Escape-Casita-Scamp Spreadsheet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Forum Admin, News & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Howdy,

While researching trailers I made a spreadsheet to compare the following optional and standard equipment and specifications. I think the information would be of interest to others and I'd like to post it, but I can't upload an Excel (.xls) file to the forum. Can I e-mail the file to you so you can decide if it is worth posting?

Window Over Sink
A/C
Counter Extension
Exterior Shower
Interior Shower
Bathroom Sink
Exterior 110V
Powered Fan
Gaucho Bunk
Range Cover
Sink Cover
Furnace
Dual Propane Tanks
Range Hood
Upgrade to DSI Heater
High Lift Axle
Awning
Door Location
Vinyl Floor
Porch Light
Refer Standard
Refer Option
Extra Internal Lights
Extra 12V Outlet
Extra 110V Outlet
Tires
Fresh Water Gallons
Grey Water Tank Gallons
Black Water Gallons
Fresh Water Tank Size Cubic Ft
Grey Water Tank Size Cubic Ft
Black WaterTank Size Cubic Ft
Overall Length
Overall Height
Overall Width
Body Length
Interior Length
Interior Height
Interior Width
Weight
Hitch Weight
Double Bed Size
Bunk Bed Size
Battery Charger
Power Cord
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Thanks for asking first so I don’t delete it.

Sure, I look forward to it.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If Mike thinks it's worth posting (and I look forward to seeing it), it is possible to save it as a PDF file. I can convert it (from .xls to PDF) if Mike doesn't have the software (Adobe Acrobat's PDF Writer, for instance) readily available. Mike's call...

This could set a more general precedent of how to share information which works best in the form of a table.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
if Mike doesn't have the software (Adobe Acrobat's PDF Writer, for instance) readily available. Mike's call...
You may be underestimating this old dog.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Howdy,

While researching trailers I made a spreadsheet to compare the following optional and standard equipment and specifications. I think the information would be of interest to others and I'd like to post it, but I can't upload an Excel (.xls) file to the forum. Can I e-mail the file to you so you can decide if it is worth posting?
Here you go. Brand Comparison Chart
Old 04-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #6

Quote:
You may be underestimating this old dog.
Not talking abilities here, just availability of software... and I'm sure that even if you didn't have anything on hand, you could dig up a workable converter - given the time!

In the end I see you went to HTML - and then got caught up in the maintainability of the information. I still look forward to a re-thought next attempt, if you decide to do that.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #7

I personally don’t like PDFs for websites. It’s great for transporting documents for printing, but not websites. HTML provides information for us to have our webpages cataloged by Search Engines. Also, PDF is slower to download and then requires a “Reader” (allbeit free) on the clients computer.

Yes, I have a Full professional version of Acrobat as well as many other options.

The issue with the Brand comparison chart is it was comparing apples and oranges in many cases. It seems everyone had an exception to point out.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
[The issue with the Brand comparison chart is it was comparing apples and oranges in many cases. It seems everyone had an exception to point out.
[/quote]

hi, as a complete computer illiterate may i suggest that pictures of each model would be great. i know there were some but i can't find them now. i know you guys had a problem with this website being trashed by some jerk.
i wonder what it would take to transfer pictures from ebay to here. i just saw a completed list of trailers (including a 1978 trillium with great pictures) and wondered how they could be "beamed up" to here. would it be worth it to check out ebay every week or so to get new ones as they are posted? or is this a really dumb idea?
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
[The issue with the Brand comparison chart is it was comparing apples and oranges in many cases. It seems everyone had an exception to point out.
hi, as a complete computer illiterate may i suggest that pictures of each model would be great. i know there were some but i can't find them now. i know you guys had a problem with this website being trashed by some jerk.
i wonder what it would take to transfer pictures from ebay to here. i just saw a completed list of trailers (including a 1978 trillium with great pictures) and wondered how they could be "beamed up" to here. would it be worth it to check out ebay every week or so to get new ones as they are posted? or is this a really dumb idea?
Way ahead of you. We have a very complete set of PHOTOS of ALL Fiberglass RVs linked from the top. Click on ALBUMS. They are listed by brands.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:46 AM   #10

Trailer:
Quote:
Way ahead of you. We have a very complete set of PHOTOS of ALL Fiberglass RVs linked from the top. Click on ALBUMS. They are listed by brands.
Mike,

As a permamenet newcomer (bein' a furriner, an' all) I'll say that the albums are comprehensive, but not that quick or easy to navigate. I could see a FGRV identification page that just had one photo of each brand (or is it model?), but that also identified similar trailers or look-alikes with different names, and brands for which there aren't any photos yet.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #11

I am just now starting the search for the right little trailer. The spreadsheet would be a great starting place, even if some of the information was not exactly perfect. I'm starting from nothing! Is there any way I can get a copy of it, before final revisions?

Karen F. Hxxxxx formerly from Oz (Australia)
Karen H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #12

I have an updated copy that I'll send you tomorrow.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #13
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
So, when you follow Mike's link (in his previous post, above) Brand Comparison Chart, you're taken to a screen where Mike suggests we start adding brand information to each trailer link off the home page list. He even calls for volunteers to compile info on "their" particular brand(s) of trailer.

I don't suppose we've had any takers?

Seems like a great idea!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Quote:
So, when you follow Mike's link (in his previous post, above) Brand Comparison Chart, you're taken to a screen where Mike suggests we start adding brand information to each trailer link off the home page list. He even calls for volunteers to compile info on "their" particular brand(s) of trailer.

I don't suppose we've had any takers?

Seems like a great idea!

I don't see where to add information.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #15
Administrator

Registry
It'll have to be sent to us (probably as email), so we can compile it and upload it, making the Brand name a hot link.

The finished product(s) will be similar to the Tutorials or Helpful-Links documents... (That section of the website has a different structure than the forums.)

Or, maybe we should post some kind of template, to get folks started? (Any ideas on what you would like for it to include?)

RV Life Network FAQ
Old 07-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think it's really important that the information only contain the stuff that would be stock from the factory. Modifications are all well and good but wouldn't be much help to someone who knows nothing about these trailers and is looking to make a purchase. In fact, if the information was skewed with modifications information a person would be greatly disappointed when they saw a stock trailer that was for sale.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #17
Administrator

Registry
Good point, Donna.

And, of course, Thane's original post in this thread has a long list of categories, that would be a good starting point for anybody wanting to compile specs on their favorite trailer...
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 07-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #18
Administrator

Registry
I would also like for information to include the year of the trailer being described.

Things change from year to year - a 1999 Casita is quite different from a 1989 Casita...
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 09-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #19

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Sorry to dig up this old thread. That said, I would love to have access to what used to be available - inaccuracies an all.

I'd love to help put together a Wiki type document where we could list this type of information and all the users could edit it.

Obviously best would be an integrated Wiki with FiberglassRV.com - such as something like IBP Wiki

The other option would be a stand along Wiki - I could even host one. If I host then it wouldn't have the user accounts integrated but could still be useful. We'd have to have a basic template for people to follow so that we could get some consistency and a clear way to identify year models and other variations.

What do you all think?
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #20

I think wiki functionality would be great for this purpose: collaborative production of web-based content is the definition of wiki operation, and exactly what we are trying to do in this comparison table, and some similar areas. It could also be used to build reference material, more easily extending the Tutorials which are already in FiberglassRV.

Integration with Invision PowerBoard would be good, for account management (requires the full version of the IpbWiki) and consistency of user interface.

Now my concerns:
  • I assume that the FiberglassRV administrator and moderators would want a moderated wiki (wikipedia is highly moderated) to keep content appropriate. This could mean substantial work for moderators if the tools for them are not well designed and easy to use; I have not used mediaWiki as an administrator, or any wiki in a moderated mode.
  • Some "wiki" products allow both threaded discussion (like a bulletin board or forum) and collaborative content creation (classic wiki functionality); Atlassian's Confluence is a good example, and IpbWiki supports it in some form as well. If the chosen wiki allows this, and even if it doesn't provide discussion support explicitly, some care would be required in configuration and administration to ensure that the wiki does not become a confusing alternate forum.
  • There are several free wiki products (including a version of IpbWiki), but a good wiki and the tools to integrate it will likely cost... for both initial purchase and for licensing renewals. Use of any software will incur infrastructure (server) costs.
  • The trailer specification comparison is an example of information which really needs table formatting for efficient management. IPB does not include tables, and while most wikis include them, the formatting can be very awkward. In a few minutes of reading from the provided IpbWiki link, I could find no reference to table formatting... suggesting it is at least not a strong feature.

Tags
casita, escape, scamp