1983 Bigfoot B17 - issues to watch for? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #1

Name: Adam
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
1983 Bigfoot B17 - issues to watch for?

Hi all,

Our 1975 Trillium 1300 was involved in an accident on the highway earlier this summer. She's fixable, but insurance considers it a write-off. We can buy her back, still get some money from insurance, and fix her (strongly considering this), or we can take the payout and use it to help buy a 1984 Bigfoot B17 that is available in our area and appears to be in good shape (based on pictures; I hope to see it in person soon).

The Bigfoot looks like it would be a good upgrade for our family of four: more space, more storage, better appliances, and a bathroom (though we likely wouldn't use this often and might consider converting it to another use in the future).

Those are the pros. What are the cons? My understanding is that Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) have wooden interiors instead of fibreglass. This can mean issues with water damage, but potentially make repairs easier if necessary.

Other than looking for water damage, what are other common issues with Bigfoot trailers I should look out for before deciding if I want to lay out the money for this camper?

Thanks!
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:00 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
They don't have any issues that any other trailer doesn't have, as far as water damage. All trailers can have it - you should definitely inspect for it.

The only difference you'll find with the Bigfoot is the shape. The fact that it offers so much more space is also what causes a lot more wind drag. They tow very well. They're very stable. But there's that huge flat front catching air. You'll notice it.

The only other thing is that these earlier models had a somewhat weak roof. It wasn't uncommon to see some roof sag. Check for that.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot