Oliver External Care - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #1

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Oliver External Care

Just curious, for those who have owned an Oliver for a few years, how difficult is it to maintain the gloss finish? Will it still look shiny, say in ten years if well maintained?

Thanks for info!

Dwain
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
hit it once or twice a year with a marine cleaner/wax such as Meguiars #50(?), and it will gleam on...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #3

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Thanks!
Dwainkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
We use Mothers with good results on our 2015 LE2.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2125.jpg  
CamperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Oliver External Care

Check out a thread titled: “Treatment of Slightly Oxidized Fiberglass”. There are several posts addressing preferred products. The consensus favors the Maguire line of fiberglass products. However, I went to West Marine for advice, and the staff told me that 3M was just as good. This thread also describes the 3 step process involved in deoxidizing & polishing the fiberglass outer shell. Because you have a new trailer, the Maguire 3-step kit will work very well for you. I add a 4th step and use a finishing polish to bring out a shine.

In answer to your question, in 10years, your Oliver’s fiberglass exterior should look just like new “if well maintained”. Let me be the first to suggest, “if well maintained.” requires a fair amount of discipline, elbow grease & consistency.

The first thing you need to do is keep your Oliver out of direct sunlight when you are not camping. To do this, you need a secure structure to park it under, or a canvas cover. If you use a canvas cover, make sure the fiberglass skin is clean and dry. Otherwise, the dirt on the fiberglass will rub against the cover and the scratch the gel coat.

Even if you don’t use a canvas cover, you should wash your camper upon returning home from camping trips. I use 22 Mule Team Borax mixed with a pale of water.

Every 6-8 months, you should de oxidize and polish your trailer. As rainy season approaches it’s also a good idea to spray the fiberglass with a moss protective product. Be sure to spray all the nooks & crannies.

Life is short, and for a price you can find someone who works with fiberglass boats or trailers to do the grunt work and climb up ladders tall enough to work on your roof.

If you can do all that, you’ll have a lasting gel coat.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

Mid Left Coast
yes, the 3M boat finish products are excellent. the whole 9 yards for a seriously oxidized trailer would be to use their heavy cut cleaner, followed by the medium cut cleaner-wax followed by their polish-wax. use an orbital buffer, with a 'fluff' pad for the heavy cut, and terrycloth pads for the other two (new clean pad for each compound). quick rinse/wash between each compound to remove the residual abrasives before moving to the finer steps...
Old 08-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #7

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit lax on exterior maintenance. But the most affective way I've found to keep the oxidation down is to park it in the garage. When I wash it off, it shines like new with no fading. This helps the decals and the tires too. It also eliminates the need for winterizing and provides a handy plug to keep the batteries charged and the lights working. It makes it handy for spur-of-the-moment movie nights or to make upgrades.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
It's not a trailer brand issue. It's all about the gelcoat on fiberglass. I rely on the advice of my brother-in-law who collects classic Corvette Cars and prepares them for auto shows.

No wax, just Rejex polymer coating. Surface winds up incredibly slick so bugs wash off with a hose. Have never waxed my 21 and bugs still don't stick.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
I use Rejexx once a year and wash it after trips. We’re out about half the year. Still shines like new after 3 years. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #10

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
It's not a trailer brand issue. It's all about the gelcoat on fiberglass. I rely on the advice of my brother-in-law who collects classic Corvette Cars and prepares them for auto shows.

No wax, just Rejex polymer coating. Surface winds up incredibly slick so bugs wash off with a hose. Have never waxed my 21 and bugs still don't stick.
if the surface is oxidized, do you first buff it out with a paint cleaner product, before applying this?

Tags
oliver