have TWICE fallen out of my king size bed. Literally, fallen on the floor. It wasn't pleasant and a heck of a way to wake up.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #32

Name: Louis
Trailer: Big Foot
Alaska
bed

Queen that you don't have to crawl over each other
captlou3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #33

Name: Michael
Nevada
Bigfoot 25 Bed

We have a 25’ Bigfoot with a walk around queen bed. It is great plus all the storage underneath the bed is so accessible.
Nvboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #34

Name: RamblinRick
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Age matters

60 plus - twins
50 minus - queen
50-60. It depends.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #35

Name: RamblinRick
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
60+ twins
50- queen

If you are between 50-60 in age, it depends.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #36

Name: Michael
Nevada
60+. Queen
Nvboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #37

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Very different sleeping patterns. Definitely not only twins, but a "two bedroom unit" like we've set up in Peanut using large beach towels as sliding privacy curtains.

Peanut is an Amerigo that has a back bed from side to side, and a front bed from front to center along one side.

Definitely TWINS.

"K"
Old 01-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #38

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2019 Bigfoot 25 foot rear twin
Maine
We prefer twins that are wide enough to sleep in comfortably like in the Bigfoot that we are picking up at the dealer next week. Twins are far preferable to queens that require one of you to crawl out over the other one when you have to get up during the night and they are also preferable to a "walk around" queen with not really enough room to walk around easily or comfortably.
Bob in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #39

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
DEFINITELY a queen.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #40

Name: Bill
British Columbia
Queen

Queen. We have a 25rq and its the best rv we have enjoyed. We like being able to walk around the bed.
sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot