Captains chairs HELP! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2022, 12:31 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
California
Captains chairs HELP!

Hi everyone , Bill M here
I’m looking for info on the casita captains chairs. I’m thinking of converting from the fixed dinette. However I can’t find any dimensions on them , so if someone out there has them ,and can measure them, and also tell me what you think of their comfort , I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance Bill M.
bmecum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:23 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We bought a pair from someone that had removed them from their Casita. Used one in our Uhaul camper that has now been sold. If you have a SD model Casita they will not fit unless you go to a much smaller table. That is the downside of those chairs, table is much narrower. As for comfort, they are OK but nothing fantastic in our opinion. We prefer having the larger table
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We bought a pair from someone that had removed them from their Casita. Used one in our Uhaul camper that has now been sold. If you have a SD model Casita they will not fit unless you go to a much smaller table. That is the downside of those chairs, table is much narrower. As for comfort, they are OK but nothing fantastic in our opinion. We prefer having the larger table
Well that’s nice to know. Would you know what the dimensions are, or did you sell the other chairs, I ask because I don’t know if it will fit me. I’ve never sat in a casita captains chair.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:18 PM   #4

New York
We still have one of the chairs, but it is wrapped up in garbage bags and setting up on a cabinet in the basement where I can't get at it real good. But I did measure across the widest point which is at the top of the arms at the front and that measures 25". From where it sets to the top of the back is also about 25". I think the swivel base may still be on it. Front to back is also about 22 to 24" but I couldn't get a good measurement there. Note that these chairs sat on a pedestal base and there was no storage cabinet below them. In our SD17 we saved a small cushion from the Uhaul, about 4" X 6" X 18" long to use as a armrest against the side wall and a small cushion for a back rest as I (Bob) have a bad back. Maybe another Casita owner can get better measurements. You may want to look at boat seats as some of those are similar and use a pedestal base.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:15 AM   #5

California
Yes I am looking at other alternatives, I do appreciate your help, thanks so much.
Bill Mecum
Old 01-29-2022, 07:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This is what I did.

Look here----> https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...irs-68232.html
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:29 AM   #7

California
Yes I saw that while researching the captains chairs. Good job,
Thans for the help& Info. Bill M
Old 01-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmecum View Post
Hi everyone , Bill M here
I’m looking for info on the casita captains chairs. I’m thinking of converting from the fixed dinette. However I can’t find any dimensions on them , so if someone out there has them ,and can measure them, and also tell me what you think of their comfort , I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance Bill M.
We didn't find them to be very comfortable at 5'9" and 5'5" and average weight. I particularly noticed a lack of support under the knees due to the limited depth of the seat. We don't have the trailer anymore, so I can't offer any measurements.

The Lance 1475 had some really comfortable and very compact swivel chairs, but they are apparently not available except to Lance as a manufacturer. I also don't think there would be enough room for them in a Casita.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:04 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I took out the barrel / captain chairs of my F D as they fit me, but I didn't like the way they fit the trailer. I opted for a pair of boat swivel chairs I found at Cabela's. I think i got them on sale for like $39.
there have no arms but swivel and now the shower door can open 100%
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:42 AM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I took out the barrel / captain chairs of my F D as they fit me, but I didn't like the way they fit the trailer. I opted for a pair of boat swivel chairs I found at Cabela's. I think i got them on sale for like $39.
there have no arms but swivel and now the shower door can open 100%

Could you post a photo of your boat chairs?
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:12 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Could you post a photo of your boat chairs?
I could never get pictures to get posted onto this site as I have tried several times but I will look and see if I have a picture.
Right now the camper is under 3 feet of snow and I am not able to get to it to take any pictures but as said if I find one in my files I will try to get them to you.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:27 PM   #12

New York
More snow heading your way Gerry on Friday
Old 02-02-2022, 07:44 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I could never get pictures to get posted onto this site
Gerry
Follow these illustrated instructions:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...otos-9057.html
Old 02-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #14

Name: P
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
We didn't find them to be very comfortable at 5'9" and 5'5" and average weight. I particularly noticed a lack of support under the knees due to the limited depth of the seat. We don't have the trailer anymore, so I can't offer any measurements.

The Lance 1475 had some really comfortable and very compact swivel chairs, but they are apparently not available except to Lance as a manufacturer. I also don't think there would be enough room for them in a Casita.
Lance also makes a small trailer with a little slide out and couch. Either one is quite tempting, except for the quality and leaking of stick built trailers. I also am used to my Casita's towing style. But on those nasty weather evenings, or when stuck in an overnight spot at a truck stop, a nice comfy chair would be welcome.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain