Escape Trailer Bunk Bed Window Cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Although I made these for my Escape, I assume they will work in other trailers.

I was concerned about the Venetian blinds at either end of the upper bunk, they are vulnerable to damage when down and make noise when brushed against. If the kids didn't bust up the blinds as they flopped around, they would wake up if the blinds rattled too much.

I made window covers out 3/8" foam board that I bought at a craft store. I cut a piece of brown paper bag to fit into the window sill and traced the contour of the curved sill onto the paper. I cut the paper as a template and trimmed two window covers to fit tightly into the sill. We will decorate the covers later; I wanted to try them out first and am pleased to report they work great. The fit tight and keep out noise and light.

We covered the exposed edges of the covers with duct tape to increase their damage tolerance. I then vertically cut the covers into two equal pieces and used three pieces of overlapping duct tape to tape then back together. This made a simple hinge that allows me to fold the covers and store them in an overhead storage compartment.

The pictures below show a cover folded for storage, open for installation, and installed.

Folded for storage

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0958.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	2376

Open for installation

Name:	IMG_0957.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	2377

Reverse side

Name:	IMG_0960.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	2378

Installed

Name:	IMG_0959.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2379

In use

Name:	Trent_in_Bunk_2.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	2380
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
That's a good idea for winter weather camping also.

We camp more in the winter than summer. Our local winter weather is mostly rain. The days are short, nights long. But it's plenty cozy in our Scamp. We read, play games or just visit. And we wipe windows. Perhaps this is the answer.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Great idea...should make sleeping a lot quieter for the entire family.

I followed a mod by Pete. Used backpacker foam cut to fit the front gravel guard and placed it between the window and the gravel guard. Its insulating properties sure cut down the moisture on the inside of the window when camping in cool weather.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape