Boat on back of Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Boat on back of Trillium

I have a Trillium 1300 and an 8’ Livingston dingy. We just go up island for our holidays (Vancouver Island), but the problem is we can take either the Trillium or the Livingston. I am thinking of fabricating the metalwork to stand the Livingston upright on the Trilliums rear bumper, keel forward. I’m aware it is a load, but the distance is short and the roads good. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
My guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleverton View Post
I have a Trillium 1300 and an 8’ Livingston dingy. I am thinking of fabricating the metalwork to stand the Livingston upright on the Trilliums rear bumper, keel forward. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The Trillium 1300 is not a cargo trailer. My GUESS is that 150 pounds on the back bumper is going to do bad things to the weight distribution and therefor the towing stability.Some people have had trouble putting a bicycle on the back.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #3

Registry
Thanks for that and if course your right, rear load means less tongue weight means possible instability.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Wouldn't the boat also be sticking up above the trailer like a parachute?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #5

Registry
Well sort of. It’s an 8’er so would clear the roofline by about 20”. The plan was to carry it keel forward so it would be aerodynamic.
I know this is a bazaar idea. It is 106 lb and the aluminum braces would be about 12 to 14 lb.
I have transported some bazaar loads in my time and this isn’t even close to the prize-winners. That said they seem to be fussier these days regarding what you take on the road.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #6

Name: MJ
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Washington
Quote:
Well sort of. It’s an 8’er so would clear the roofline by about 20”. The plan was to carry it keel forward so it would be aerodynamic.
I know this is a bazaar idea. It is 106 lb and the aluminum braces would be about 12 to 14 lb.
I have transported some bazaar loads in my time and this isn’t even close to the prize-winners. That said they seem to be fussier these days regarding what you take on the road.

To All: I try to engage in the many FGRV forums in the spirit of sharing and enjoyment and endeavor to be upbeat. Based on the above quote, not sure "who" is fussier about "what " on the roads, but feel as though many questions on the forums lately are at their essence, are asking "should I try to get away with this thing that is really questionable. And...that many of the answers tend towards, "I did this sketch thing, and nothing bad happened, (that I know of), and you should do it too.

None of us are on the road alone. Fellow FGRV lovers, please stop asking for approval to do selfish stuff. Please stop being so proud of the selfish stuff you've done.

Today is the day I can no longer be silent on this. This is my opinion, period.
gtblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #7

Registry
Boat on back of Trillium

I’m not proposing anything sketchy or dangerous or illegal, just bazaar. It is an unusual configuration. I’m asking in the spirit of; does anyone know if this has been done, does anyone see any issues. Did you read what I was pondering? If you see a safety or engineering issue, please share. And the bazaar loads I’ve transported in the past were also legal, and safe, but unusual.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:45 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Bizarre.

bazaar noun a market in a Middle Eastern country. • a fundraising sale of goods. a large shop selling miscellaneous goods.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the only thing I would be worried about is the loading on the frame itself, you might need to brace the bumper section to give it a bit more strength, and of course check the front section for cracks at the infamous "bends". It might actually be more reasonable in this case to do a rear mounted hitch on the trailer and pull the boat on a trailer, like the logging truck "B trains", especially with such a light weight boat.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:32 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I'd beef up the frame before doing anything. Then I would remove the rear tire. That much additional weight on the back will adversely affect tongue weight.

As far as what has been done before, I've seen some crazy stuff on the road that I would not copy, like a motorcycle pulling a washing machine on a flat bed trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I got stopped once in California when I was driving an electric utility pickup because one of my lights was out ( didn’t get a ticket) but I as he was scolding me a guy went by towing a lawnmower behind a pickup ( over hanging load) he had a dog leash tied to the truck bumper and to the lawn mower... that thing was flying all over the road.... maybe he need a weigh distribution hitch .. just asking... and no the police officer didn’t go after him .... oh well
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #12

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I remember a few years back California had to pass a law making someone criminally liable if something they were carrying or towing came loose and caused a traffic fatality. I personally have had to dodge flying objects on Californian and Oregonian highways.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:45 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
the only thing I would be worried about is the loading on the frame itself, you might need to brace the bumper section to give it a bit more strength, and of course check the front section for cracks at the infamous "bends". It might actually be more reasonable in this case to do a rear mounted hitch on the trailer and pull the boat on a trailer, like the logging truck "B trains", especially with such a light weight boat.
Joe

Thanks Joe. I would prefer the Btrain idea, but it is not legal here.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I'd beef up the frame before doing anything. Then I would remove the rear tire. That much additional weight on the back will adversely affect tongue weight.

As far as what has been done before, I've seen some crazy stuff on the road that I would not copy, like a motorcycle pulling a washing machine on a flat bed trailer.

Thanks Bill Yes the rear tire would go in the tug. We generally carry our gear in the tug, so even with the boat we are not exceeding loaded weight. I called BC Ferries as we like to camp on a little island off our island and they asked for a sketch and said they were OK with the idea.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
are you height restricted on the Ferry? I had always thought about building an auto boat loader when I had my little trillium, and was going to build a rack and loader to become part of the trillium frame.
something like this:
Load My Boat Products: Boat Loaders
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #16

Registry
Joe, there is a height restriction on the main ferry routes, but the secondary routes no. I called BC Ferries and they are OK with it on the secondary routes
Old 07-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #17

Name: MJ
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Washington
Quote:
I’m not proposing anything sketchy or dangerous or illegal, just bazaar. It is an unusual configuration. I’m asking in the spirit of; does anyone know if this has been done, does anyone see any issues. Did you read what I was pondering? If you see a safety or engineering issue, please share. And the bazaar loads I’ve transported in the past were also legal, and safe, but unusual.

Regardless of what anyone has done, says they are proposing, or actually does, I stand behind my original response, in word and intention. GTBLUE.
gtblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #18

Registry
gtblue. I have no problem with you having a strong opinion, I welcome it. The flaming and name calling I find inappropriate.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Like I mentioned, some have highly modified their rigs and done all kinds of changes. I would not count on the original frame as is, but with changes, I can see it working.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #20

Registry
Thank you Bill. I think year right about the frame, I was under having a look today.

Tags
trillium