Ford Escape or Suburu Outback? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via AIM to Paul Kaplan Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Kaplan
I'm considering buying a new tow vehicle for my 13' scamp. Debating on the Suburu Outback or the 6 cly Ford escape? (mostly considering the escape because of the 0% financing for 6 years) Any suggestions/recommendations?
Paul Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
You could check this post about the Outback.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=277316

I am partial to the 2008 Escape V6 4WD with tow package as we have been towing with it for 1 year now, has been wonderful.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
You could check this post about the Outback.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=277316

I am partial to the 2008 Escape V6 4WD with tow package as we have been towing with it for 1 year now, has been wonderful.

Was just wondering about driving cross country in the Suburu and having difficulty getting it repaired due to lack of dealers.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Was just wondering about driving cross country in the Suburu and having difficulty getting it repaired due to lack of dealers.
I'm biased because I tow with a Subaru Forester. I broke down an hour out of Mandan, ND on a Friday afternoon. The dealer in Mandan had me on the road before 10:30 Saturday morning. My Forester had approx. 300,000 km on it at the time, and was the first break-down I had. I'd check out the resale values and calculate total cost of ownership before I bought anything. My 98 Forester pulled my 14 ft. Surfside down the west coast and up to Crater Lake with no difficulties.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I tow with the Ford Escape....love love love my Escape, I have not driven the other car but my heated seats and sunroof keep me in this one. Very happy with the way it tows my scamp, with no cover over my Scamp while I am hooked up I can see all the way straight thru and seeing around traffic is not as difficult as I imagined. I have been out the last three weeks on quick one night trips an its a breeze. Mine is the limited 2005

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
We really like out Outback for towing the 13' Scamp. We checked out the Escape, Subaru, and a couple of others before buying. My wife didn't like the way Escape felt, so that pretty much ruled it out. The Outback feels larger, but you'd have to check the numbers to be sure, especially internal volume with the rear seats down. I know it certainly makes a good tow car, and while it's not high enough to see through the trailer (I leave the window cover on, anyway) the counter to that is sits lower and feels more stabile. It all comes down to personal preference, like everything else. I'm sure you'll getting supporting comments from both sides.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
We have a 1992 Subaru Legacy wagon with 330,000 km and we tow with a Ford V6 (which has been fine). As as for the Subaru and repairs, I wouldn't worry about it. You likely won't need any repairs until long after you tire of the look of the vehicle. And when the car is worn out, the engine will still be in hot demand by Ulralight plane enthusiasts who love the engines because they run forever. To me the choice is a no-brainer.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
We currently have both an 2000 Ford Ranger (120K miles, bought used for our 5th wheel and in questionable condition) and a 2000 Hyundai Santa Fe (90K miles, bought new long before we bought our Surfside and in great shape). We're hoping to squeeze another few years out of both of them in the hope that better, more fuel-efficient TVs become available in two or three years.

As far as the Santa Fe is concerned, any of the V6 Santa Fe model years should easily handle a 13' trailer, but you'd have to be more careful choosing your TV if you buy a larger trailer.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
We really like out Outback for towing the 13' Scamp. We checked out the Escape, Subaru, and a couple of others before buying. My wife didn't like the way Escape felt, so that pretty much ruled it out. The Outback feels larger, but you'd have to check the numbers to be sure, especially internal volume with the rear seats down. I know it certainly makes a good tow car, and while it's not high enough to see through the trailer (I leave the window cover on, anyway) the counter to that is sits lower and feels more stabile. It all comes down to personal preference, like everything else. I'm sure you'll getting supporting comments from both sides.

Parker
Did you get the factory installed hitch? Also, do you have electronic brakes on the TT and a transmission cooler? Im leaning more towards the Subaru for the higher gas mileage.
Thanks!
Paul
Old 07-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Did you get the factory installed hitch? Also, do you have electronic brakes on the TT and a transmission cooler? Im leaning more towards the Subaru for the higher gas mileage.
Thanks!
Paul
We did get the factory installed hitch, which came with the factory four-wire lighting hook-up. Over the winter, I added brakes to the Scamp, so I added additional power wires to operate the brakes and to power the trailer systems while towing. I made up a four-wire plug to connect to the Subaru harness in the spare tire well where I also brought together the additional power wires. All this got wrapped together with the traditional friction tape and exited the bottom of the spare tire well to connect to a standard seven-pin outlet. I posted a lot of the details of the wiring on here a few months ago. It was a bit tedious, especially getting to the brake signal wire under the dash, but otherwise straightforward. Subaru was kind enough to put an access hole in the firewall with a rubber plug in it, so I routed the two power wires to the battery through it, connected through separate circuit breakers at the battery. All the wiring is internal to the passenger compartment until exiting the spare tire well as described. I looked at running the wires under the car, but it's just to clean to attach things to without worry of something snagging them. It wasn't too hard to run the wires through the plastic trim along the side of the interior. Good luck with your choice!

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape