Repairing the holes inside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Name: Chloe
Trailer: '84Burro17'
Colorado
Registry
Repairing the holes inside

Any advice on the how to's of fiberglass repair? The interior of my 1984 Burro has many holes from a previous alteration prior to myself owning it.
Thanks!!!
Chloe
BurroBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A bit better description of the size and shape of the holes, as well as some pics would help get some answers.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

Name: Chloe
Trailer: '84Burro17'
Colorado
Registry
Thank you Bob- the holes vary from small screw holes to 3'' diameter holes
Attached Thumbnails
photo 2.jpg  
BurroBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Any holes you attempt to "Repair" with fiberglass product are going to lead to huge. messy repairs as well as a major painting project.

My usual approach is to "repurpose" the hole or hide it as something else. There are several sizes of round and square vents at the RV store that may help. You could always point out that they are vents for a stuffy closet etc. If the holes are real big, a set of speaker covers might also do the trick.

In spite of what others may chime in with, "invisible" (meaning it's as if it was never there) fiberglass repair on flat areas can be very difficult, messy and time consuming.

I only base this suggestion based on having been doing fiberglass repair since my first Corvette in 1964.

For the smaller holes, screws with button covers, as used all over the outside of Scamps, work well. And a square light woul d look fine on that square hole.

In repairing FGRV's, restoration as original doesn't really count that much, if at all.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
For filling in small screw hole I have used the JB Waterweld Epoxy putty. Just make sure you wipe off the excess before it drys. Its not overly noticeable and even less so if your planning on painting over it. If the hole is at eye level (in your face) I would consider just putting a cap on it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro