F150 - Curious - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #21

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Are there multiple variations of the 2.7 liter EB engines used in the Ford F150
I have ridden / driven several newer Ford F150s , the 3.5 liter EB was quite impressive but the 2.7 liter EB was not . The 2.7 EB was comparable to the 2.0 liter turbo in my wife’s Equinox, the power / torque just aren’t there IMHO .

** I am not overly impressed with the power / torque of my 5.7 liter Hemi V8 **
2.7 in my 2016 puts out 325hp and 375 footlbs to. The new ones put out 400 footlb of tq, just as much as the 5 liter V8 and they make the power at lower rpm. When towing the motor rarely exceeds 3000 rpm. Pulling out of a rest stop hauling my 5.0TA I'm usually hitting the speed limit before I even get to top of ramp. I set the cruise control at whatever the speed limit is and forget it. If I'm not towing and the wife's not with me I put it in sport mode and its really fun to drive. As to.your truck, what's your axle ratio that can make a big difference in how a vehicle performs. Never drove an equinox so can't make any comparison. I've been a gearhead all my life and I'm amazed at the power the 2.7 puts out and without turning a lot of rpms.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #22

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
I have ridden / driven several newer Ford F150s , the 3.5 liter EB was quite impressive but the 2.7 liter EB was not . The 2.7 EB was comparable to the 2.0 liter turbo in my wife’s Equinox, the power / torque just aren’t there IMHO .

My 2018 2.7 eb has 325 hp and 400 ft.lb of torque. It feels like plenty, but it may require premium fuel to hit those numbers.

That’s about 20% less hp but the same torque as your Hemi.

They say the aluminum body and smaller engine lighter on the Fords, but I don’t know how much of a difference that makes to what you feel driving them.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #23

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
2.7 in my 2016 puts out 325hp and 375 footlbs to. The new ones put out 400 footlb of tq, just as much as the 5 liter V8 and they make the power at lower rpm. When towing the motor rarely exceeds 3000 rpm. Pulling out of a rest stop hauling my 5.0TA I'm usually hitting the speed limit before I even get to top of ramp. I set the cruise control at whatever the speed limit is and forget it. If I'm not towing and the wife's not with me I put it in sport mode and its really fun to drive. As to.your truck, what's your axle ratio that can make a big difference in how a vehicle performs. Never drove an equinox so can't make any comparison. I've been a gearhead all my life and I'm amazed at the power the 2.7 puts out and without turning a lot of rpms.
I forgot about the fact that the turbos have tons of torque at lower rpms. Paired with the ten speed tranny it is smooth as silk.

ETA I like my 2.7 for towing my scamp 19, but we just bought an aluminum trailer that makes me think about getting a 3.5, but not a v8.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #24

Connecticut
Quote:

Just looked up the specs on the 5.7 hemi, it makes power much the same as fords 5 liter V8. My 2.7 makes as much or almost as much torque as your truck and does so at a lower rpm. The newer version puts out even more torque and with the 10 speed transmission 🤔 you might be surprised.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
Just looked up the specs on the 5.7 hemi, it makes power much the same as fords 5 liter V8. My 2.7 makes as much or almost as much torque as your truck and does so at a lower rpm. The newer version puts out even more torque and with the 10 speed transmission �� you might be surprised.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion . I respect yours and stand by mine .
The best tow vehicle in my estimation has a 6.7 liter Cummins turbo diesel engine. That engine has power / torque and is a towing machine
If your satisfied with your 2.7 EB that’s all that matters .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #26

Connecticut
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion . I respect yours and stand by mine .
The best tow vehicle in my estimation has a 6.7 liter Cummins turbo diesel engine. That engine has power / torque and is a towing machine
If your satisfied with your 2.7 EB that’s all that matters .
�� don’t know if it’s the best, it certainly is a very capable motor but massive overkill for an Escape of any size. From my viewpoint if you need 1000 foot lbs Of torque you can’t beat a diesel. But I’m not towing 50,000 lbs, just 5000 lbs. So far I’ve towed my 5.0 TA anywhere I want to go, done It easily and fairly economically. The truck is a decent everyday driver. I wanted the 2.7 because I thought the 3.5 EB was more than I needed and I couldn’t be happier with my choice. I’m sure a Ram 2500 with a 6.7 Cummins could tow my 5.0TA just not sure if it could do it any better than my 2.7 F150. �� did read that motor had a life expectancy of around 400k so that might be an advantage, of course the rest of the truck probably won’t and at 70 years old I’d never be around long enough to see it if it did.
Not trying to change anyone’s mind here just my rationale ��
Old 07-16-2020, 10:35 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoulton View Post
Hello

This is a hypothetical question that one day, will hopefully, turn into reality. If I was to tow the not yet release Ecsape 23 with a Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 what is the best engine for gas mileage when towing and gear ratio for towing. Also what options such as trailer brake control, hill decent etc do you recommend.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Michael
We tow an Escape 21 with the 5.7 in a Jeep GC Overland rated for towing 7,400 lbs. It has averaged just about 13 mpg while towing. The naturally aspirated engine doesn't have the magic of the EcoBoost, nor a flat torque curve, but it meets our needs. It generally stays at about 2,100 rpm at 60 mph. It occasionally shifts down on highway grades and generally stays under 3K. I find it satisfactory, but I don't know if it serves as any sort of analogue for anything that Ford offers.

The point I would like to share here is that dry weights don't include any options and likewise the published 360 lb tongue weight on the Escape 21 is about unobtainable. The tongue weight readily climbs to well over 500 lbs as there is forward storage under the bed and also storage in the tongue box. Ours was 480 lbs coming home last week; that's about as light as I've managed to accomplish. The last time we hit the scales on a trip we were at about 4,600 lbs loaded, and the tongue weight was well north of 500. The weight as delivered was well above the published figure due to the number of options we selected. As a point of interest, Escape based our delivered weight on the component weight of each option added to a recorded dry weight from a prototype, not by weighing our finished trailer.

The 23 is a new design so it remains to be seen if they nail the balance, or if it ends up tongue-heavy or tongue-light as various manufacturer's different models have been through the years. In other words, you would do well to plan tentatively around the GVWR and a tongue weight of 15%.

I would personally hang back and see what folks report here, and especially on the Escape forum, before buying either a trailer or a tow vehicle. From there, I would then make the purchases based on known numbers, not estimates.

Oh, and you want to find a tow vehicle with an actual full-sized spare tire. They are getting to be a rare thing anymore.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:38 AM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I’ve had 3 F-150s with EBs, a 2012 with 3.5, a 2015 with 2.7 (both 6 speeds) and a 2020 with 3.5 and 10 speed. All were purchased primarily for towing, and in 2012 the 3.5 was the only EB, 2.7 had not yet made its appearance. I could not get the color or the options I wanted on the 2012 quickly but I needed a truck immediately, so I settled for what was immediately available. The 3.5 was a beast. If I hit the accelerator while towing, it sped up in an instant and inertia would “pin” me back in the seat, even going uphill. In 2015, I decided to get the color and options I wanted, and hoped that I would get better towing mileage with the 2.7 liter and the lighter weight aluminum body. I didn’t really, I picked up 1 or 2 tenths MPG towing. While it still would accelerate towing uphill, it didn’t have the oomph that the 3.5 had, and the transmission temperature with the 2.7 climbed higher and faster on long uphill grades than the 3.5 liter. In 2019, when EMP from a nearby lightning strike fried the 2015s electronics and I had intermittent starting and other problems, it was in and out of the shop several times over 4 months and the dealer’s service technicians could not figure out what was wrong. I finally ordered a new F-150, but I went back to 3.5, towing mileage be damned. Haven’t towed yet (due to COVID-19), but I’m hoping that the lighter weight of the aluminum and the 10 speed will make up the 1 or 2 tenths I gained when going from the 2012 3.5 to the 2015 2.7 liter. I just prefer the “rocket-like” performance of the 3.5, although the 2.7 was more than adequate.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #29

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I’ve had 3 F-150s with EBs, a 2012 with 3.5, a 2015 with 2.7 (both 6 speeds) and a 2020 with 3.5 and 10 speed. All were purchased primarily for towing, and in 2012 the 3.5 was the only EB, 2.7 had not yet made its appearance. I could not get the color or the options I wanted on the 2012 quickly but I needed a truck immediately, so I settled for what was immediately available. The 3.5 was a beast. If I hit the accelerator while towing, it sped up in an instant and inertia would “pin” me back in the seat, even going uphill. In 2015, I decided to get the color and options I wanted, and hoped that I would get better towing mileage with the 2.7 liter and the lighter weight aluminum body. I didn’t really, I picked up 1 or 2 tenths MPG towing. While it still would accelerate towing uphill, it didn’t have the oomph that the 3.5 had, and the transmission temperature with the 2.7 climbed higher and faster on long uphill grades than the 3.5 liter. In 2019, when EMP from a nearby lightning strike fried the 2015s electronics and I had intermittent starting and other problems, it was in and out of the shop several times over 4 months and the dealer’s service technicians could not figure out what was wrong. I finally ordered a new F-150, but I went back to 3.5, towing mileage be damned. Haven’t towed yet (due to COVID-19), but I’m hoping that the lighter weight of the aluminum and the 10 speed will make up the 1 or 2 tenths I gained when going from the 2012 3.5 to the 2015 2.7 liter. I just prefer the “rocket-like” performance of the 3.5, although the 2.7 was more than adequate.
I have a 2019 Max tow Max haul 3.5 Eco with 10 speed. I think you will find that the 10spd is the cream on the top. It is beyond great.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #30

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I have a 2019 Max tow Max haul 3.5 Eco with 10 speed. I think you will find that the 10spd is the cream on the top. It is beyond great.
I’ve got a couple thousand on it, and it shifts strangely, skipping gears at times although it does so smoothly. I’m really curious about towing mileage. Also interesting is that my 2012 had two shifting profiles, normal & tow/haul. The 2015 added Sport. The 2020 adds Eco and Rain/Snow to the mix. Funny, in February I had a rally to attend but no tow vehicle. Now I have a functioning tow vehicle but no destination.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #31

Massachusetts
Quote:
I’ve got a couple thousand on it, and it shifts strangely, skipping gears at times although it does so smoothly. I’m really curious about towing mileage. Also interesting is that my 2012 had two shifting profiles, normal & tow/haul. The 2015 added Sport. The 2020 adds Eco and Rain/Snow to the mix. Funny, in February I had a rally to attend but no tow vehicle. Now I have a functioning tow vehicle but no destination.
Yeah if you are just driving around you don't need 10 speeds so it skips some. When you are towing though it won't skip any unless maybe you are going downhill. Tow haul mode locks out 10th gear and I believe you can lock out more with the plus minus switch on the selector

I didn't feel any engine braking on hills with my light trailer at all or the BigFoot until I got into some grades in Ohio and Pennsylvania. It does it by itself when it is needed.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a 2019 lariat 3.5 eco boost which I really wanted again. It’s rated at over 10k towing. Includes controller and big tank
My 2011 lariat eco boost had the HD tow package It was rated at 11.7k tons
I intentionally did not include the HD towing On my 2019because while I loved/miss the big mirrors, they were just too big for parking lots etc.
My 2019 also has a better gear ratio for regular driving Which should help mileage .
It think my 2011 had a tranny cooler also
I had read but can’t verify the HD package lengthens the turning radius Think that may be true
I have a 13 foot trillium (1500 lbs) and a 27 foot with slide (about 6k lbs)
I just felt If I don’t need all that towing capacity I’d be happier with a more “regular “ truck and I am
I miss the mirrors but can fix that. The big tank is just awesome.
Mitch Drackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #33

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Drackett View Post
I have a 2019 lariat eco boost. It’s rated at over 10k towing. Includes controller and big tank
My 2011 lariat eco boost had the HD tow package It was rated at 11.7k tons
I intentionally did not include the HD towing On my 2019because while I loved/miss the big mirrors, they were just too big for parking lots etc.
My 2019 also has a better gear ratio for regular driving Which should help mileage .
It think my 2011 had a tranny cooler also
I had read but can’t verify the HD package lengthens the turning radius Think that may be true
I have a 13 foot trillium (1500 lbs) and a 27 foot with slide (about 6k lbs)
I just felt If I don’t need all that towing capacity I’d be happier with a more “regular “ truck and I am
I miss the mirrors but can fix that. The big tank is just awesome.
That is probably 11,700 pounds not tons. When I upgraded from a 2016 to a 2019 I got the Towing mirrors and was scared to drive on narrow roads . I don't even think about it now. The turning radius is a function of your wheelbase
Old 07-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #34

Quote:
I have about 15k miles on my 2019. It has eco and rain/snow also. I forgot about the options until yesterday. I flipped it to eco 100 mikes into a 200 mile trip and seemed to get 1mpg better.
I also only use tow mode in hilly. It keeps me in a low gear and in my mind. I usually use regular mode when towing because I’d rather go to 10th. theoretically it should be better mileage. Can’t verify that.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
That is probably 11,700 pounds not tons. When I upgraded from a 2016 to a 2019 I got the Towing mirrors and was scared to drive on narrow roads . I don't even think about it now. The turning radius is a function of your wheelbase
Haha! Roger the lbs. I had those mirrors for for 7 years and was so happy to convert. They are excellent for towing though!
Old 07-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #36

Name: Phil
Trailer: Escape
Minnesota
Am currently towing a 5.0ta (2018) with a 2020 Sierra dbl cab, 3.0 diesel and 10 speed. 2000 mile trip north through the mountains from Tucson to near the Twin Cities, MN. Just over 17mpg avg at 65mph. Sweet engine and tranny combo.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape