moving across country - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
moving across country

Hello everyone I own a tails west campster it is bare inside except for the stove, fridge, furnace and an empty water tank. There is not mattresses, or carpet on the walls. I plan on refurbishing this in the future but we are moving from California back to New Hampshire and I would like to know what should I do to prep the trailer and how much weight can I put inside of it to tow back to NH. It also does not have a battery inside. Thank you for any help. I hope to finish this off in NH and tank my grandson camping/fishing with it.
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong location I have not been on here enough to figure it out. Mark
AstroMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good tires, working lights and check/repack bearings for the road. The loaded weight depends on the TTs rating....leave the bagged concrete mix here .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There might be a sticker on the trailer with the GVWR and perhaps other useful information. All new trailers have one, but with a vintage trailer, of course, it may no longer be present.

In the absence of the sticker I’d hazard a guess the empty trailer weighs around 1100# and rides on a 2000# axle, giving around 800-1000# of cargo capacity. Load to maintain at least 12% tongue weight.

For carrying a heavy load, make sure your tires are at least load range C, less than 5 years old, and inflated to maximum sidewall pressure.

Check your vehicle manual regarding trailer brakes. I’m guessing the Campster doesn’t have them, and many vehicles and a few states (NY among them) require brakes over 1000#.

In addition to bearings and running lights, a few other things might be worth checking on such an old trailer: (1) coupler adjustment, (2) frame and axle, and (3) bolts holding the shell to the frame.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Does it have all of the original vertical walls? Those walls add siginficant structural strength to the trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania

I assume it has no brakes? If so, the tow vehicle has to stop it and whatever load you put in it. You might be ok if you fill it with lightweight/bulky stuff. If your tow vehicle is a one ton pickup, then fill er up.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #6

California
Thank you

Thanks folks the main things that will be in the trailer will be things like camping equipment. A few books, We are moving back to New Hampshire and this is a great little camper so I wish to take it with us. The original walls are all present, just the carpet is removed.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:23 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Your biggest concern will be Tires, wheel bearings and breaks if you have them.

If your in the New Hampshire area May 16-19 come up and see us at the Spring Fling in New England Rally held at Chocorua Camping Village, KOA, in Chocorua NH,
See thread under the heading of FORUMS, and sub heading RALLIES AND MEETS/
It's a great time and we would really like to meet you and your grandson/
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;739303]

Check your vehicle manual regarding trailer brakes. I’m guessing the Campster doesn’t have them, and many vehicles and a few states (NY among them) require brakes over 1000#.

We are in NY and fall under the 1000lb rule, although our Uhaul does not have brakes. The OP only has to be concerned with the regulations of the state that his trailer is registered in, not those of every state he may pass through.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #9

California
moving

If we decide to move back to NH it won't be until late July but thanks for the invitations. I will be checking the laws prior to us leaving and I have access to a vehicle scale at the local truck stop. Thanks for all the great answers. Mark
Old 04-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroMark View Post
If we decide to move back to NH it won't be until late July but thanks for the invitations. I will be checking the laws prior to us leaving and I have access to a vehicle scale at the local truck stop. Thanks for all the great answers. Mark
Next year for sure you can make it to the rally.
Safe trip.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
For an easy reference on towing weights here's a pretty good site and link.
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
I suggest you read the laws for each state you plan on passing through including the beginning and ending states. Read carefully some states laws are rather confusing.

Tags
trails west, vin