Help: Boler Tires & Towing question ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #1

Name: Stefan
Trailer: In the market
Louisiana
Help: Boler Tires & Towing question ?

Hi everybody. I am looking for advice on towing a Boler that needs new tires and potentially has no working electrical. I am new to the fiberglass trailer remodeling but wanted to do this since several years now. I came across a old trailer- seems to be a Boler- but not sure. Owner has no title, which is another issue and question I have what to do in that scenario? I think its so old that I don't need one..not sure.

But to get the trailer home I will need to add new tires on it and wonder what size and where to get these? I think I saw some where 15" normal car tires but is the bolt pattern important? what to look for or where to get them. Any information this would be great.

The hitch electronics are not working . Is there a way around it? Is there may be a temporary wirering / tow kit that could be mounted to the rear? something that U haul would rent ? And does anybody know what hitch size / ball these usually need?

Thanks so much
beesigner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beesigner69 View Post
Hi everybody. I am looking for advice on towing a Boler that needs new tires and potentially has no working electrical. I am new to the fiberglass trailer remodeling but wanted to do this since several years now. I came across a old trailer- seems to be a Boler- but not sure. Owner has no title, which is another issue and question I have what to do in that scenario? I think its so old that I don't need one..not sure.

But to get the trailer home I will need to add new tires on it and wonder what size and where to get these? I think I saw some where 15" normal car tires but is the bolt pattern important? what to look for or where to get them. Any information this would be great.

The hitch electronics are not working . Is there a way around it? Is there may be a temporary wirering / tow kit that could be mounted to the rear? something that U haul would rent ? And does anybody know what hitch size / ball these usually need?

Thanks so much
Go down to harbor freight and get a set of magnetic tow lights, They come with enough wire to reach the back of your trailer and they plug into a four plug. $14.99
As for tires, you can use a little judgement, air them up and look them over. If you can't trust them to get you home, you can buy tires already mounted on new rims at your local big box hardware store,
If it is a 13 it will use 13" tires with trailer rims. The originals from the early 70s used 155s but you will probably find 175/80s in stock most places. They may not be premium but they are budget priced and should do well for your first set. Don't forget to take a jack and a fourway wrench and some duct tape.

The magnets work well but an extra wrap of duct tape cain't hurt!
My retrieval kit also contains grease and extra wheel bearings, an air mattress, some bungee cords,and basic tools. also if your looking at an old 13fter it will have a 1-7/8" ball, not a 2" (take both) these trailers are low riders so take a draw bar with enough drop.

Every state is different about titles, so ask the basic questions at your local DMV. At least get a standard "bill of sale" on which the seller affirms his sole ownership, and his right to sell it to you for $.

Go early, on a day when it ain't raining.
Remove the curtains if there are any and you should be able to see traffic behind you right through the trailer.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I think the above post is a very good guide.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Go down to harbor freight and get a set of magnetic tow lights, They come with enough wire to reach the back of your trailer and they plug into a four plug. $14.99
As for tires, you can use a little judgement, air them up and look them over. If you can't trust them to get you home, you can buy tires already mounted on new rims at your local big box hardware store,
If it is a 13 it will use 13" tires with trailer rims. The originals from the early 70s used 155s but you will probably find 175/80s in stock most places. They may not be premium but they are budget priced and should do well for your first set. Don't forget to take a jack and a fourway wrench and some duct tape.

The magnets work well but an extra wrap of duct tape cain't hurt!
My retrieval kit also contains grease and extra wheel bearings, an air mattress, some bungee cords,and basic tools. also if your looking at an old 13fter it will have a 1-7/8" ball, not a 2" (take both) these trailers are low riders so take a draw bar with enough drop.

Every state is different about titles, so ask the basic questions at your local DMV. At least get a standard "bill of sale" on which the seller affirms his sole ownership, and his right to sell it to you for $.

Go early, on a day when it ain't raining.
Remove the curtains if there are any and you should be able to see traffic behind you right through the trailer.

AWESOME! thanks so much for all the info. This is great and should work out. Happy to (hopefully) soon be a Boler owner and learn from & contribute to this forum
Old 01-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
AWESOME! thanks so much for all the info. This is great and should work out. Happy to (hopefully) soon be a Boler owner and learn from & contribute to this forum
Verify this, but the older Boler should have 4lug wheels
Old 01-31-2018, 02:08 PM   #6

Louisiana
Quote:
Verify this, but the older Boler should have 4lug wheels
the owner sent me some pictures and the number of the tire thats on it: Firestone FR P155/80R1379S.M+S Had to put the contrast all up on the picture to see the bolts but looks like 5 unless its a uneven hole pattern.

On another note I just got a bit concerned about potential frame issues on this trailer. Being a newbie to the remodeling, I have no idea what to do or fix this. Attached is a image of the side and I read online a Bolers Buyers guide , very helpful!, and it shows pictures of a dimple behind the the wheel arch as indication of a broken frame. I cant really tell if that's the case on this trailer or not. Any input would awesome. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
contrast.jpg   boler side_dimple.jpg  

Old 02-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
The picture shows the Boler's body is in good shape.
You can find a lot of very useful information @ Boler.ca
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Sister's Bolar 73 had cracked frame at the triangle transition. I have read this is common.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:54 PM   #9

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBoler72 View Post
The picture shows the Boler's body is in good shape.
You can find a lot of very useful information @ Boler.ca
thank you. I looked through the boler.ca, very good information. I try to find out which model this one can be and the year. I am not sure what the plastic cap under the window on door side is. Can be the water inlet but I keep looking online and cant find a trailer with the same feature.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
If you are really concerned about getting it home safely, you might rent or borrow a car trailer to fetch it. Getting it loaded might require some creative thinking and a lot of patience, but it will give you time to address your concerns at your leisure.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:20 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
thank you. I looked through the boler.ca, very good information. I try to find out which model this one can be and the year. I am not sure what the plastic cap under the window on door side is. Can be the water inlet but I keep looking online and cant find a trailer with the same feature.
Looks like your fresh water tank fill.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
beesigner69

Reading your questions I have a couple of thoughts.

One, getting it home, and distance will make a difference in cost, flat bed towing might be something to think about. (tires, bearings, frame, lights and hitch).

Two, subdue any glorious dreams of owning and using a travel trailer and go with open eyes. You could/might be getting into a lot of rewarding work or headaches depending on your abilities and available time

About having no title, Same state will definitely help but make sure, not just talk, what's needed for the seller to legally sell it to you and what you need to properly own and register the trailer. this alone could be a deal breaker.

Don't pay for or move it until that's resolved, it's the seller's responsibility.

A recent post on one of the forums about a different state requiring the serial number to be in TWO places. It was on an older 1980's or 90's trailer. Casita has a metal tag on the frame and a sticker on the side and the plastic sticker was long gone. It worked out OK but the seller after providing proper proof to Casita they sent a replacement sticker.

My two cents
Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #13

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
beesigner69

Reading your questions I have a couple of thoughts.

One, getting it home, and distance will make a difference in cost, flat bed towing might be something to think about. (tires, bearings, frame, lights and hitch).

Two, subdue any glorious dreams of owning and using a travel trailer and go with open eyes. You could/might be getting into a lot of rewarding work or headaches depending on your abilities and available time

About having no title, Same state will definitely help but make sure, not just talk, what's needed for the seller to legally sell it to you and what you need to properly own and register the trailer. this alone could be a deal breaker.

Don't pay for or move it until that's resolved, it's the seller's responsibility.

A recent post on one of the forums about a different state requiring the serial number to be in TWO places. It was on an older 1980's or 90's trailer. Casita has a metal tag on the frame and a sticker on the side and the plastic sticker was long gone. It worked out OK but the seller after providing proper proof to Casita they sent a replacement sticker.

My two cents
Joe

Thanks Joe, much appreciated.
I am heading out this am to see it and hopefully get the trailer . Its a 3 hour drive and I most likely will pull it back if all works out. I hope I will be able to find any serial or indication of make and type of this trailer. researched a lot last night on what I see from the pictures. Water inlet under window on door side, tail lights being inside fiberglass housing and it very much looks like it doe snot have a flat roof. Might be a Boler American? but not certain. I see a plate above the water inlet on the door side of the trailer hopefully there is some info on it. Read all threads about vin - serial where to look for it on a boler or WISP etc.. really want to make sure I put as much info into the Bill of Sale as possible. But what would you do if you cant find any info on serial on the trailer? Just describe it as best as you can, guess the age , type and make and have seller sign for it?
Its an out of state purchase and kind of a gamble at this point.

I am not worried so much about the work itself. Have converted lots of vans back in Germany and as a trained carpenter and avid surfer that had to repair multiple boards I hope it will be fine. Lots of friend of different trades that can help with things like welding or electrical.. we shall see. Will keep y'all posted. Hopefully will be a fiberglass trailer owner soon
Old 02-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
I am heading out this am to see it and hopefully get the trailer . Its a 3 hour drive and I most likely will pull it back if all works out. I hope I will be able to find any serial or indication of make and type of this trailer. researched a lot last night on what I see from the pictures. Water inlet under window on door side, tail lights being inside fiberglass housing and it very much looks like it doe snot have a flat roof. Might be a Boler American? but not certain. I see a plate above the water inlet on the door side of the trailer hopefully there is some info on it. Read all threads about vin - serial where to look for it on a boler or WISP etc.. really want to make sure I put as much info into the Bill of Sale as possible. But what would you do if you cant find any info on serial on the trailer? Just describe it as best as you can, guess the age , type and make and have seller sign for it?

I am not worried so much about the work itself. Have converted lots of vans back in Germany and as a trained carpenter and avid surfer that had to repair multiple boards I hope it will be fine. Lots of friend of different trades that can help with things like welding or electrical.. we shall see. Will keep y'all posted. Hopefully will be a fiberglass trailer owner soon
I have purchased a lot of cars and trailers, with and without full documentation. There are ways to get a title issued as long as they can see that it is an honest transaction. Something this old and low on value is not going to presnt too big of a problem.
I live in Illannoy but my brother lived in Louisiana for 40years and did much the same without difficulty.
Even a bonded title is easy enough.
Just don't improve the trailer until you have a title (if required) in your hand.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Read all threads about vin - serial where to look for it on a boler or WISP etc.. really want to make sure I put as much info into the Bill of Sale as possible. But what would you do if you cant find any info on serial on the trailer? Just describe it as best as you can, guess the age , type and make and have seller sign for it?
sounds like your ready for a project so here's what I would do about the paper work.

First before leaving home call your DMV and ask them what's required from his state to transfer it to your state.

Once on site go with the seller to his state's DMV and get what your state requires.

I've read each state, yours, knows other states, his, paperwork is and it's painless IF you have the right paper.

don't forget you may need a temporary license to tow it home.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
sounds like your ready for a project so here's what I would do about the paper work.

First before leaving home call your DMV and ask them what's required from his state to transfer it to your state.

Once on site go with the seller to his state's DMV and get what your state requires.

I've read each state, yours, knows other states, his, paperwork is and it's painless IF you have the right paper.

don't forget you may need a temporary license to tow it home.
Not saying it is not ever needed, but I have bought more than two dozen fiberglass trailers, including a new one from the manufacturer and have never even seen a temporary transport permit for a small trailer.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Not saying it is not ever needed, but I have bought more than two dozen fiberglass trailers, including a new one from the manufacturer and have never even seen a temporary transport permit for a small trailer.
When I bought our trailer in Pa I was issued a temporary Pa tag and brought the trailer to Oh. Ohio requires tags period. Temporary tags are good for 30 days but originally they were good for only ten days.

But I know Ga at one time at least did not issue temp tags and nothing was required.

If an officer in a state that did was having a bad day or possibly slow month who know what he might do
Old 02-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
When I bought our trailer in Pa I was issued a temporary Pa tag and brought the trailer to Oh. Ohio requires tags period. Temporary tags are good for 30 days but originally they were good for only ten days.

But I know Ga at one time at least did not issue temp tags and nothing was required.

If an officer in a state that did was having a bad day or possibly slow month who know what he might do
I bought a trailer in PA, we had to go to the DMV and came out with an impressive stack of paperwork, none of which was a transport permit.
I do live in IllAnnoy, where buying from a private party allows time to visit the "DMV" ( something like thirty days after purchase)
I have never been stopped, heck some states don't even require license or registration under a certain size.
Buying from a dealer is a different story. Your not supposed to leave the lot without title and registration on order.

Tags
boler, tires