Ford Escape as a Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Does anyone here tow with a Ford Escape? I have expanded my search for Tow Vehicles into the small SUV market as many of them have close to the same mileage as the Subaru Outbacks/Foresters.

Generally I try to avoid domestic cars but this one seems to have good ratings and with the low US dollar to Cdn Dollar it is substantially cheaper then the Toyota RAV 4 or Hyundai Santa Fe.

Thanks in Advance,
Booker
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I looked in a PDF copy of 2007 OM (downloadable from Ford, which I suggest doing). Looks like the 2.3L engine is only good for 1,500 lbs, but the 3.0L is good for 3,500 lbs. Might be more to it, of course, than just the engine (tranny, diff size and ratios, etc.).

Also, the following note was under the table "The Escape is capable of pulling the maximum trailer weight(s) as specified above. Certain states require electric trailer brakes for trailers
over a specified weight. The Escape vehicle electrical system is not equipped to accommodate electric trailer brakes."

Don't know if that's because they don't make a harness or because there's something strange with ABS or what. I highly recommend calling Tekonsha tech support and asking them about Escape and brake controller -- It's there livelihood to know and deal, if possible, with stuf like this, so I consider them the experts.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #3

Thanks Pete,

I would be looking at the 6 cylinder version - the 3500lb limit is one thing that drew me to it.

Booker

Quote:
I looked in a PDF copy of 2007 OM (downloadable from Ford, which I suggest doing). Looks like the 2.3L engine is only good for 1,500 lbs, but the 3.0L is good for 3,500 lbs. Might be more to it, of course, than just the engine (tranny, diff size and ratios, etc.).
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Does anyone here tow with a Ford Escape?
2008 XLT 3.0L V6, 4WD Factory Tow Package. No brakes on trailer, so no brake controller installed at this point.

There is a factory wiring harness for a four flat trailer connection, and no wiring provision for a brake controller, I had to run my own "power" line in order to plug the fridge in while driving.

After almost a year, I have nothing bad to say about the Escape, towing or not towing. Oh, and mileage numbers are what they have been advertised.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #5

I ran across the following in a downloaded 2007 Escape Owner's Manual:

"Base Curb Weight – is the weight of the vehicle including a full tank of
fuel and all standard equipment. It does not include passengers, cargo, or
optional equipment."

"The braking system of the tow vehicle is rated for operation at the
GVWR not GCWR."

IOW, Ford sez the brakes on the Escape were designed to stop the Escape, not the Escape plus trailer....
Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1300 1974
Quote:
Does anyone here tow with a Ford Escape? I have expanded my search for Tow Vehicles into the small SUV market as many of them have close to the same mileage as the Subaru Outbacks/Foresters.

Generally I try to avoid domestic cars but this one seems to have good ratings and with the low US dollar to Cdn Dollar it is substantially cheaper then the Toyota RAV 4 or Hyundai Santa Fe.

Thanks in Advance,
Booker
A. Robert Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I tow with a 2005 Escape. The one that has the larger tow capacity. I like how it tows behind my vehicle as I can see straight thru to the back, pulls well, and doesn't seem to change my gas mileage. Now I just have to wait and see how much wear and tear my vehicle gets after reading from one of the other posts reguarding stopping power think I might call and ask the dealer about that. Brandy

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #8

Here's a quote from a 2007 Escape Owner's Manual:

"The braking system of the tow vehicle is rated for operation at the
GVWR not GCWR."

BTW, there is a lot of information on how to use the transmission in the OM; I'd read it several times.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Thanks in Advance,
Booker

I tow a 13 Scamp deluxe [with a front bath and oak interior] with an Escape 2.3L 4CYL manual trans
I have added a class III hitch and a Prodigy electric brake controller along with the requisite wiring for lighting.
My Escape is IMHO a near perfect match for this application. And 24MPG @ 57MPH brings a smile to my face.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I favor rear wheel drive for towing. The weight is on the drive wheels and no CV joint problems. In that class I would look at a Suzuki or a Jeep Liberty. I have not had any experience with either.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape