1973 PlayPac Hitch Hut Project - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-15-2022, 01:09 PM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: 1974 Perris Valley Pacer
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
The Booth uses the original table stand. It pulls apart and the table top rests on the end of the benches to make the stand for the cushions. I made the booth 60" wide plenty of room for 4 people to sit and even 6 if needed. And because the PlayPac is a little over 80" wide this also allows for a house size queen mattress.(sorry I couldn't find any pics in bed mode) The cushions have been very comfortable but, we have gone on several trips where we only eat outside and don't need the inside table. I like the idea of sleeping really well on my own mattress. This goes along with our goal of designing the camper around two people but also making the space really useful.
The camper is designed to run in sort of three levels.
1.No Hook Ups - Sink, Toilet, Lights, Fans and Stove work
2.Gas generator or shore power - same as 1 plus A/C, fridge, microwave and 110 outlets (not all at the same time mind you)
3.Full Hook Ups - Same as 1 and 2 plus hot water and shower.
Also, gray water is put into portable container or hose at full hookups.
We still have things we would like to do to it but, have really enjoyed the camper and have taken it to four states so far. It's been a real blessing!
Hope my project encourages others the way the others here have encouraged me.

Super well done! I love the yellow and white exterior. This was the color of my Pacer originally. 🥲 Great job on maximizing your space and seeing this through. Cheers!
Fredomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Unbelievable!

Reading this thread makes me wish I never got rid of my TWO Play Pacs that I had at different times, but back to back. You realized all the dreams I ever had for mine until we went and had a baby. With the dog we simply outgrew the space. I even had the Dometic cassette toilet that I was going to retrofit in the 100% stock Play Pac Hitch Hut (with full shower) that I found. In the end we went RV, but it has a 100% fiberglass panel exterior, so i'm still (kinda) staying true to FGRV!

Absolutely amazed at your craftsmanship, creativity, and attention to detail. Huge congrats on a superb job well done! Only thing I thought I might recommend (but you my not have a need) is spring-loaded push knobs for all cabinetry. They are flush when not in use and may save you your shorts in tight quarters! I learned of these on our boats at work and got them for my RV. Its only money right!?

Happy travels to you and congrats once again!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:10 PM   #23

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Scamp?
Texas
walls

same question as Roberta Glover, did you insulate walls, if so, with what? If just the waterproof paint underneath, what product? Thanks
TeresaG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:00 PM   #24

Name: Toddzilla
Trailer: Playpac
Illinois
Thanks for the response.

The PlayPac shell is made with a layer of fiberglass then a layer of foam then fiberglass. So, it is already insulated. I didn't do anything additional. I just glued the vinyl to the inner walls.

The Waterproof paint I used was Zinsser Watertite. This is just what they had at the store when I went. I think Kilz or Drylock would work as well.

I did consider the push button knobs but, decided to go with traditional knobs. Sufficient room so, no hang ups yet.
Attached Images

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:11 PM   #25

Name: D Jean
Trailer: Hunter I
Kansas
Wow, it is beautiful!
D Jean Fullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #26

Name: Andy
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Beautiful work toddzilla! Glad you're out enjoying it too.
Wondering where you got that front box? Looks like it's nicely tapered and simple.
AB1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #27

Illinois
I got the box from etrailer along with a lot of other stuff. I did see one just like it at Harbor Freight. I needed a narrow one to fit.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:07 AM   #28

Name: Kimberly
North Carolina
I’m in the planning stages and mine is currently in another state. Do you happen to have copies of the dims? Also, very interested in any links for parts you used. This is an incredible build.
Kwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
United States
Can you please share any info you have regarding the dome you put in? Dimensions, where purchased etc?
I am finally going to be able to start on my rebuild. I believe the dome is about 26" with 1/2" lip but.....
Jhayes1693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:34 PM   #30

Illinois
My order reads - Tinted, Lexan dome 1/8"x26"x4"plus 1"flange (28" round OD) from EZ Tops World Wide Inc. It fit perfect. I also glued it down with 3M Marine Adhesive 5200. The old dome was held in with 12 screws which lead to leaks. It has been 3 years and I have had no issues. Good luck with your project.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:50 PM   #31

Name: Beverly
Trailer: 1973 PlayPac
Washington
Todd,
You have inspired me to get rolling on my project. The two pieces of advice I really need are these, is there a specific height I should be aiming for raising the ceiling to mitigate sag which had caused the door to gap at the bottom? And secondly, did you achieve a leak free front window by removing and rebedding
It? If so, can you provide additional detail to materials used to re-bed it? Was figuring I’d use butyl tape by Bed-it.
Do you have dimensions of your cut list for cabinets? I love your set up and will be going with similar build. Likely placing an airhead composting toilet though.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Beverly
TrixieNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:02 PM   #32

Name: Flint
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Wow beautiful work We had one but nothing like this wow
FlintHtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 06:22 AM   #33

Name: TONYA
Trailer: Hitch hut
SC
Wait a minute

So after some reading, I believe I could be the proud new owner of a very rare camper.... I believe my husband and I have a 1973 Playpac hitch hut. It looks a lot like the ones I've seen on here...
Attached Thumbnails
20231216_170151.jpg   20231216_165219.jpg  

20231216_153445.jpg   20231216_153418.jpg  

Schaphoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
play–pac