oxygen by bonair - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2002, 09:36 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would also suggest a good travel guide, such as the "Route 66 Traveler's guide", by Tom Snyder. Gives you detailed maps of the remaining alignments. Also the quarterly Route 66 magazine is a great source of information. We found so much in both that we would not have "stumbled on" if left to ourselves while taking our "Mother Road" trip in our '65 Corvair last year! Be sure to stop in Williams, AZ at the "home" of Route 66 magazine. They also have the best gift shop in that genre. Next year, we'll either take the '65 or one of our '66s (with our trailer attached) up the Blue Ridge Parkway as we head to the Corvair Nationals in Carlisle, PA.
:wave :wave
(Oh, be SURE to stop in Adrian, TX @ the Mid-Point Cafe. Say Hi to Fran and the girls, and be sure to have a slice of "Ugly Crust Pie"...MMMMMM:banana

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 11:46 AM   #22

route 66

You'd think I could read better then that. :r you say your going Route 66. I must have thought you were going to skip over OK. it's within 40 miles from here. :wak guess I've been on it so much, I don't think about it.

What to see in Oklahoma? :chin good question. what do you like to see? museums, or lakes, or Indian gatherings? I could probably find you a Pow wow to go to if I knew about when. Starting in the spring there are at least one a week-end starting on Friday, and some times three. There are some pretty good antique shops in may different towns in the area. that route 66 book would be a good idea, or just go on line. I looked up Oklahoma :E and found more things that I had forgotten about but too many directions to pick from. of course mine is the Indian comunities. :)

Old 12-22-2002, 01:58 PM   #23

Morgan's map

Thank you for the map.Can that be modified to go south from Winnipeg to Minn. and Wis an U.P. Mich to Sarnia? That will cut off a few miles. In ' 67 My folks went on a Coast-to Coast Centennial Antique car tour from Ont to the Pacific at Victoria and back to Expo '67 in Montreal. Dad drove a '29 Chrysler sedan pulling a 13 foot travel trailer. The only radiator boiler-over was in Northern Ont. The grades there then were steeper than in the rockies. The '32 is a high tech rod so it will have air. What it won't have is WINDOWS!The trailer has a polaraire fan/vent.

Old 12-22-2002, 03:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Orginally posted by norman and jean mulloy

Thank you for the map.Can that be modified to go south from Winnipeg to Minn. and Wis an U.P. Mich to Sarnia? That will cut off a few miles. In ' 67 My folks went on a Coast-to Coast Centennial Antique car tour from Ont to the Pacific at Victoria and back to Expo '67 in Montreal. Dad drove a '29 Chrysler sedan pulling a 13 foot travel trailer. The only radiator boiler-over was in Northern Ont. The grades there then were steeper than in the rockies. The '32 is a high tech rod so it will have air. What it won't have is WINDOWS!The trailer has a polaraire fan/vent.
I can't take credit for the map. It's a Map Blast map

You can set the starting point and any number of waypoints. Post the new map when you get it drawn.

I didn't know where in Ontario you were located, so I just used Toronto because it's the center of the earth. Oh, I just got it. On the return, you're going to drop down at Winnipeg and get some cheap gas. :o But wait, you'll miss northern Ontario. :o

You might change your profile to show us where you live in Ontario; it's a big province. :E :E

Old 12-22-2002, 03:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

You'd think I could read better then that. :r you say your going Route 66. I must have thought you were going to skip over OK. it's within 40 miles from here. :wak guess I've been on it so much, I don't think about it.
JJ,

The reason they built Rt 66 was so the Okies could move to California during the dust bowl. :E :E

Old 12-22-2002, 04:45 PM   #26

route 66

You mean it goes all the way to California? :omy I thought it only went to grandma's house. :) we went there every 3 months. until I turned 16. (grandma's, not California. went to California every other summer) I can just about remember every turn and town all the way to Elk City.

Old 12-23-2002, 08:08 AM   #27

Get your kicks

Get your kicks ... on Route 6 6

St Louis, Mo ... you have to stop and tour the Arch ... which is the gateway to the west.

Through Illinois, portions of the old road still exist ... you'll run past Abe Lincoln's boyhood home ... where Honest Abe once walked miles to return a few cents to a shopper who overpaid.

You also go close to Chicago ... which is a nightmare under the best of conditions in my opinion ... but many folks love the jazz and the night life.

>>can it be done in four weeks

Jean ... 7000 miles (11,270 km) in 24 days ... yes, it can be done ... but you are going to be spending more time in the tow vehicle than touring the sites.

You'll have to average 291 miles (470 km) a day.

Old 12-23-2002, 10:25 PM   #28

charles 291 miles a day

Not a chance. It once took us 2 days to get to Kalamazoo (300 miles). O.K.- so we left after work - and it was 103 F at Sarnia at 6p.m. with two little ones in an un-a/c'd van pulling a 17' Triple E. We needed to stop frequently and end early. As old folks we still stop frequently but start late - that's what you have a vacation for. We also need 2-3 days at the L.A. Roadster Father's Day Show. So I wonder what plan B should be?

Old 12-26-2002, 06:55 AM   #29

Well

Well, Jean ... the most direct route from London, ON to Los Angeles is to drop down through Michigan to Interstate 80 and head west. Then drop off through Denver on I-76. And in turn, I-25, I-70, I-15 and I-10 into LA. That's 2400 miles (3860 Km) or so.

A round trip on this route would be 4800 miles (7725 km).

In 24 days (4 weeks) , taking the most direct route, you'd still have to average 200 miles (320 km) a day.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:44 AM   #30

When your time is limited and your miles are starting to exceed the time allotted, Plan B is to change your destination to something with less driving time and more enjoying time.

It seems to be a pre-retirement male syndrome to need to set a far-off destination and then all out in sort of an endurance contest to get there and back -- In this game the enjoyment is not the destination or the journey, but the challenge of the schedule and the miles. Unfortunately, many carry this syndrome over to post-retirement and continue to make grueling trips so they can feel like they've acheived something beyond wasting time and fuel (esp at EhLand fuel prices). Much ado about nothing, to quote one of those non-modern world dead writers.

Pete and Rats

Tags
oxygen