2nd restoration on 76 Trillium 1300 - Complete - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
JPr

Name: Justin
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
2nd restoration on 76 Trillium 1300 - Complete

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have used the forums lots for tips, tricks, and ideas for the'2nd' restoration of my 76 Trillium 1300. So thanks for all the help!

I bought this trailer a while back and the previous owner had done a paint job as well as some other cosmetic work (quite well actually). However the electrical was a nightmare, there were cracks in the frame, the door was falling off, no fridge, and a broken propane system.

While I fixing those items I decided to also do some add ons as well like 200W of solar, extra storage, lots and lots of LED lights, 2x6V batteries on the tongue, 30Amp service in with a PD4135 converter, 600W inverter, norcold 751BB fridge, and other nick nacks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200502_151349.jpg   IMG_20200502_151329.jpg  

IMG_20200519_212544.jpg   IMG_20200404_120653.jpg  

IMG_20200404_141425.jpg   IMG_20200407_212026.jpg  

IMG_20200406_214340.jpg   IMG_20200603_210055.jpg  

IMG_20200406_214419.jpg  
JPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

Name: George
Ontario
Registry
Great job and thanks for posting those great pix. I especially love the one of the power panel - a work of art that works. Just a question on why most people leave the front window and window panel cover. That was always a problem area for me as my trailer got older. On my T4500, I closed it off with a fibreglass panel backed/reinforced by a 1/2" plywood sheet. I now have a sealed area where I can mount a flat screen or use for a bunk bed. I don't miss the light coming in and find it totally problem free.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
JPr

Alberta
Hey there! Thanks for the kind words.

The front panel is the next project, I agree it's pretty useless. This one actually has some rock holes in it as well. Closing it off is a good idea, we also have never opened it.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Wolcott
beauty

Unsurprisingly, lots of similarity to our '76.

Very nice job!

Love the exterior finish and the mostly original interior!

Did you put in new cabintet doors?

What's wrong with your front window/cover?

PS Jokra and Jpr- I would never eliminate the front window and window cover on ours. I absolutely love it, i set the awning almost each time we camp. Just 2 weekends it was to a view looking up the arkansas river that was priceless. I wouldn't put a TV in our trailer, but if you want to put one in a trillium, that seems like a great place for it.
ski country Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
JPr

Alberta
Hey there, I redid the cabinets yes. I used magnets for the door latch, not super happy with that. I may source some of the original trillium style latches.

The front window cover is just frail and cracked. Looks good for afar but up close it's pretty hurting. My kids use the bunks so I try and keep it pretty dark in there. I wouldn't modify it as to eliminate it, just lock it down so it's more stable.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Wisconsin
Hello Justin (JPr)...funny, I am also JPR. I'm just about done redoing a 1976 Trillium as well and I've just put in my PD4135 from power dynamics. At this time, we are not opting for the inverter/solar, but are planning on a deep cell connected to the converter of course to charge it when we have shore power and also to the car battery to trickle charge it when driving or in a pinch if we are without shore power and running low. If we really get into this camping thing, a solar panel would probably be the next step. My question to you is: would you mind detailing the connection of the PD4135 to the deep cell battery and also the deep cell battery to the car? I've got a 7-pin connector on my Honda Pilot SUV that I'm planning to tap into...I've been told I need a fuse on the converter side and a breaker on the car side of the battery. That part I don't understand...any help you could lend here would be wonderful. GREAT JOB on your trillium...I'll need to keep the pics away from my wife otherwise I'm not as "done" as I think I am
Jon in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Battery Advice

Also Justin (Jpr) - what battery did you pick for this set-up?

Jon
Old 06-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #8

Name: Robyn
Trailer: 75 Trillium
Ontario
Wow that looks great. We have a 75, also wanting to do some electrical. I took one of our fibreglass shelves down and took it to benny Moore to colour match it then I painted the fake wood grain doors and the inside of the trailer the same colour, looks so much brighter and cleaner. I used a semi gloss paint.
Dylemma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I just followed the wiring diagram in the document center. I put the battery on the tongue, and got a seven pin connector with waterproof J box. The J box is on the tongue as well. I give more details on my Facebook Trillium page.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Wolcott
Sounds nice, any pictures?
ski country Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
JPr

Alberta
Hey Jon,

I used a MotorEliminator GC2 6V AGM. 190Ah. (its from Canadian Tire so may not be available everywhere)

As far as the hook up on the tow car, ive attached some screen shots from my single line diagram I made.

I used a battery isolator in parallel with the PD4135 (ie - the convertor is not hooked up directly to the car). It works if the solar is OFF. But, if the solar is on, the trailer battery voltage is greater than the cars voltage. So the isolator opens up and actually back feeds the tow car. Which as you can imagine has blown some fuses. So if im running solar I unplug the isolator. Let me know if those screen shots help clear that up.
Attached Thumbnails
SLD - 0102.jpg   SLD - 0202.jpg  

Isolator.png   7 Pin.png  

Old 06-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Thanks much for the help you two -

I'll give it a go -
Old 06-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Jpr - Bike Rack

Hi Justin - (Jpr)...I noticed that you also put a bike rack on your RV. Is it a two bike unit or can it fit more? I would like to know the brand and if you are happy with it. I am a little hesitant to have the spare tire AND the bike rack on the 2 x 3 back bumper...have you had any issues with this?

Any feedback you have is helpful...thanks!

Jon
Old 06-26-2020, 08:05 PM   #14
JPr

Alberta
Hey Jon!

Its a 2 bike rack. Yakima Hold Up.

Haven't had any issues yet. I will be adding the +2 bike extension in the future when the kids get a bit older. Worst case it bends and I get the ol welder out and beef it up.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #15

Wisconsin
Bike Rack

No issues with too much weight on the bumper...have you used it often?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:10 PM   #16

Wisconsin
ooops

sorry, I need to read more carefully, I see you haven't had any issues...thx!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Battery Box

Justin - I'm gonna end up copying a lot of your design...did you build that battery box or buy it...if you bought it, what is the brand and where did you get it...it looks to be a good set-up!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #18
JPr

Alberta
Hey Jon,

I bought it on amazon.

NOCO HM426 Dual 6V Commercial Grade Battery Box for Automotive, Marine and RV Batteries https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003VAUG5A/..._SrR9Eb5N2VMR9

I paid around 100 CAD for it.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:30 AM   #19

Wisconsin
battery box

Thanks Justin...appreciate your help!
Old 06-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #20

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPr View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have used the forums lots for tips, tricks, and ideas for the'2nd' restoration of my 76 Trillium 1300. So thanks for all the help!

I bought this trailer a while back and the previous owner had done a paint job as well as some other cosmetic work (quite well actually). However the electrical was a nightmare, there were cracks in the frame, the door was falling off, no fridge, and a broken propane system.

While I fixing those items I decided to also do some add ons as well like 200W of solar, extra storage, lots and lots of LED lights, 2x6V batteries on the tongue, 30Amp service in with a PD4135 converter, 600W inverter, norcold 751BB fridge, and other nick nacks.

thanks for sharing, nice job. Like the wheels what are they?
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium