Fitting Burro in 7' Garage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #1

Name: Connor
Trailer: scamp
California
Fitting Burro in 7' Garage

I have seen some posts about fitting a 13' scamp in a 7' garage but I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with a burro? I am looking into the best trailer options and fitting into the garage is a must.

Does anyone know the exterior height of burros?

Thanks in advance!
cburkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
13' Burro height

The height including the roof vent is approximately 7'6" to 7'8" in height
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #3

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
As I posted earlier today: an old US Army trick- let the air out of the tires to lower the vehicle height to get through low overpasses. Used it to get my Boler into the garage while storing it at home.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Look at the construction of your garage. Is it possible to raise the door opening?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #5

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Hi as Nicolas suggests, or buy used rims on the web or junk yard remove the tires.
you can buy small utility trailer wheels. 12" to 16" same bolt hole pattern
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
You can do it. Here is my 17' Boler. Of course I had to take the roof vents off and put on the twelve in wheels without tires [IMG]20191127_162014_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #7

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I had a garage with an 8' door, and I could roll my Burro right in. Very nice! Then i moved to a 7' garage door, and the only way I can get it inside is to reframe the door - raise the header 16" and have an extra panel installed on the garage door. Figured about $2400. That's over two years of my $90/month covered secure storage, and since I knew I'd be selling the burro within that time, i didn't do the remodel. What I'm replacing the Burro with would never fit garage anyway...
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #8

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
My first thought is to use/construct two 2 solid tire drop center dollies, and set the lowest part of the suspension or hub on the dollies for transition into the garage. This only works well on flush surfaces, not so well if an irregular surface.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #9

Name: Rodney
Trailer: Casita
Indiana
Registry
Fitting through a 7' door

I too would like to get my 16' Casita camper inside my garage with a 7' door and modifying my garage is not an option. I have been toying with the idea of making wheels, slightly larger than the diameter of the hubs, out of plywood. I have seen temporary plywood wheels used in hotrod restoration work and thought maybe I could adapt the concept.

I was thinking of using two layers of 3/4" plywood glued/screwed together then cut two 10" diameter wheels with the hub and bolt pattern drilled out. I expect I would need to countersink the lug holes to have enough threads exposed and use a washer under the lugnut. My plan would also use 2X8 boards for the camper to roll across as I pushed back into my garage, my driveway is loose gravel in front of my detached garage.

I am pretty confident it will work but I would really like someone else's thoughts.
Rodcop9405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Google and you will see others have had success with plywood "wheels". Whether they are currently active to respond to your question, I do not know. But google will find their prior postings.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #11

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodcop9405 View Post
I too would like to get my 16' Casita camper inside my garage with a 7' door and modifying my garage is not an option. I have been toying with the idea of making wheels, slightly larger than the diameter of the hubs, out of plywood. I have seen temporary plywood wheels used in hotrod restoration work and thought maybe I could adapt the concept.

I was thinking of using two layers of 3/4" plywood glued/screwed together then cut two 10" diameter wheels with the hub and bolt pattern drilled out. I expect I would need to countersink the lug holes to have enough threads exposed and use a washer under the lugnut. My plan would also use 2X8 boards for the camper to roll across as I pushed back into my garage, my driveway is loose gravel in front of my detached garage.

I am pretty confident it will work but I would really like someone else's thoughts.

I posted earlier that the NATO boys used to let sufficient air out of the tires of their trucks to get the trucks under overpasses in Europe in the 60’s. The same trick would work here plus give a better rolling surface if you have a gravel driveway.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #12

Indiana
Registry
Unfortunately, I need a little more space than the flattened tires will provide.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #13

Name: Philip
Louisiana
Rodney,
I have a 2018 16 foot Casita and fit it through a garage with a 6’11” opening. I had to do two things to get it to fit. First, I deleted the vent fan on the roof when I ordered it. Then I swapped out the road wheels/tires with 12” steel rims. You have to use a 1/4” thick spacer between the drum and rim because the rim will not totally clear the drum. With this set up, I have approximately 3/4” clearance on the top and bottom.

It appears from your avatar that you have the roof vent. Since ordering mine, I have seen that Maxxair now offers a low profile fan with a flat cover that reduces the height by a couple of inches. I believe, with a little jockeying, it might fit through the opening. However, since we really have not missed the fan, I have not gone through the trouble of installing one.

Hope this helps.

Philip
Old 05-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #14

Indiana
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg White View Post
Rodney,
I have a 2018 16 foot Casita and fit it through a garage with a 6’11” opening. I had to do two things to get it to fit. First, I deleted the vent fan on the roof when I ordered it. Then I swapped out the road wheels/tires with 12” steel rims. You have to use a 1/4” thick spacer between the drum and rim because the rim will not totally clear the drum. With this set up, I have approximately 3/4” clearance on the top and bottom.

It appears from your avatar that you have the roof vent. Since ordering mine, I have seen that Maxxair now offers a low profile fan with a flat cover that reduces the height by a couple of inches. I believe, with a little jockeying, it might fit through the opening. However, since we really have not missed the fan, I have not gone through the trouble of installing one.

Hope this helps.

Philip
Thank you for the info. The top half of our vent is easily removed and I can even remove the inter dome if necessary. I will do some more accurate measuring tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #15

Name: Philip
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodcop9405 View Post
Thank you for the info. The top half of our vent is easily removed and I can even remove the inter dome if necessary. I will do some more accurate measuring tomorrow.
Just looked closer at the picture in your avatar. Your unit appears to be older than mine. I don’t recall the year that Casita upgraded to the 3500 pound axle, which has 10” diameter brake drums. I believe the earlier axle had 7” or 7.5” diameter drums, which I recall allows the use of 10” steel garage rims.

Tags
burro