Swapping refrigerator space for a pantry - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Swapping refrigerator space for a pantry

Never use my 110v only refrigerator as I always camp w/o a hook-up.
I have a great cooler, with added foam lining that keeps ice for 5-6 days and it stays under the front couch.
Refrigerator is only used as a pantry.
I think I’ll remove it, easy, put it aside and make a cabinet with sliding shelves for food storage.
Anyone done this and have some ideas on construction.
I’m also looking at those wire basket drawers from IKEA that come with a metal frame and that might work as well.
Anybody with some pictures?
ThAnks,
Larry
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Cabinet with sliding shelves. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burroman View Post
Never use my 110v only refrigerator as I always camp w/o a hook-up.
I have a great cooler, with added foam lining that keeps ice for 5-6 days and it stays under the front couch.
Refrigerator is only used as a pantry.
I think I’ll remove it, easy, put it aside and make a cabinet with sliding shelves for food storage.
Anyone done this and have some ideas on construction.
I’m also looking at those wire basket drawers from IKEA that come with a metal frame and that might work as well.
Anybody with some pictures?
ThAnks,
Larry

I think it is a good idea; Julie and I did it on our '93 Scamp , but no photos as the scamp is in Fresno, we are in Sonora now. ( More cement for parking at the old Fresno house ) . We had an Ice Box, much less efficient than a Cooler. We removed it,had a friend build a cabinet with one big shelf that pulls all the way out, plus the bottom. (shelf) The ice box makes a poor storage box because it looses so much space to insulation, and the small door is not good. Only problem is making sure the new shelf cabinet is hooked into the cabinet correctly. And vibration on the road, always a Scamp or fiberglas problem, causes screws to back out and become loose. David in Fresno and Sonora.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:49 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
my last trip out west from sc the fridge failed yet again. the thing was working great (on gas) when i left home and about the time i arrived in texas no more cold. rather than waste more time trying to fix it i moved all the perishables to the cooler which lives in the truck's bed. then i started using the non functional fridge as a bread box. worked great for the remaining couple of months on the road. since then i've replaced that fridge with a 12v/120vac unit that works great and my 2 100w solar panels keep the batteries charged while driving. then i replaced the coleman cooler with a gosun solar powered cooer which is amazing. the solar panels still keeps those batteries charged.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #4

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I turned my clothes closet ( by the entry door ) into a pantry. Put shelves in. removed clothes bar at the top.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, refrigerator