Recommendation for awning - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I’m very interested in this thread as I’m looking to do something similar.... any and all pics of various solutions would be greatly appreciated
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #22

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Carefree
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
I’m very interested in this thread as I’m looking to do something similar.... any and all pics of various solutions would be greatly appreciated

Well mine may not be finished until Spring....but I'll be chipping away at it over the Fall/Winter (along with other fun things like lifting the body off the frame....or partially.....fixing black water tank leak which is probably the roof vent pipe connection to the tank....finally attaching a spare tire.....rear storage box access modifications because it's high off the ground....and so on).

I'll report back on this awning/large covered area project when I get somewhere
CarefreeLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #23

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
We use a Dometic 7ft. Cabana. Not designed for Trillium, but we make it work. Had it for 4 years. Great in inclement weather. We stay outside, not cramped inside our Trillium 1300. We bought it from RVPartsCountry.com. Best price at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabana-1.jpg   Cabana-2.jpg  

Old 11-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #24

Name: Todd
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
I added a Shady Boy awning to my Scamp 13 this summer, and I love it. VERY well designed and built, easy to install, easy to setup / take down, and visually compact on the trailer.

Shady Boy Trailer Awnings – Parts Made in USA – Assembled in Canada – Wolf Design
toddq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:16 PM   #25

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 & 1976 SurfSide TM-14
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Jon. I'm in BC as well. I just purchased my first trailer and it's a 13' Boler. It has a rail for a bag awning but no awning with the unit so I asked in one of my Boler groups what people recommended. I had a lot of people suggest the Shady Boy Awning (Shady Boy Trailer Awnings – Parts Made in USA – Assembled in Canada – Wolf Design) and they're made in BC with US parts. They do have the same gap between the trailer and the awning that others here have commented on and not liked so it may not be what you're looking for but I thought it was worth mentioning as another option. I have an email I received from them with pricing and installation information which I can forward to you if you're interested.
Blue Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I put a Shady Boy on my daughter's Trillium 1300. Real easy to install, and looks and works great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #27

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Carefree
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddq View Post
I added a Shady Boy awning to my Scamp 13 this summer, and I love it. VERY well designed and built, easy to install, easy to setup / take down, and visually compact on the trailer.

Shady Boy Trailer Awnings – Parts Made in USA – Assembled in Canada – Wolf Design

Thanks Todd - up here on Vancouver Island (if not familiar with Canada - think Pacific Northwest) - that thing would be destroyed in one wind storm ;-) For me anyway - I'm after large dry space not shade - and made of cheap stuff I can buy anywhere so replacements are easy.

They sure do look super easy though if you are in fact after shade in areas without too much wind.
CarefreeLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #28

Name: Callum
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
I went cheap and easy, and am very happy with the results, which are functional if not pretty. Bought a 6'x 8' heavy weight grey tarp ($10). On the long side, fold about 4" from the edge over a 1/4" nylon rope. Grey duct tape to hold the seam. Fold duct tape over each end of the rope where it protrudes from tarp and trim the rope to leave a tab which helps pull/thread the edge through the keder rail. A couple of adjustable poles ($15 at Canadian Tire) and some guy ropes and it's ready. I can thread it through the existing keder rail myself, but it's easier with an extra hand. I already had the poles, rope and duct tape, so my total cost was under $10. Happiness! Went with the small awning tarp because we are often in tight or uneven spots where a bigger awning wouldn't fit. This rig has withstood very heavy rain and high winds this fall.
Attached Thumbnails
20190822 awning.jpg  
Callum M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #29

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Thanks for the Shady Boy hint. That may be a better rig than my diy rig.
Derek
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #30

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Thrifty Bill, I was going to ask if the pic was taken at Mt Pisgah, then I finally saw the link at the bottom of the pic. Been there several times. Last time was end of July last year.

Charles
Old 12-03-2020, 06:17 AM   #31

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Some brands and information for you: https://vogeltalksrving.com/best-rv-awnings/#more-283
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, eco