Counting stars in our "new" Oxygen. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2003, 10:12 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Counting stars in our "new" Oxygen.

We just got back from a wonderful trip to Wells Gray Park in central B.C.. I was cleaning up the O2 and decided to give it a wax. While doing the top, (which I had never checked out before), I noticed a couple of star shaped bruises in the fiberglass. Also, there is a big glob of grey colored epoxy about center and in the front third. This trailer was supposed to be new. Do you think that it was damaged at the factory? should I be worried about the cracks spreading or leaking? they are very indistinct and about the size of a quarter.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 10:30 PM   #2

Pete; You might contact the people you purchased it from and see what they have to say about it.

Most RV repair shops and also boat dealers are very familier with fiberglass. They would probably answer any of your questions about flaws in the fiberglass.

Old 07-27-2003, 09:12 AM   #3

Pete ... when you say "star shaped" bruises ... is the fiberglass indented in the center of the star ... or does it appear more like a spiderweb?

Also can you see any cracks coming from under the other two globs of grey expoxy?

Are there any fixtures inside the Oxygen that attach close to where you found the gobs on the roof?

Can you take and post some pictures?

But basically, if your "stars" are just spiderweb cracking, that is usually more cosmetic rather than structural ... and will never leak. Boat stores offer a number of kits to fix spiderweb cracking in boats (so you might go to your local boating store and ask for their opinion.)

If the center of the stars is indented, it's possible your rig was damaged during shipping or on the dealers lot.

Since you bought a "new" trailer ... I'd take it back to the dealer and get his explanation. Please also let us know what he said.

Old 07-28-2003, 03:14 AM   #4

stars

Stars in fiberglass are the result of an impact of some sort. I disagree with CW in that if water gets into the cracks and freezes, it can cause spalling and peeling. Go back to the dealer and have them fix it.:omy

Old 08-03-2003, 11:20 PM   #5

Stars on thars.

Thanks for the replys. I will probably seal them myself. The dealer is two days drive from here. I think they were done at the factory, perhaps when they took it out of the mold and layed it on it's back. There was probably debris on the floor that created a pressure point. Anyway, 'out of sight, out of mind' right?

Tags
oxygen