Escape purchase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Joined this list about three days ago and ordered an Escape 17 the next day.

The hard part is going to be waiting two months for delivery.

The 1973 Starcraft tent trailer will go up for sale. I bought it about 20 years ago for $900 and although it's old, it's in better shape than me.

So, I'm looking forward to some comfort and warmth at night. The Old Bag ( my wife, Leslie ) is looking forward to the shower and not having to put up with me peeing in a coffee can.

I plan to do more fly fishing and she plans for us to travel ( the definition being, stopping and not just driving from point A to point B ).

The Old Bag, BTW, is six months older than me. She is the title for a column I used to write for an online fly fishing magazine ( that hasn't been updated since 2006 ). The column contains no useful information, but deals with camping and fly fishing ( not catching ). All the old issues are available in the archive if you want to read more about the Old Bag and the site has lots of info and links for fly fishers.

It is: ariverneversleeps.com

baglo
Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Glenn and to you and yours!!! We two are new Escape owners although our possesion was short lived...being only two weeks. We are second owners of an '07 5.0 5th. wheel Escape and what a beauty she is!!! We just returned from the Nations Capital and a week of living in "Our Escape Hatch" and I mean LIVING. Every where we took her all eyes were on HER. Comments of "Where was something like this when we were looking" and "We'd like to downsize into something like this" was all I heard. Your wait will be long but the pleasure will be longer!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Comments of "Where was something like this when we were looking" and "We'd like to downsize into something like this" was all I heard. Your wait will be long but the pleasure will be longer!!!
Yup. A friend was advising me that there will be a lot of ATVs, RVs and boats on the market with the rising price of gas and downturn in the economy. Which just makes the Escape that more desireable. When I can afford to, I'll downsize from the '94 Explorer to a Rav4 with the six cylinder. Until she's delivered, I've got a couple more trips in the old tent trailer planned, and I have to tear down the rickety carport which isn't high enough for the trailer.

I figure the only thing I'll miss it puttering around, fixing stuff.

baglo
Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #4

Registry
Hi: Glenn... Not having to fix stuff leaves more time to camp n stuff!!! There's always "The Learning Curve" to keep you occupied.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #5

That is exactly what we have. We pick up our Escape on July 15 and I can hardly wait.
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
That is exactly what we have. We pick up our Escape on July 15 and I can hardly wait.
Hi: Greg and a great big Which model and what options if any did you order...if you don't mind me asking.
Maybe we could start an owners group. How about "Escape Guys'n Gals" Club???
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
If I was your wife, Glenn, I'd have a real problem with being called "The Old Bag".

Quote:
The Old Bag ( my wife, Leslie ) is looking forward to the shower and not having to put up with me peeing in a coffee can.

I plan to do more fly fishing and she plans for us to travel ( the definition being, stopping and not just driving from point A to point B ).

The Old Bag, BTW, is six months older than me. She is the title for a column I used to write for an online fly fishing magazine ( that hasn't been updated since 2006 ). The column contains no useful information, but deals with camping and fly fishing ( not catching ). All the old issues are available in the archive if you want to read more about the Old Bag and the site has lots of info and links for fly fishers.

It is: ariverneversleeps.com

baglo
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
If I was your wife, Glenn, I'd have a real problem with being called "The Old Bag".
I'm struggling to understand this site so bear with me.

Anyway, as I said in the reply that apparently went nowhere:

Actually, my wife is quite proud of the name "the Old Bag". And, she is older than me and she calls me Baglo. Daughter calls me Glenn...

The Old Bag steers people to ariverneversleeps.com where she is referred to often in the, I hope, humerous columns I wrote on camping and fishing.

You would have to go to the archive on the site to find the one about taking the kid and her friend camping. I returned from fishing to find that they had packed the tent-trailer and wanted to go home. Her friend had just had her first period. You can imagine the rest, or read the column.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #9

Hello,

Ordered an Escape 17, towing with a Rav 4. We will sleep 3 nights around Chilliwack and then head for 7 weeks of camping down the Oregon coast and then back through the interior of Oregon to home. Leaving on July 13 to pick up the trailer and should be home around August 18. Should be a great adventure.

Quote:
Hi: Greg and a great big Which model and what options if any did you order...if you don't mind me asking.
Maybe we could start an owners group. How about "Escape Guys'n Gals" Club???
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
Glenn & the Old Bag

Congratulations on your decision. We have put in over 90 days on our 06 Escape Plan B over the past 1 1/2 years we have owned it. Love the shower, we managed 6 days boondocking without charging with the standard battery with a little care while in the Baja Mexico (No heater). You will find working with Reace and his crew an excellent experience.

We tow with an 04 Pathfinder Chinook and while a little hard on fuel (22-23 about town and 16-18 mpg on trips) compared to my former vehicle it has been an excellent road machine and tow vehicle. We looked at the new Rav, but it was too spendy.

Enjoyed your columns in "a river never sleeps", had planned to do more fly fishing but so far retired life gets in the way - perhaps next year. My son has just bought a new pontoon boat, perhaps that will get me back on the water.

Then again it might just be this late winter we are having here in BC.

Gerry & Verna
"The Escapists"
near Victoria
Gerry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #11

I'll pipe in.

After a generous offer to view Paul and Maureen Schmid's Escape 17 with my wife, and learning which options they chose and the rationale for each I ordered pretty much what they had.

The pee can is retired.

We went with plan B with the shower and toilet. They have two young kids and got the guacho bunk. We have one kid ( age 24 ) with a boy friend, so we don't have to worry about kids ( I hope ) and we passed on the bunk.

I went with a 5 cu. ft. fridge vs. 3 cu. ft. (more room for beer). It costs extra for the fridge and to change the cabinet above which is supposed to hold a microwave. We won't miss a microwave. Never had call to microwave beer.

Paul had a front hatch installed to access the underseat storage. I got that. Got the high-lift axle and 15 inch tires. Got the electric fan and tinted windows.

Got the 3 burner stove, but, I'm not sure why since we'll mainly cook outside, weather permitting.

I went with the dual propane and cross-over ( Paul didn't ). I have propane tanks to spare so Escape gave me a $40 credit on that item. Got the front rock guards.

After discussion with Maureen, I added the exterior shower to the interior shower package. Handy for dogs or a quick rinse after a swim in the ocean ( something you will never catch me doing ). Saves on gray water too.

It was terrific getting to view their rig without any sales pressure ( although, I have to say, my experience with Escape at the RV show indicates there is no pressure sales there either).

baglo
Old 06-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #12

Registry
Hi: "Got the three burner stove". The 3rd. burner is for Shrimp boiled in Beer!!! When they float their done!!!

Tags
escape