bunk bed over back seat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2022, 07:54 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Amerigo
Texas
bunk bed over back seat

There is a bunk bed over the back seat of the Amerigo FG16 1972. I am hesitant to lower it in case I can't return it in place. However, I would rather have that space as storage than as a bed. I don't have confidence that the bed would hold the weight of an adult once lowered. Once lowered, you can't sit on the seats upright.

Anyone know about this bunk bed? Used it? Returned it in place? Removed it? Reinforced it?
Attached Thumbnails
amerigo bunksm.jpg  
Don in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:00 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I've never seen one like that in a molded trailer before, but there's a lot I haven't seen! I have seen similar set-ups in older motorhomes over the front seats.

It could be factory or it could be a previous owner mod. There are some Amerigo documents in the Document Center. Click the "More" tab top right above your log-in information, choose Document Center, scroll down to Manufacturers, and select Amerigo. If it's factory, you might find some information there.

Looks like you remove the post in front and it swivels forward and down, reverse to raise. Some white lithium grease at the pivot points would probably help it move smoothly.

I expect the four support points have a wood block behind them to distribute the stress. You could pull one corner loose to see how it's attached and whether it's still solid. Even so, I'm pretty sure this was intended for a small child only.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #3

Texas
I will take a look at documents and check the supports. Thx.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:58 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Don, It was an amerigo option, I had the same bunk bed but chose to not put it back in when I restored mine. The headroom for the rear gaucho/bed was more important to me than the bunk was.

Bringing it down is easy, you move the stop bar to the side and pull it forward to let it swing down. Putting it up is a little tricky as it is very heavy .The only way I could get both the front / backside to swing up at the same time was to lay on the bed under it and use my legs to push up on it.....a real pain.

I had never seen a weight capacity rating listed anywhere on it but I wouldn't trust it with much more than a child's weight.
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:14 AM   #5

Texas
Just the info I needed. Too little headroom to keep the bunk bed, too hard to put back in place, and a safety issue if in use. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
.....and a couple of pluses are w/o the bunk is there's another 3 1/2" x 30" of extra open window space that the bunk supports cover on each of the rear side windows and the 75 lbs or so of weight savings with it gone.
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo