U-haul Wheel Bearings Fix question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Name: Becky & Dave
Trailer: U haul '82 CT13 & Casita 17' Deluxe
Oregon
U-haul Wheel Bearings Fix question

Has anyone ever tried installing a grease Zerk fitting on the sealed hub? I thought this might be a way to grease bearings from outside instead of buying a new hub.

Dave
Old 08-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Becky, can't answer your question... but I think you could use this info: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - U-Haul
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
can't be done, I bought two new hubs from uhaul, haven't replaced the ones on the trailer but carry one attached to the spare tire. If you can feel any play or roughness when spinning a wheel with the trailer jacked up I would replace the hub. To check them on big trucks required a special tool setup using special reflective tape and a sensor.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bob is right. I'd just buy a spare hub and carry it. Available at any auto parts- ask for front hub for 93 to 2002 Camaro.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Do.it.now! Get that extra hub! They are on ebay.

We had a bad hub on our Uhaul VT. Happily, hubby saw the cock-eyed wheel (I was driving and did not feel anything.) when we stopped for lunch. Through a series of events outlined elsewhere here, we found an old Uhaul repair dealership who just happened to have two hubs that fit, so we could continue our vacation.

Do not be left out in Wyoming with a faulty hub. The guy in Cheyenne has no more camper hubs.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #6

Name: BONITA
Trailer: '85 u haul camper
VA
have 85 uhaul and bought new wheel and is 4.5 inch lug pattern according to chevy garage says the chevy camaro is 4.75 inch lug pattern, did you change wheels on yours so you can use Camaro hub. Bonnie
Bonnie White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I will have to let others respond. We used original equipment and were fortunate enough to find a Uhaul dealership with hubs that we could use.

CindyL
Old 04-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie White View Post
have 85 uhaul and bought new wheel and is 4.5 inch lug pattern according to chevy garage says the chevy camaro is 4.75 inch lug pattern, did you change wheels on yours so you can use Camaro hub. Bonnie
GM X-Body (Citation)rear hubs, Cross the numbers with your parts store.
I understand that is the ticket
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #9

Name: BONITA
Trailer: '85 u haul camper
VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
GM X-Body (Citation)rear hubs, Cross the numbers with your parts store.
I understand that is the ticket
Thanks for the reply
Bonnie White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #10

New York
Uhaul hubs can be replaced with a GM hub that is 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I can't remember if it is a Camaro or maybe a Lumina. Note that original Uhaul wheels have a offset that is not the same as the GM wheels so there may be clearance issues. If you bought a wheel to use as a spare, or to replace an original, you could have bought an original on eBay. That is, original offset and bolt pattern but the original hubcaps won't fit if you are lucky enough to have them. If you go on eBay and enter Uhaul 23516006 in the search you will find the replacement wheel. If you want one order it now as they sell out and are not always available
Old 04-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #11

New York
I have two new replacement hubs that I bought from Uhaul I would like to sell, but won't ship them because of the weight. We sold our Uhaul last year, have sold almost all my spare parts except one door striker and one new side window.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I have two new replacement hubs that I bought from Uhaul I would like to sell, but won't ship them because of the weight. We sold our Uhaul last year, have sold almost all my spare parts except one door striker and one new side window.
I would be interested in any hubs or replacement parts for my 84 13ft Uhaul I recently purchased. She is all original. Live in Florida thank u Mike
mmHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #13

New York
There is a GM hub that is identical except it has the ABS speed sensor on it. That is what Uhaul was selling when I bought mine. There has only been one or two known hub failures in the Uhaul Facebook group. Lots of good info there including parts sources. I'm not shipping any parts at this time. I only have a door striker and one new old stock window. I've sold all my other parts.

Tags
u-haul