Escape Trailer Bunk Bed Light - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2006, 10:52 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I found that a Coleman Tent Light makes an excellent lower bunk light. Below is a link showing the light, their cost is $12.99. It uses 4 AA batteries.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=82717

The three upper bunk hinges are just the right size to hang the light. The light can be easily moved to either end or the middle of the bunk so it will work no matter where my kid sleeps. The oval shape fits very well in the space between the hinges and the aluminum bunk bed support assemblies. The stainless steel bunk support tubes are not magnetic enough to hang the light.

The pictures below show the left hand, upper bunk hinge with and without the light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0963.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	2374

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0964.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	2375
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There is a similarly shaped and mounted Coleman tent fan which would likely work in the same place if a little local breeze is desired. We use one in our Boler, magnetically clinging to the rear support brace for the kitchen. The fan is powered by one D-size battery, and runs for several hours on a charge (we NiMH rechargeables).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for the tip, it's a great idea. We put a curtain across the front of the trailer so it may get a bit stuffy up there.

I assume this is similar to yours, http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/...uct_id=830A350T

It says the fan blades are soft and pliable, would you expect any significant harm if a child put their fingers in the blade?

I would place it at the far end of the bunk bed, out of reach when they are laying down, but I am raising curious camp monkeys so I imagine they would like to touch it.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
That's exactly the one we have. We actually bought it for tent use, but never used it that way.

I had to test the safety of the fan blades, but it's hard to deliberately stick your finger in a moving fan! It stops immediately and without applying a harmful amount of force, but I certainly noticed it. I think that even a more sensitive kid would be fine, with just enough force to discourage doing that too much more.

Coleman lists this fan at $14, but I doubt that we paid that much.

By the way, I don't think it runs the claimed 16 hours on a charge of a NiMH D-cell, but it does go for hours, and I can believe it would make the 16 hours with an alkaline battery. We just carry a battery charger and charge as necessary for the various battery-operated things.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, light, lighting, tail lights