Need recommendations for camping spots in Northern California - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2021, 08:00 AM   #1

Name: Janis
Trailer: Newmar
New York
Need recommendations for camping spots in Northern California

Looking for some great camping spots for summer and fall that are family friendly, any recommendations?
janismurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #2

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Almost don’t know where to begin. Do you want to be on or near the Pacific Ocean, in the redwoods, and/or in the mountains?

Places we’ve stayed and love include McKerricher State Park near Fort Bragg on the northern coast, Samuel P Taylor State Park near Point Reyes National Seashore north of San Francisco, PG&E and other campgrounds on Lake Almanor in the mountains, Union Valley Reservoir east of Sacramento, and Fallen Leaf campground on Lake Tahoe. I would include Big Basin near Santa Cruz but it burned last summer. There are many, many more federal, state, and private campgrounds to choose from.

Pretty much all of the campgrounds I mentioned require reservations, which in a normal year must be obtained well in advance. With Covid-19 around, it is difficult to say what will be available.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. My favorite campground in Northern California is Van Dam State Park on the spectacular Mendocino Coast. There are several other state parks and private campgrounds if no spaces are available in Van Dam. The state parks have water, no electricity nor wi-fi.
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the following Q seems to fit.

Where can one boondock, or dry camp, in Northern CA; maybe names of roads that might go through an area that has Federal or State land that would allow one to pull over for a couple of nights, and accessible to say a 17' Casita or large Big Foot?

I recall that it was a real challenge to find anyplace that did not require months of advanced reservations.

Has anyone been camping near Shelter Cover Airport? You take Redwood Drive off 101 to Briceland Thorn Road, then up a mountain to the airport area. I remember a place with travel trailers overlooking the ocean but they were full and we could not camp. But I have wanted to go back, just have not made it a second time. Seemed like a very interesting place to explore.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
We stayed in a municipal campground north of Crescent City called 'Florence Keller County Park & Campground". It is not far from the Oregon border. It is located among large redwood trees. It is very close to the giant redwood parks. Crescent City has a few interesting things to see and beaches but the redwoods are the main attraction in the area.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #6

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Although we live in Maine now, I was born in San Francisco and lived in Calif. until 2005. We tent camped the whole time, starting when my twin brother and I were 4 months old in Yosemite. Whenever people here tell me about a planned visit or camping in Calif. I tell them; do not miss the redwoods in Northern Calif. There is nothing like it here. The Avenue of The Giants, General Sherman (the tree) and multiple places of interest to visit. Although we camped there, it's been many years so I'm hesitant to make a recommendation. Karin
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #7

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
We prefer any state or county campground with in about 5 miles of the coast. They're all great. Just keep in mind that 75 is a very warm day along the Northern California coast, but there is usually not more than a 10 degree variation day to night. The exception is September to mid October during they're Indian summer. Also in many of the campsites solar is near to useless. Our favorites, if we had to pick favorites, would be Prairie Creek S. P. for the elk and access to Redwood which are all around you.
Patrick's Point S.P. for some of the best sites and location. A lot to see in and round the park. If you don't mind the 30 mile drive it's a good place to explore the communities around Humboldt Bay from. We generally try to spend at least a week. About 2 miles away on north bound hwy 101 there is a very nice, safe, rest area with a dump station.
There are some good county camp ground which can be found on the Humbolt County website. I would avoid Clam Beach.
There are several excellent camp grounds near the Avenue of the Giants, but being inland they can get hot.
Around Ft Bragg McKerricher and Russian Gulch are our favorites. A nice area, but if you have limited time it may not be worth the drive over.
There are so many more.
We've camped coast from Camp Pendleton north for about 45 years and have not found a place that was not worth seeing again.
I'm going to suggest that get online with the counties your going to. They have excellent I formation available.
In California if you stay close to the coast it's almost always beautiful and the people friendly, not necessarily so inland where life is more of a rat race.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I would also consider coastal Oregon
We found the cost of camping - provisions and fuel to be less in Oregon vs California
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:15 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Welcome to the gang Janis.
Why not start the 2021 season off coming over to NH to the
Spring Fling in New England Rally?
On May 13 - 16 being held at Chocorua Camping Village KOA.
Real friendly and helpful staff and set in the foot hill of the White Mt. area of New Hampshire
The post to rally is here:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...1-a-94484.html

Gerry
Host
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #10

Name: Evan
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
I recommend Bodega Bay, or Dillon beach. I have had many great times at both locations.
Efunk3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #11

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
We enjoyed Bodega Bay. It's probably been 20 years since we were there. The movie The Birds was filmed there and in the little community of Bodega a few miles a way. If you go, take a picnic up to the parking lot on Bodega Head. It's usually to cold to set outside, but 5he veiw is excellent.
Not to try to frighten anyone, but the bay is the last part of the San Andreas fault before it goes out to sea. That was not a concern for us.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Last comment on dry camping. One time when we always dry camp is while on our way to our destination or on the way home. The convenience of stopping when we want, close to the interstate, is the reason. We will dry camp at either Walmart, Cracker Barrel, or others. Not all Walmarts allow it. Easy enough to check.

The breaking point for us was driving 10+ miles off the interstate to get to our reserved campsite, arriving late, and unhooking in the dark. We could have just stopped at the Cracker Barrel or Walmart, all were adjacent to the interstate. So its more about convenience than cost.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:41 PM   #13
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
Mill Creek Campground, south of Crescent City.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco