13 ' Burro window project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Burro
Alaska
13 ' Burro window project

Greetings from sunny (today at least) SE Alaska. I am the proud owner of a 1987 13' Burro trailer. It has been pretty good to me throughout the couple of years I've owned it but it's recently developed a leak in the back window. It is the original single piece of plexiglass. The general plan right now it to just take it out, clean the various pieces and put it all back together again. I'm moderately handy and have rolls of butyl tape at the ready but before I start I was wondering if there was any advice out there? Tips? Words of caution or wisdom? Thank you for your time. -JennyT. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428962623.730872.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	82582Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428962665.730167.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	82583

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Jenny T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would first try to figure out where the leak originates. This may be difficult as I found out trying to find the source of the front window leak in our Uhaul camper. I finally found a problem in the shell seam a few feet back above the window and a couple very fine cracks in the rubber that mounts the glass to the window frame. Removing the clamp ring on the inside helped to see where the water travelled from.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #3

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Burro
Alaska
Mary and Bob, thank you for the reply! I've tried slowly moving the hose around the window frame but I clearly haven't been able to figure out the source yet. I've been nervous to remove the clamp ring because one small leak is better than one window sized hole. I can remove that ring without compromising the rest of the seal? Thanks again and cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Jenny T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Funny how sometimes a window won't leak running a hose on it but it will when it rains. I doubt the window will fall out by removing the clamp ring. Our Uhaul window had some sealant that was so hard I didn't know if I could get it out. It's very hard to track the water back to the source because of the way it will travel. I finally used Proflex RV sealant that comes in a caulk tube to stop my leak. Used it on the shell seam, the rubber weatherstrip that holds the window in, and inside behind the clamp ring where there was a gap in the original caulk. I just didn't want to pull that window out, even though that may have been the best fix. Sometimes I like to go for the simple fix and "let sleeping dogs lay"
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro