Burro bunk option - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: Burro
California
Burro bunk option

Hi I have a 1984 Burro 17ft, Im wondering about the forward bunk.
The bunk is missing on my trailer. Does anyone have an older 17 ft that can post some pictures? Looks like I will need to make it myself. I have a six year old and a eight yr old who will fight it out to sleep in the top bunk. I have a ledge all along the front, 3/4's up the wall. Does the bunk ride on this ledge with two down poles to lower bed? Has anyone made a bunk I could look at? Any help would be great.
erasmsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Bambi
Perfect Timing, Mine's missing ....

Giving this a bump to keep it visible.

I really hope someone replies to this one with some good pictures because I need the same info. Will have to build mine from scratch. Have the cushion but no ledge or any info on how it hangs or attaches.
Thanks, jd
Jane D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
This thread is the best resource I've found: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...aul-42458.html
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #4

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1982 13' Burro
New Jersey
Registry
13' ft.Burro Bunk

Thanks Andy! I have a 13' Burro that has a built in shelf in the front and a bunk is not possible! BUT...your design has given me an idea as to how to modify my dinette area to make it more comfortable when converted to a bed! I never thought of hinges!
Ana A in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Download the 1983 Burro "factory assembly manual" uploaded by member GreenFrog in the Document Center. Pages 18 thru 18b provide rough drawings of a front bunk setup relying on the molded-ledge plus vertical pipe supports.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Download the 1983 Burro "factory assembly manual" uploaded by member GreenFrog in the Document Center. Pages 18 thru 18b provide rough drawings of a front bunk setup relying on the molded-ledge plus vertical pipe supports.

jack
I've never seen that manual before. One word - funky.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #7

Delaware
Tom, I have an original owned or at least signed by R. H. Endicott, whom I assume to be [have been] a happy Burro owner. I do not have a Sac City to go with it. Paper is paper. Some people collect it, I accumulate it.

jack

PS: The idea of an "original" in this context is also funky as all copies were very likely photocopies of the quill pen and berry juice original.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #8

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1982 13' Burro
New Jersey
Registry
1983 Manual

Thanks Rabbit! What a great help. On another subject but related, where are some good places to find original parts or re manufactured parts for our wonderful little Burros? Does anyone have links to websites that they use?
Ana A in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana A in NJ View Post
.... What a great help. On another subject but related, where are some good places to find original parts or re manufactured parts for our wonderful little Burros?........
Not the Wabbit, but most parts except the molded fiberglass are from other manufacturers. If you need a part, post a query here or do a Google image search for the generic part and you will quickly see who made it and who still sells it.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #10

Delaware
To add to Tom's comments, a source of difficulty in refurbing an older trailer is that "they don't make em [and the stuff that went in them] like that anymore". You may find a vintage appliance, light fixture, or whatnot listed by a very few rv salvor/resellers on private internet sites or on eBay. For a utilitarian refurb, much of this stuff probably isn't worth the chance you take on condition or the price you pay for rarity (consider the Bargman L-400 lockset which is set in a custom molded recess in older Burro exterior doors and seen occasionally priced above 2C$.) You may have occasional success running on to someone who is parting out their trailer or replacing something in it that's still usable. An example would be sets or partial sets of cushions for specific trailers found with fair frequency in the for sale ads on this site.

Tom's choice of the word "generic" can't be overemphasized. There are plenty of 3-way fridges, range tops, electrical components and fixtures, windows, running lights, couplers, axles, water pumps and tanks, furnaces out there NIB. Some few will not have changed all that much in footprint or dimensions, method of installation from "earlier" models. Others will. You will need a good eye for specs and a tape measure to avoid "don't fit" surprises. You may also need the willingness to engage in "cut and fit" and the structural and cosmetic corrections necessary on either interior or exterior.

Specific to "sourcing" the upper bunk in the Burro, the "factory assembly manual" reveals that the materials and mechanisms necessary are not exotic or special purpose but the sort of thing available from your big box hardware/lumber seller (plywood, conduit, pipe, or plated closet rods, floor flanges or end hangers, butt hinges and locking mechanisms. If you can hammer, saw and make cushions, the world is your oyster!

jack
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #11

Delaware
There's a UHaul CT13 front bunk with "pipes" in the marketplace buy/sell/trade area today. Don't know if this will fit or easily adapt to a Burro. Also seller says expensive to ship. Worth a look maybe.

jack
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
There's a UHaul CT13 front bunk with "pipes" in the marketplace buy/sell/trade area today. Don't know if this will fit or easily adapt to a Burro. Also seller says expensive to ship. Worth a look maybe.

jack
It would probably be easier to just build a new bunk. It is just a piece of plywood and and 3 piano hinges.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #13

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I have an '82 burro and have removed the front bunk. It has the original fabric. I do not have the metal support pieces. When I got the burro it was attached by a heavy hinge to the wood shelf under the wind so it could swing up when needed as a bunk and down when needed as the bench back. I'm in SoCal. Contact me if you would like it. Free to a good home.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #14

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Thought I'd share some photos we took of the bunk parts for the Ventura we were using until we got a Trillium last year. The basic idea seems to be similar in these various FGRVs.

The plywood screwed onto a piece of wood in the front wall. In this case it has a bit cut out so it didn't overhang the kitchen counter. Two metal legs held it up and there was a safety guard.

As there are only two of us we took it right out and used some cushions for back rests when sitting on the couch. It only took hubby a few minutes to re-install it when we decided to sell that camper.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP6914_edited-1.jpg   IMGP6915_edited-1.jpg  

IMGP6916_edited-1.jpg   IMGP6917_edited-1.jpg  

Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:28 PM   #15

Name: Asra
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
This thread is the best resource I've found: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...aul-42458.html

Hi FB community! We just bought a 1982 Burro this weekend! The two items we need to make are 1) add electrical brakes as required by Suburu, 2) alter the current dinette to a bunk bed. The thread here is helpful, however, as us learning about our Burro, what are some recommendations for a bunk? We have a local Burro owner in Seattle giving away her bunk cushion. So we would need a hinge, poles maybe?
Thanks!
AsraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #16

Name: VABurro
Trailer: Burro
Virginia
This You Tube video shows a working bunk in the Burro. It should help identify the way the original system worked....past that there are photos of various ways people have added bunks in the Burro Facebook group.

VABurro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro