Equalizer/sway bar brands - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Equalizer/sway bar brands

I had initiated a discussion some months ago regarding the use/non-use of this set up.....depending on your trailer and tow vehicle.

Any comments with respect to the BRAND that you are happy with....that incorporates built-in sway and is minimally invasive on the cowling of a 25 ft. Bigfoot.

My research shows me that EQUALIZER brand can be noisy: HENSLEY appears quite cumbersome.

I have used chain style with independent sway bar for years and asking myself why go away from this.....it was easy, quiet and levelled the units as expected.

Thank you.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #2

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I used my Equalizer on a 25' Airstream for 6 years and another 6 years on a 30' Carriage Domani. Will be using it on my Casita when I have the propane bottles relocated enough to mount the rear brackets. I think they are the best out there. Outweighs a few moans and groans every once in a while. I think. there are some others being made the same way now. I just can't see how the chain set up can come close to the bar set ups. Just my 2 cents worth...
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Russ........

I've used the same 750 lb. Reese equalizer w/ chain bars for the past 22 years on over 4 rigs. Adjusting the tension by selecting links has proved easy and satisfactory. The separate friction sway control has worked just fine. If you're currently happy with your rig's performance....I'd stick with your set-up.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I just bought a BF 25RQ. I will be putting a Blue Ox Sway Pro on. Sway control is built in. I will have to cut the cowling however, but once cut I will use edging and it should look Ok. I was going to put on an Andersen, but I have been told it does not do so well with larger and heavier trailers. Also the Andersen handled sway ok on the Casita, but did nothing for weight distribution.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:29 PM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
WDH

I went from the Reese single bar with the chain to the Equalizer. There is a world of difference in handling, especially in cross wind towing. Yes, there is noise when you are going around a sharp corner. So what? The question is, why didn't I do that sooner.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #6

British Columbia
equalizer bars

Other than the Hensley and a chain type system, I cannot find a system that doesn't have metal on metal friction points between bar and bracket...powder coated or not, the paint will wear off leaving the driveway!

Search continues
Old 02-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #7

Name: A
Trailer: Escape
California
Equalizer sells "Sway Bracket Jackets" for the L-brackets, so it's not metal on metal and reduces the noise. Also, you're supposed to lightly lubricate the sockets and head unit.

Very happy with my Equalizer.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #8

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
I just installed a Reese Strait Line, Dual Cam hitch. It was a little more work to install than the standard hitch but I think it will be a good setup. I didn't care for the separate friction sway control that you had to screw tight or loosen.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #9

Name: WALT
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
weight distribution/sway control

Look into the Anderson Weight Distribution system; extremely easy to use, no heavy, greasy WD bars, and sway control is built in; brilliant design. I have one on our 2004 Bigfoot 17CB; they are pricey, but well worth it; made in Idaho, I believe.
WALT2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #10

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
We used the Hensley type tow bar from Pro Pride. Can not beat the way it works. We did not use the jacks for leveling but instead stuck with chains for the leveling system. Saved major head ach installing with the cowling in the way. The system from Hensley may have worked better in this situation but after an installation that included modifing the battery plate to install the crossbar ( grinder work) we are super happy with the way it functions, of course it is overkill for our 21ft Bigfoot but would probably do it again. Lovely to drive in all wind conditions.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #11

Name: Bill
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Teflon glides

We us the Equal-i-zer weight and sway hitch on your 25 footer. The chains do not provide anti-sway which we feel is critical.Once you try anti-sway you'll be sold on the difference. We got the teflon glides which eliminate those random sounds you can get. Works 100% when going forward, When you reverse you will still get a "pop" sound but when you expect it you don't even notice.
Bill Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
We've been using a EAZ-lift 600 lb. weight distribution hitch on our rig for several years with very good results. This setup is recommended by Andy Thomson of Can Am RV who is one of the only people I know who perform detailed comparison tests of just about every type of weight distribution hitch. Andy says that he still hasn't found any setup that is consistently better round weight distribution bars with chains to adjust the bar tension. Can Am welded my ball mount so it is fixed at the correct angle and saves a few pounds by cutting away some of the ball mount that isn't needed after welding.

If you want a good education on towing, reading Andy's Hitch Hints articles in the archive is a great resource https://rvlifemag.com/category/columns/hitch-hints/
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #13

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Don't bother with the Andersen when hauling a heavy trailer. Been there, done that. They're fine for lighter trailers but not for a 6,000+ pound Bigfoot (our 2003 weighted 6,300#'s). We had a Blue Ox Sway Pro for our 25B25RQ Bigfoot and it worked great and only needed a minimal cut on the front cowling.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #14

Name: Jerry
Trailer: 72 cloud, old 80s scamp
Wisconsin
Equalizer

I've used the equalizer hitch for about 8ish years. On the rub points I just put a little axle grease (hopefully didn't defeat the purpose of something by doing that). I had great luck with this! Pulled like a dream.
Just don't drop the bar on your toe! Blood shoots out the front and the doctor tells/shows you the multiple fractures in your big toe!!
Willieswonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #15

British Columbia
Ur right about Anderson. It is OK on light trailers but anything over an approx. 500lb tongue weight, their system does nothing for weight distribution.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:10 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Equal-i-zer here.
Works very well.
Some noise when maneuvering around (even with the plastic pads) but otherwise real quiet down the road.
Other options are Husky Centerline, Curt TruTrack, Reese SC or Steadi-Flex.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot