Rivets or bolts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #1

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Rivets or bolts

I have gutted my boler and removed the shell off its frame as she is going to get a complete new undercarriage.

So when I removed some items they were screwed on to the shell with small machine screws.
Were all cupboards , kitchen counter screwed on with these screws originally or were they riveted to the body.

if riveted what kind of rivets would you use so it is water tight.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #2

Name: Jay
British Columbia
I replaced nearly all of my rivets with stainless bolts. For the exterior washers, I bought a box of screws used to install metal roofing. They come pre painted with a metal washer with a rubber gasket attached. Just remove the washer from the screw. As long as you can live with the limited colour selection, they work great. I went with black on my bright yellow exterior. Been 3-4 months and so far no leaks at all. Up here it rains way more days than not, so it's been a good test.
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Screws, rivets or bolts will depend on what you need to achieve. Screws are fast and easy to use but have limited holding power. Rivets are stronger, harder to use and harder to remove if you have to at a later date. Nuts and bolts are the strongest, usually more expensive but can be removed easily.
I use all three, depending on the application.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
rivets hold very well and can be water proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Screws, rivets or bolts will depend on what you need to achieve. Screws are fast and easy to use but have limited holding power. Rivets are stronger, harder to use and harder to remove if you have to at a later date. Nuts and bolts are the strongest, usually more expensive but can be removed easily.
I use all three, depending on the application.
I am replacing all rivets with closed end marine rivets; got them from Spaenaur in Kitchener Ontario; aluminum same size as original rivets.

https://spaenaur.com/products.asp also purchase some other parts from them for our boler

Will have to go to a scales to see how much weight i have added so far to the trailer with my rebuild. Have make some items stronger as a carpenter can not help myself lol
Old 09-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the lead to Spaenaur in Kitchener. I've been agonizing over what to replace my rivets with. This Ontario lead is appreciated by my Earlton '73 Boler.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #6

Name: mensie
Alberta
Anyone know what size rivets were used for the windows?
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
The main reason given for using pop rivets with fiberglass is they will break away when they need to. If there is undue strain on a particular fastner, it is better to have a rivet pop than to tear a hole in the fiberglass.
If using screws, be sure to use washers or some other method to avoid high stress in a small area and spread the strain to more than one fastener.
An air operated rivet gun makes the application a lot easier.

For vent covers, etc. that need to be removed occasionally, install the little inserts that look like a cocklebur and have internal threads. Look up "Nut inserts for wood". Put some epoxy on them before inserting. Use stainless steel screws.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler